Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » No. 38 will always be my Tiger! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you may know that I help run a baseball league for special-needs kids called the Miracle League of Michigan. We have a rubberized, wheelchair-accessible field in Southfield that allows physically disabled and developmentally disabled kids to play ball safely with the help of folks we call "buddies," able-bodied volunteers who help the players out when they need a little assistance. See www.michiganmiracle.org if you're interested in learning more
I didn’t find out until late Wednesday – and I was sworn to secrecy and couldn’t tell anyone else – that Jeremy Bonderman would be at the 11 a.m. Miracle League game Saturday!
He showed up right on time, with his lovely wife and his world-class-cute baby daughter, Miley, in tow.
He then “buddied” with our kids, helping them play ball on a beautiful Saturday. After that, there was a brief ceremony where we thanked him for his generosity of spirit in helping us, and also acknowledged the sizable cash contribution he gave the league a couple weeks ago. And he left loaded down with the many “Get Well Soon” cards our kids – and yours truly, the league announcer – gave him.
I did get an autographed ball and a picture of me and JB.
I also got a chance to talk to him a bit before he left. It seems that in the next couple of days he’s going to have surgery. The docs are going to REMOVE ONE OF HIS RIBS so they can better treat the blood clot in his shoulder that has ended the season for him.
Think about that for a minute.
His season has already ended. He’s going under the knife for an operation that sounds like it ain’t exactly a walk in the park. He must have all kinds of heavy thoughts running through his mind now.
But he still found it in him to keep a promise he made to a bunch of special-needs kids.
He’ll always be my Tiger!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A class act.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why it took me so long to look into this thread, Vic, but that was a fine testimony. I am delighted to hear that JB is that kind of guy.
The kids must have been totally geeked up over his appearance.
Thanks for sharing that report with us.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think probably the majority of the pro ball players are pretty decent folks. It's the minority of yo-yos that bring the whole profession down more than just a notch.

Pity.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 389
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned yesterday that the current version of "Tigers Weekly" on Fox Sports Detroit has a feature on the Miracle League and Bonderman's involvement with it. I believe it runs through Friday.
I do not appear in the feature, which only improves the quality of the broadcast.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8410
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great great story, Vic. I'm so glad to hear that one of our local sports guys took his time out to do such a touching thing for you guys. We don't hear enough stories like this about sports personalities much less regular people folk like you Vic. You need to take some credit yourself, Vic. Bravo to JB and you!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2939
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Vic, for sharing that story. It's really nice to hear about an athlete who's dealing with his own issues and is still willing to be there with his wife and child to instill some hope and inspiration for others. Bravo to Jeremy and his wife! And to the Miracle Network and all of their volunteers and supporters!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: