Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Random St. Jude memories:

Remember the donuts and chocolate milk on First Friday?

I remember when the milk machines with paper cartons replaced the little glass bottles that they had before. I would use any excuse to get out of the room to go over to the milk machine. I'd spend five cents and quickly slug down a carton of chocolate milk.

I was in charge of selling the Better Made potato chips in the seventh grade. Sr. Marian Elizabeth fired me from the job because my handwriting was too sloppy.

Sr. Ellen Therese (Bozo) slugged me in the ear two times because I was talking during May Crowning practice.

I'm glad that others remembered Danny the Ice Cream Man. I started a thread about him about a year ago and did not get many posts.

"Strawberry, orange, banana, grape, sky blue......"

I bet that the St. Jude blacktop is still covered with multi-colored splotches from all the dropped popsicles.

When I started at St Jude, the tuition was $20 per year per family. My family always had at least two or three kids at St. Jude for a good twenty year span. Seven of us graduated in all.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman, I was chip captain in sixth grade. The boxes were stored in the closet on the gym floor. If a bag was torn, and you were brave enough to risk having a cockroach jump out at you, the bag was yours. Few were brave enough, but we would check those bags over with a magnifying glass for very tiny tears, creases almost, and sort of stretch them a little. Especially the barbecue chips and the barbecue shoestrings.
Does anyone remember Pagan babies? Sr. Paul Therese was queen of the pagan babies.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman- When did you graduate from SJS?

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering that too, $20 dollars for tuition!!

Jokerman

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman-SJS class of 1964.

$20 was the tuition when I started SJS. I began first grade in 1956.

Jcole

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman, my sister was your age, I think. Did you graduate HS in 1969?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt Jokerman! An entire family could receive a catholic education for what is now the price of a couple of movie tickets. Does anyone know what the current tuition structure is at East Catholic?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Additional memories: Farm Maid Milk chocolate or white $0.05 (in a cubed carton with foil on one corner)
On certain First Fridays (remember the 3 hr fast before communion)a special order for milk 5 cents, a powdered doughnut 7 cents or danish roll 13 cents. A quarter got all three. Every student's order was called out loud before going to the desk and receiving the order. I always got all three. Man I was hungry and they were good. It seems the price of the First Friday orders remained the same throughout the 60s

The hotdog sale during school in the gym.
If you got a rubber hotdog you'd win a prize.
Some of the cupcakes had a nickle wrapped in wax paper inside as a surprise.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole - I sure do remember being a "chip" girl and looking for those tiny little rips that indicated a free bag! If I looked hard enough, I'd probably find my "adoption" certificates for a couple of Pagan Babies. Didn't we get to name them?
Kellyroad - I had forgotten about the nickle in the cupcake! I remember being a lucky one and finding a nickle. Remember Mrs. Sullivan the school secretary/nurse/mom on site? I think she was there forever.
St. Jude was filled this Saturday from 7:00am-1pm. 6 priests for confession, Bishop Quinn celebrating Mass - what a joy to welcome so many to "our" church and invite them back!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All....here we go........SJS class od '66 (Miss Batche)..I remember Mrs. Sullival living on Linnhurst above Greg Zeidel so he always had the inside info on what was what.......KR..living on Eastwood always seemed to keep the blacktop as our own special place whereas those who lived in the Blue or Green section were simply "visitors"........the Cherry section was the coolest.....when I moved to astwood from Springarden (G.A. for 1st and 2nd grade) it seemed liked a million miles away........its funny when you get older and start to drive that it turns out to be less than a mile away.....and seeing real bells ring every day at 8A.M., noon and 6 P.M. was like living in Europe. I would run to the blacktop every night at 6 just to watch them ring.........

Campfire_girl

Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cherry section WAS the coolest - no doubt! I was 1&2 at Grotto - before coming to St. Jude for 3-8. The bells at St. Jude are still the best - no comparison to the bells I hear from my home now, coming from St. Slys.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first of all.ooo........sorry for the sp's on Mrs. sullivaN and Eastwood.....and Grotto.hmmmm..... the scariest cemetery anywhere.........my brother (13 yrs. older).....would take me there (after watching either Twilight Zone or Thriller) and telling me that whatever ghost story was REAL!.......I'm still affected by that!..

