Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Hasek Retires « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channels 4 and 7 report that Dominic Hasek will announce his retirement at a press conference Monday morning. Looks like Jimmy Howard will finally get his chance. He should do well.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they put out a highlite video of his best saves. I'll buy it. Very unusual style he had. He would do anything to make a save. And even hated being scored on in practice. Having a slinky for a spine: Priceless. If you see him at a restaurant, toss a dinner roll at him. I guarantee he'll stop it.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8064
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know plenty of people were lavishing praise upon praise for Chris Osgood's play in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but there should be some shared credit for BOTH of our goalies in getting our team there to the President's Trophy. Having the home ice advantage was definitely a plus and Dom shared a good chunk of that responsibility throughout the regular season. The Jennings Trophy was definitely deserved by the Wings tandem. Dom's next stop will definitely be the Hall of Fame.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a radio show called Hockey Central 12:00-1:00 on the Fan in Toronto (yes even in summer). Draper was just on. Said what class acts Hasek and Chelios were to work their butt off in practice throughout the finals. Nick Kypreos commented what a tribute that was to the Wings organization. Draper also said he held the cup up on top of Cheli's roof and how cool it was to have people all over the streets and even in Comerica Park cheering it.
All you here in Toronto is how the Wings are the model organization and why can't the Leafs do something, anything to model themselves after them.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 725
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dom is a class act. He will be missed. Hopefully, Holland will find the right person to replace his wins.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howard will be the back-stop.

Craigd
Username: Craigd

Post Number: 4831
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How classy is a guy that will win the cup in '02 then quit? Classy is a guy like Yserman. Dedicated to his team during the bad times too. A life long Redwing.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8084
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craigd, now no one is going to question Steve Yzerman's class, but how can you question Hasek's classiness when he was the one brought on by the Red Wings as one of the pieces to help the team compete for the Cup? It's not like he was drafted by the team when he was a young man and some can say Dom was in the sunset of his career by the time he got here.

You can call it quit, retirement or whatever but I'd assume it's one of the toughest things that a player has to go through. He's hanging up his skates after countless years of being true to his profession. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make. Proof is in seeing how many pro athletes coming out of retirement year after year because the fire still burns within them. If one wants some measure of classiness by Hasek, even after he came back to the team and made it an awkward situation for the likes of Curtis Joseph and getting hurt- he returned his paycheck for the rest of the season that he didn't play. How many professional athletes would even consider that?

Dominik Hasek chose to go out on his own terms. Like Kenny Holland said about his retirement “Dom was completely at peace with the decision that he had made.” We can all hope to go out in that fashion. One doesn't have to go through lean years with an organization to prove their class or dignity.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about time. He has quit or threatened to for years now. He was getting hurt way too much and it was time for him to go. I detected some regret when he said this cup didn't mean as much because he wasn't starting. His time has past and I'm glad he has finally realized it.
Staying on any longer would have been painful for him and us to watch.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dom!

Craigd

Post Number: 4868
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, Perhaps a better word for Dominik's cup win with Detroit would be miraculous. He was a great goalie. Wasn't it his first cup? Six Vezina's and a couple Hart trophies it is no doubt Hasek is one of the best goalies of all time. I didn't think it was very classy to come to Detroit, win the cup and quit. No doubt a future hall of famer, perhaps the better word to describe him is miraculous. (both is ability and in timing)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8093
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craigd, I guess I'm still unclear of what you mean by Dom being unclassy about retiring. Even prior to all of the awards and accolades, he had been to the Stanley Cup Finals before only to lose it in a very controversial goal (Hull's foot was in the crease). Given his situation of languishing in Buffalo or coming to a contender, I'd make the same leap as well. And it was a trade that he might not have had much say in; it wasn't like Buffalo got nothing in compensation (Slava Kozlov, a first round pick and considerations).

Ray Bourque was another fine example of an older player leaving his old team to join a team to win the Cup. In this day of free agency, it's not that uncommon for people to move around anymore. Every player has to retire sometime and some just want to go out on top.

Craigd

Post Number: 4913
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just that I think class is not the correct terminology. I'm not taking anything away from him. I consider him one of the best goalies of his time including Patrick Roy. But that could be my prejudice coming out. It's hard to like anything about Colorado hockey being a life long Redwing fan. When I think of classy Redwing players, guys like Howe, Lindsey, Yserman, Lindstrom, among others come to mind before Hasek.

Downriviera

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goalies are a different breed. I never question what they do or how they act.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much did Hasek get from the Wings a few years ago after that groin injury put him out of service? How many regular season games did he play last season?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DR...

after being a tender for almost 16 years, playing HS and College...I can tell you...That it takes a certain type of individual to stand IN FRONT of a 90+ mph slap shot...willingly...

Jrvass

Post Number: 818
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to play goalie on our nearby pond. Chad Smith (drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers) was a forward. He took a slapshot at me and I blocked it with my leg. He thought he broke my leg, but I was wearing catcher's shin-guards under my jeans.

The tools of ignorance. As Mr. Harwell used to say.

Downriviera

Post Number: 809
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took some shots at Chad Smith in a practice for a charity game in Pittsburgh. As far as his goaltending skills go, all I can say is he is a great drummer. But I gave him big props for donning the pads.

Jrvass

Post Number: 822
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No shit? When I played against him he was a forward. He was about 14 and I was 12. I saw his Mom at my Dad's funeral. She and Mom still go out to dinner.

Somewhere I got a pic in my pile of crap of him holding a smallmouth bass that he caught in my boat.

Yeah... his practicing the drums in his bedroom ruined the fishing!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.