Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » NHL Free Agency « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to TSN, Brad Stuart will return to Detroit for four years with a contract averaging $3.75 million per year.

Meanwhile, TSN is also reporting that Edmonton has traded Joni Pitkanen to Carolina for Erik Cole. Edmonton has gotten good, fast.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look for them to be one of the top teams next year in the west. As far as the east goes id love to see Mats Sundin or Marian Hossa go to Montreal, Le Habs is one of my favorite teams in the east. but the Red Wings dont need to change much either they got Stuart signed now so props to Ken Holland.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd still like to see them get Rolston or Sundin for one year.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8331
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It makes me wonder how Kronwall is feeling about all this. If Kronwall is making $3 mil a year and Stuart is making $3.5, does this upset the apple cart of talent?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lightning traded for the rights to Rolston on Monday. I think Sundin for 1 or 2 years makes the most sense.
Rolstons family is from Linden, Mi, just outside of Flint. When the Devils won the Stanley cup a few years ago, after sweeping the Wings, I was lucky enough to attended Rolstons Stanley cup party.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to ESPN, Rolston said he would test the market.

Scs100

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing big yet, unless you like Tampa Bay. They got Vrbata from Phoenix for 3 years, $9 million.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://redwings.nhl.com/team/a pp/?service=page&page=NewsPage &articleid=367320

Smogboy

Post Number: 8333
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ty Conklin signs on for a one year deal.

He could easily push Jimmy Howard and even give Chris Osgood a good spell too. Look what he did for Pittsburgh when Marc-Andre Fleury went down for a stretch.

Nice smart signing here and not for much money too. Another savvy Kenny Holland move.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conklin is the number 2 for sure.

Howard isn't NHL ready yet

Smogboy

Post Number: 8336
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather not settle on who's a number one, two or three in nets just yet. I'd rather let them duke it out in training camp and see who rises above it all. If Jimmy Howard or Conklin can swipe the reigns from Osgood, then more power to them!

Prime example was when Dom was anointed the number one before the playoffs. Osgood came in, took charge and led us to the promised land. I say leave it be, let the competition begin for the starting job -it's open!

Scs100

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian Campbell goes to Chicago, along with Huet. Chicago has gotten really good, really fast.

D_mcc

Post Number: 857
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog...Little different...

Goalies in the NHL take AWHILE to develop, very rarely (see MA Fluery) do goalies mature rapidly enough to start before they are 22-23.

Jimmy has seen very limited time between the pipes. While I do believe he is the goalie of Red Wings future...its gonna take him a couple years...the wings need an established back up to support ozzy when he needs a breather, and they got exactly that in Conklin...Howards at least a year from being an everyday back up..

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently TSN reported earlier that the Wings offered Hossa a 7 year deal worth around $7 million a year.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8340
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, forgive me for being somewhat skeptical of the Wings (nearly sacreligious!) but outside of Osgood, they've never really been strong when it comes to developing their goalies. Jimmy Howard might very well not be the goalie of the future. There have been the likes just recently of Stefan Liv, Joey MacDonald, Logan Koopmans, and Daniel Larsson that all have held promise. The majority of the Wings goaltenders that have held serve in the nets have always been relatively established goalies that we've traded for or acquired through different means.

I don't know if it's a Kenny Holland directive but even though they keep drafting them (this year's pick of Thomas McCollum), there rarely seems to be a goalie that rises up within our ranks to become the number one. If there is one weakness in the Detroit scouting system (again, more blasphemy!), it's that they seldom seem to get netminders who are diamonds in the rough.

And even if Conklin unseats Osgood this year as the number one goalie, I wouldn't mind as long as we have a stellar backstop in nets for us. He sparked the Penguins for awhile when Fleury was down so he seems to have the knack for solid play and I even remember his stellar international play when he was on the national team. Why he's never been rooted in with one team has always baffled me and why Pittsburgh decided not to sign him to mentor Fleury was stunning too.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, smogboy your right about that, but i think in about 6-7 years Thomas McCollum is going to be a great goalie. The Wings dont waste their drafts picks very often, and especially a first rounder used on a goalkeeper also.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 891
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stuart, Conklin, Hossa...all good signs.

Hopefully, Sean Avery is next on the list.

Retire McCarty, and his number, promote him to assistant coach, and we're good to go. Drop the puck.

Scs100

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Celebrate good times come on...

Hossa coming here for 1 year, $7.4 million according to TSN .

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?i d=242261&lid=headline&lpos=top Story_main

As for Avery, he is going to Dallas, according to TSN.

(Message edited by SCS100 on July 02, 2008)

D_mcc

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup...hossa... that is SICK

D_mcc

Post Number: 864
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smoggy...

Basically...you draft as many goalies as you can..because about 1 in 7 have the skills develop to NHL caliber

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been this excited about NHL Free Agency in about 5 years. Lot's of big names changing scenery, and a bunch of good deals for the Wings! I'm surprised Kolzig is out of Washington, and Cujo still ahs a job (ironically back in Toronto)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/ ?id=11353&lid=sublink02&lpos=t opRelated_main

Smogboy

Post Number: 8344
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Basically...you draft as many goalies as you can..because about 1 in 7 have the skills develop to NHL caliber"

What worries me about the Wings here is that while we can turn seventh round draft picks into gold, how come we can't seem to develop a goalie ourselves? Is Jim Bedard responsible for this? They draft well for forwards and defensemen very well but with goalies- no such luck. Where is our team's goalie development? Even within the last dozen or so years of Wings' goalie draft picks, who's really even playing at the NHL level? One in seven picks might even be generous.

Philosophically the Wings go out and bring in the best ESTABLISHED netminders out there as opposed to developing their own. They seem to let others mold them a little bit, get them battle tested and THEN bring them onboard. Obviously it's worked so far.

D_mcc

Post Number: 920
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog...its like baseball...some teams develop pitchers...and other people grab them after a few years.

Like Oakland...they always have an outstanding young pitching staff...but always trade away their guys.

The Wings have developed Osgood and Legace...its simply a matter of how good people are when they arrive. Thats why you are seeing an influx of European goalers. They play untill they are 23-24 before NHL teams even think about grabbing them after they have developed, simply because developing a goalie is so much more time consuming and labor intensive than say a blue-liner or a forward.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8346
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manny Legace wasn't a Detroit developed product. He was first drafted by LA, played the Long Beach Ice Dogs & Manitoba Moose.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.