Kellyroad

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now we're getting into the nitty gritty details..I guess that what makes nostalgia so special..our personal connections to the past and hopefully someone else has that same connection:

7K: Ah yes the Zeidels on Lindhurst (had the biggest picture window in the neighborhood). I had completely forgot that Mrs. Sullivan lived above the Zeidels. Instead I thought she lived on Faircrest above the Kleins (next to the Worleys) right down the street from Campfire_girl. Maybe she lived at both locations...???
Yes, 7 K those bells were special. We could see them partially through houses at a certain spot on our driveway, but running to or riding a bike to the blacktop was even more special. The apex of the church with the statue of St. Jude on top could be seen through my parents bedroom window. I remember as an altar boy it was a big deal to be allowed to activate all three bells after a wedding. There were 3 key switches located in the scaristy..I guess that was a reward for serving a wedding. You could feel the sacristy shake when all three of the bells were pealing....The stuff we took for granted when we were kids.

Ms. Batche lived on Eastwood between Rex and Morang. My memory of her goes back to when our family lived on Morang (even before I attended St. Jude) during our walks around the block. Ms Batche would have a cookie ready for a certain 3-4 yr old on his journey back towards his house...never had her as a teacher though.

Campfire_girl: Your enthusiasm and updates for present day St. Jude is very much appreciated. Does St. Jude still have spaghetti dinners? The spaghetti dinners are what my kids (now in their 20s) remember about St. Jude while visiting their Grandparents.

Jokerman

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCOLE, I graduated HS in 68 from ND.

Jcole

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman,
My sister graduated from Regina in 69. Her name was Fran Cole. She was St. Jude all 8 yrs.
I graduated from SJS in 70 and I was at Regina from 70-73, when we moved to Almont.We lived right on Maddelein between Redmond and Boulder. I think we had 6 Detroit cops on our block, including my Dad. I still miss the old neighborhood.

The bells after a wedding at SJS were truly beautiful,with their joyous peal and soooo dreary after a funeral. I will always remember that tolling sound.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad: - Mrs. Sullivan may have lived above the Kleins - who were right across the street from us - because I know they had rented out their upstairs for years. I don't remember her there.....but that doesn't mean anything. I loved reading the stories about the blacktop - and flying across there on my bike - also getting roped into selling snowcones at the festival! Our parents were always volunteering at St. Jude, whether was PTG (Parent Teacher Guild) members, Campfire leaders or "Duty" mothers. Yes, my enthusiasm has continued at St. Jude, but never more than now. The new pastor is dedicated to keeping St. Jude an active parish and that can't help but make me want to help in the efforts! We had our annual Mardi Gras which was a great success and will shortly have our annual block party. That would be a perfect opportunity to gather those that can make it back for a visit after Mass.......then maybe we could plan a Spaghetti dinner! :-) Watch the St. Jude website for up-dates and current activities - or stop by for Mass on Sat (4:00) or Sun (9&11)

Jokerman

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the fourth grade. Our classroom was in the church. Sr. Louis Arthur was our teacher. One day, we were assigned silent reading or seatwork. Sister was sitting at her desk, holding a book in her hands, silently reading. We noticed that she was fast asleep when we could hear her snoring. Needless to say, we all started fooling around. Eventually the noise caused her to wake up suddenly. As she did, the book went flying into the air and hit the ceiling. It was hilarious! I'll never forget it.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our third grade class, Room 109, actually had the ceiling fall in on it. One of the kids, said "Mrs. Huget, I think the ceiling's falling". She yelled for us to get under our desks as a section of ceiling really fell down. We got to finish our classes in the gym, with Father Ording asking us if we were the chicken little class with the sky falling in!

Jcole

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire_girl,
Yes, I was in that class, too. I think if was Gerald Cicotte that told Mrs. Huget. Remember all that asbestos and black tar paper all over everything?
What campfire troop were you in?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Living on Maddeleine between Redmond and Bolder.....You probably knew the Badowskis and the Coughlins who lived the 2nd and 3rd house off Bolder repectively.....See previous cubscout picture in this post

An interesting tidbit I learned is that the bells originally rang at 6 AM, 12 Noon, and 6PM to indicate the time of the Angelus but there were so many complaints by those living near the church that the time was changed to 8AM.

