Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Best/ worst Detroit sports journalist « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7739
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was having this conversation with a few of my friends awhile back and really couldn't come up with a best journalist easily , but boy... could we come up with some lousy ones. So if anyone's got any nominations for either side of the ledger, let's have it and cite a reason or two as well.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7740
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of the lousy ones that popped to mind were Mitch Albom for his MSU basketball story that was bogus and Drew Sharp for his stating of the obvious articles.

Mitch's is obvious and should've been canned for fabricating a story but Drew's always stated the obvious in his articles and really doesn't come up with any interesting viewpoints. Read any of the Freep's reader comments after a Drew article and there are so many people calling for his scalp.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 661
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Puscas & Fall's... thumbs up!

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mick McCabe does a passable job covering the high school sports scene, but the late Hal Schram set the standard for HS sports journalism in Detroit.

I liked Mike Downey's columns in the Freep better than I've ever liked anything Mitch Albom has done.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7741
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call Gary on Mick McCabe. Considering how many games are going on in a particular night, Mick seems to get around and still write a pretty competent article about the high school scene. It might not get a lot of ink in the sports section (what does anymore?) but at least it's accurate and well thought out.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary- good call on Mike Downey. As far as Detroit he was the best. Mitch doesn't even come close, even with the articles that aren't telling the truth.

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drew sharpe without a doubt. They have this idiot covering the wings and he doesn't even know what a Gordie Howe hat trick is!
yeah diversity!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a real treat when Rob Parker writes about hockey.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat Caputo is the best IMO.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, have a high opinion of Pat Caputo.

My all-time favorite was George Puscas, who died recently. He was an insightful observer of boxing, and was in top writing form at the same time Muhammad Ali was in his heyday.

When I was younger, I found Joe Falls to be irritating, particularly when he would drone on about stuff like the crab cakes in Baltimore, but my view of Falls came to be an example of how funny it is, that as one becomes older, certain other people seem to become smarter. Falls was a helluva witty guy and a fine writer, and I was just too young (a long time ago) to know it.

Fantasyfanatic
Username: Fantasyfanatic

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Killer Tom Kowalski may not be a Pulitzer prize candidate, but I think he's the man when it comes to Lions information.

Ravine

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to DetroitYes!, Tom. We are pleased to see that you have joined us, and eagerly look forward to your future posts.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob Parker

20043_stotter

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst of all is Dan Miller when he does the lyin's games. He's sickening when for mere mediochre plays he yells and goes over the top. When they score a touchdown or field goal, You would think they won the superbowl. It's no secret that he's is Millens close pal and that's how he got the job with the lyin's. He's on the Lyin's payroll to act like an ass.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 946
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lyin's... That is grea!

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant great!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7957
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan Miller's got a tough gig. Not only does he have to do the play-by-play for the Lions, but he's still the sports director for WJBK. Does anyone remember last year after a horrendous game, poor Dan got the stink eye heaved his way because he was no longer the Ford family slappy and had to become the journalist?

That being said, as a play-by-play guy for the local teams they have to be supportive and a bit of a homer for the team they call. Blaha, Kal, Champion, Dickerson, and all of the local play-by-play guys do it to a certain extent. Who would want to listen to a boring drab announcer?

But as an honest objective broadcast journalist, I don't think Dan Miller is that bad at all. Look at the weekend sports show that he does on Fox 2. He's got some pretty savvy insights.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree except for his Lyin's broadcasts. He should be B-slapped and sent on his merry way. Now Brandstetter is a different story with the lyin's. He tells it as it is, lousy playing and lousy team.

Ravine

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'wanna know what irritates me? (I don't know why I asked; I intend to tell you, anyway.)
For most of the past not-so-few years, Mitch Albom, who used to write almost-daily sports columns for the Detroit Free Press, has kept himself busy by spreading himself into as many different forms of media as he possibly could. Small wonder (double-entendre intended) that he stooped (requiring only the slightest of movements) to pretending (read: "lying") that he attended a sporting event; who's got the time?
However, now that we have starring roles in a bodacious sports double-feature, this self-important little annelid has been finding the time to provide the Free Press, and us, with the dubious blessing of a column on the front page of the sports section EVERY DAMNED DAY.
Fuck off, Mitch. You don't matter anymore. I don't know of anyone who is interested in your "take" on any of this stuff. Don't go away mad...

Smogboy

Post Number: 7970
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the wrist slap the Freep gave little Mitch when he was busted for his fabrication?

I agree with you (again), Ravine about Mitch Albom. The Free Press lost a lot of credibility in my book when they wouldn't broom him for such an obvious breach of public trust. Why they still continue to keep him onboard for his musings is beyond me. They should've shown him the door and let him continue his career as a fiction writer.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Rosenburg guy at the Freep is ok.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9135
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob Parker is eating crow big time this morning...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081029/S PORTS0202/810290368/&imw=Y

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parker is a douchebag...

We should run him out of town for the second time...

If i sent him a fucking text message...he would probably write an article about how I saw Rudi Johnson

Smogboy

Post Number: 9137
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mlive.com has even more detail on what Parker did...

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/ index.ssf/2008/10/kirk_cousins _father_this_is_ju.html#more

Talk about the lack of credibility and yes, I know that his bit on WDIV is and was about rumors, but c'mon Wob... let's not start mentioning names UNTIL you get the facts straight. It's one thing to say there was a scuffle and there were MSU players involved but don't release names until you're 110% sure.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9148
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not forget that Rob Parker was also the guy that called Henry Aaron a "coward" for not following Barry Bonds run at the homerun record. It's one thing to write about why Aaron didn't care about Barry Bonds, the homerun record, the steroids controversy and just about anything else with baseball but to call out one of the legends of the game as a "coward" is tasteless and crass at the very best. For a journalist who's job is to be a wordsmith, boy... did Rob choose poorly there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.