Jcole

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I remeber the Badowski's and Caughlin's although the Coughlin's lived in the middle of the block, 7 house in from Boulder. They lived directly accross the street from me. Third house in next door to Badowski's was the Hendricks' family. Mother was a nurse named Meryl, father a Detroit cop named Marion. Caughlin's father was a lawyer. i think there were six kids, but I can only remember Maggie. They moved to Grosse Pte, and switched to St. Clare de Montefalco, I think.
I used to love to climb their cherry tree. The sewer cover in front of their house was 1st base for street ball.
In the cubscout pic, are one of the boys Stevie or Jimmy B.?
I was very close friends with Steve up until high school. He was a choir boy, if I remember correctly, and hung with Mike Sawicki.
Jimmy B grew up to be the drum major and ND.If you knew them, did you know the Dugan's or Bradley's, 4th houses in from Boulder on opposite sides of the steet.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two cubscouts on the left in front are Jim B and Billy Coughlin. The Hendricks name is really familiar perhaps from scouts. Not sure about Dungan or Bradley. The last time I saw Jim B was at ND alumni basketball night in the late 70s. Billy's Couglins dad authored some books which I believe my mom may have copies of.

Jcole

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad,
Do you remember if Mrs. Coughlin was also a writer. For some reason, that sticks in my head. I may be confusing her with her husband.
Also, where did you live and what year did you grad from SJS?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: I sure do remember all that stuff raining down on us. Good thing we had the REALLY old desks that would have saved us if the roof fell in, instead of just the ceiling! I think Colleen Coughlin was part of our class through the years. Mike Sawicki and family are still very active at St. Judes - as choir and Parish Council members. Mike and his wife, Vivian did an incredible Genesis reading at Easter Vigil. My Campfire group had Mom as the leader and members: Lori Shaheen, Donna Dee, Mary & Marge Wolf, Bev Zach, Mary Jo Hulen, Susan Gallas....I'm probably missing some

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking for KR I lived on Eastwood between Rex and Redmond (across the street from KR and Lori Shaheen and down the street fromk Sue Gallas)

Jcole

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire, I was in the group with Anita Schmidt's sister as leader, and then Sandy Root's sister took over. We were on the north side of 7 Mile. It's funny how we had the dividing lines even within the Parish. 7 Mile, State Fair, Kelly Rd., Heilman. was my biggest sphere of movement until I was older.
I'm really glad to hear Mike and Viv are doing well. I lost touch with him a few years back, and have wondered what he was up to. We were close a long time.
I remember a Larry Shaheen, was he Lori's brother?

Duck
Username: Duck

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. I'm Jokerman's brother, Rick, SJS class of 66. Got my nickname "Duck" because, in eighth grade, I shot baskets "like a duck." The name stuck through high school at Notre Dame and Denby. Even today, some old friends still greet me as such. Although I made the football and basketball teams in eighth grade, I sucked at sports. Mostly, I was a bench-warmer. But, under the lights, in the Blue Jug Bowl game of 1965, Coach Steve Gerbe put me in for one play and I intercepted a pass. In basketball, I scored a total of two points the entire season. But it was a "swish."

In first grade, I had Sr. Madonna Marian, she was so nice. Second grade, Mrs. Zola. In third grade, I had Sr. Stella Coeli. I was an honor student with many pins to prove it.

Again, in fourth grade, I had Mrs. Zola. She couldn't believe how I changed from a "nice little Grade A student" to a "discipline problem."I got several green slips in conduct. "Richard is slipping," she wrote home to my mom. Once, she tried to grab my hair to correct me. But it was too short. So she pulled my ear. Yow!

Fourth grade was also the year I got kicked-out of cub scouts. (Den 8, pack 420.)
We were crafting an Easter egg popsicle-stick cart in-tow by a cardboard bunny. I told the den mothers it looked like a "beer wagon." Then, I called them by their first names. That's when they called my dad to come and pick me up.

On the first day of fifth grade, I was greeted with " I've heard about you, mister. I'm going to keep my eye on you," by Sr. Marie Francis. She was a dominatrix of a nun. She was big, tall and tough. Although she had a slight lisp because of her overbite, her deep, raspy voice was like a cross between Dick Da Bruiser and Louis Nye. She wasn't going to take any "guff" from any of us. "You're all a bunch of babies. You're bold as brass. More crust than all the pie factories in the United States."

She would rap her nun ring on the window at other students playing outside of our portable classroom. It was almost as if she were flipping them the bird. It all might have been an attempt to teach us obedience to authority and conformity. And it probably worked for a while. But it might have helped to instill the very roots of the anarchistic theory that many of us espoused to in the late sixties.

In sixth grade, we were all so cool. I was fortunate, I thought, to get Mr. Fleming, the only male teacher at SJS. He addressed everyone by their last names. I thought it was pretty cool. Until, at least once a week, he'd point his number two pencil at me and say, "Pesta, I'll see you after school." During these detentions, we had to write a million sentences about how we wouldn't screw around in class anymore. Once, we had to write the definition of "time" from Webster's dictionary (because we "wasted his.") It's about two pages long.

I got kicked-out of Mr. Eck's boys choir that year, too.

In seventh grade, I had Sr. Mary John. She was nice and politically intuitive. Very much into civics and government. We held mock elections for the 1964 presidential election. I was the committee chairman for LBJ. Michael K. was chairman for Goldwater. Just as in the real world, our team won by a landslide.

My friend Chuck T. and I got busted for smoking cigarettes in the restroom by the crying room in the church. Got reported by an eighth-grade duty girl. Sr. Leonita made us go see Fr. Ording. We thought we really in for it. But he was cool. He just made us pick up litter outside the church. We were done in five minutes.

In eighth grade, I had Sr. James Marie. She was matter-of-fact and to-the-point. Tough. Fair. Rigid. She had a deep manly voice with a slight New Jersey accent. She was a sports fan. She invited all of the football players to stand up during class and receive applause from the rest of the class. Although I sat the bench, I got to stand up. "These are real men," she'd say.

One day, there was some sort of parental event occurring after school. All the eighth graders were in the gym. Coffee was brewing in the big vats in the kitchen. Sister caught me with my hand on the spigot as half the coffee was draining out. She slapped me down in front of the entire class. I didn't cry or anything. And I said nothing.

A few minutes later, she discovered what I already knew. I didn't turn it on, I turned it off.

So she, with the utmost eloquence, commended me, in front of the whole class, for "taking it like a man" and not "ratting-out" the guilty party. My face was still red from the slap-down. That's when I felt like crying.

God bless St. Jude School.

By the way, three years later, I got kicked-out of Notre Dame High School. I graduated from Denby, graduated from Wayne State University and I've been a writer in advertising for more than 30 years. Married for 33 years. Three kids, all college graduates. One grandchild and one more on the way.

Now, I'm a conservative republican in Grosse Pointe Woods. And, at times, I attend Mass at St. Jude Church.

(Message edited by Duck on April 01, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire_girl: There is a blue bird/campfire girl not mentioned....I'll have to get my sister to join in on this thread. My brother still keeps a friendship with the Shaheens. I'm wondering if Michael Sawicki is related to Julius Sawicki(lived on Eastburn and was a good friend of my dad)

J Cole: As 7K pointed out I lived on Eastwood between Rex and Redmond (the apex of the church could be seen through my parents bedroom). Baptized in SJ (gym) 53, graduated from SJS 67, parents still lived in the area until the 90s, Involved in scouts, altarboy The dynamics of the church, school, and nearby neighborhood was very special especially given the number of kids in the neighborhood and attending the school.

It's nice to see that the church and school are still going strong. So many nearby parishes and schools are now gone. ND gone, Regina moved, St. Brendan parish, GA etc. I realize that the school is no longer St. Jude (East Catholic now) but it is still part of the fabric of the St. Jude community. Isn't the school team name now the eagles?
I still have a St. Jude Jets blue and gold ski cap that I wear when shoveling the first snow of the season. Takes me right back

Eastburntoo
Username: Eastburntoo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad,

I haven't been back to the old hood for a few years now, and please excuse my ignorance, but where DID Regina go? And when did Notre Dame go away. Wow, breaks my heart. It seems like all the saving graces have split.

I can't remember if it was on this thread or not, but I also remember when the south end of Heilmann field was an anti-aircraft installation, and when the swimming pool was outside. Around 1957 I believe. I used to go swimming there with a buddy of mine named Richard Truckey, and they would play modern (for then) pop tunes over the loudspeakers.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duck: Thanks for the stories, many self deprecative but highly entertaining. Your cub scout story reminded of me of the time I almost got kicked out of cubscouts....It was scout week (the cub scouts and scouts got to wear their uniforms to school). During the Sr. Leonita's PA announcement my buddy, Rick O. started laughing. Laughter is very contagious, suppressing laughter makes it worse. The next thing I knew Sr. Robert Marie yanked me out of my desk, hauled me down to the principal's office where both Sr. Leonita and Robert Marie chastised me for being disrespectful and a disgrace to the cub scout uniform. I was told to go home and get out of the uniform. The most embarrassing part was having to go to the 8th grade class to ask Sr. James Marie (Jimmy Jet) for a safety patrol boy to walk me across 7 Mile and take me home while I got in to my "civies". I'm not sure if humiliation as a negative reinforcement stuck with me but I did learn there is a time and place for laughter and respect for authority is paramount. YES, God Bless St. Jude School