Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old Car Factories » Archive through September 27, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are starting to tear down the GMC plant on Woodward and South Blvd.You can see the work being done from Rapid street.I'll try to take some pics on my way home today.

Luckycar

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GMC coming down.
Looking west from Woodward.

Corner of Woodward and South Blvd.

Luckycar

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attachment descriptions aren't loading?Oh well more posts.1st one is taken from east side of plant,cranes with claws are tearing down parts of the plant.Second one is the sign on the corner of Woodward and South Blvd.If you drive west on South Blvd. you can see the place looks empty.

Woodwardave
Username: Woodwardave

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been out of Michigan for many years, but I remember reading that Dodge Main had closed in the early 1980's.

What happened to the site? When did they tear down the buildings? What is there now?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dodge Main was torn down in 1981-'82 to make way for the new GM Poletown plant, which was built to replace Fleetwood on Fort and Clark street for (mostly) Cadillacs. The Buick Rivera and Olds Toranado models were also built there.
I took many slides of the demolition of Dodge main, I'll have to scan them and post them.

(Message edited by 56packman on July 23, 2007)

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dodge Main was torn down in 1981-'82 to make way for the new GM Poletown plant, which was built to replace Fleetwood on Fort and Clark street for (mostly) Cadillacs. The Buick Rivera and Olds Toranado models were also built there."

I thought Poletown was built to eventually replace the Cadillac final assembly plant at Michigan & Clark. Although I think they kept that plant open until 1987. Fleetwood on Fort St. was a Fisher Body plant. Maybe when Fisher Body Division was dissolved they moved those functions within the final assembly plants. Perhaps someone will enlighten me.

Mike_m
Username: Mike_m

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodwardave, as Packman said, the Dodge Main (and a whole lot more) was demolished to make way for a modern GM plant. In a very controversial action, the City of Detroit acquired and cleared a huge swath of land to the south and west of Dodge Main, demolishing everything from schools, to churches, to homes, to clear the way for the GM plant. Read these for a little more background:

http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/20/2006/1844

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/62684/67759.html

Poletown 1961

Poletown 1981

Poletown 1997

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The General Motors Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant was designed to produce a new family of front-wheel drive Body Frame Integral (BFI) passenger vehicles that were intended to replace the Body on Frame (BOF), rear wheel drive vehicles that were built at the older Cadillac and Fleetwood facilities. The Fisher Body Fleetwood plant produced welded, painted and trimmed car bodies which were then trucked over to the Cadillac plant in specialized body carriers. The Cadillac plant assembled the powertrain and chassis components onto the vehicle frame, then dropped the finished body onto it and installed the painted fenders and hood and bumpers.

The old Detroit facilities were functionally obsolete due to their inability to be converted to build the next-generation BFI-type vehicles, which were originally scheduled to debut in the 1985 model year. The City of Detroit desperately wanted to keep those jobs and resorted to the use of "eminent domain" to quickly acquire the land which was then offered to GM for what became the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant.

Bate
Username: Bate

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos mikem. Makes you think the companies with the demolition contract made out quite well on that job. Not very often a job involves square miles of demo and removal.

Woodwardave
Username: Woodwardave

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photos Mikeg. A lot has changed since I left - not much of it for the better it seems.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodwardave, the Library of Congress sponsored photographers to document many of the buildings demolished to make way for the Poletown plant.

Here's the link to the Dodge Main pics, over 300 of them:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ query/D?hh:1:./temp/~ammem_xGy e::

If that link doesn't work, search for Dodge Main or Poletown.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/co llections/habs_haer/

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6327
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler Transport, they must have recycled numbers on plants, here's a photo I found of plant 5.

Chrysler_transport
Username: Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, they may have had a number reorganization at some point. Perhaps when they took over Dodge plants they renamed them? I wish we could make out what product is in those trucks, that would be a clue. (I just returned from vacation, thanks everyone for the previous posted info.)

MIKE_M what is marked in red in this post...Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:16 pm? The smaller one on the right of the photo, i need the name of it.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler_transport, that's where the Hupp factory was located. I posted a few photos of it on page 15 of the OCF thread.

Bate

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a new find at the Hamtramck Heritage Collection; a number of Dodge Main Photos. Use the up & back arrows or index for more.

http://www.hamtramck.lib.mi.us/hhc/large-121.html

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harry Ferguson's Detroit Factory and Tractor 1947.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dodge Main and the Dodge Brothers Historic Marker to be dedicated on Labor Day

Several events are scheduled:
The History of Dodge Main, Sunday, September 2, 2007, 2pm. Charles K. Hyde, author of the Dodge Brothers (Wayne State University Press, 2005) speaks on the history of Dodge Main in Hamtramck. The lecture takes place at the Hamtramck Public Library located at 2360 Caniff.

Dedication of the Dodge Brothers/Dodge Main Historic Marker, Veterans Park, Hamtramck, Monday, September 3, 2007, 11am. Charles K. Hyde, author of the Dodge Brothers (Wayne State University Press, 2005) will be the featured speaker at the dedication of this new State of Michigan Historic Marker commemorating Dodge Main and the Dodge Brothers. The site is Veterans Park located at the southern end of Joseph Campau Avenue in Hamtramck.

And I've heard that there will be some classic Dodge cars participating in the Polish Day Parade, Monday, September 3, 2007, 1:00pm. Wrap up the weekend with the 27th Hamtramck Labor Day Festival and enjoy live music, good food, and festival rides and games. http://www.hamtramckfestival.o rg/

Bate

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After many recently wasted hours at work I have to pass this one along:

http://www.archive.org/browse. php?field=/metadata/subject&co llection=prelinger&view=cloud

The automotive manufacturing, advertising, and car culture films are not to be missed. I have seen a number of these films here and there across the internet, but not all in one place and then some. Don't miss "Detroit City on the Move" listed under "Detroit, MI". Enjoy

(Message edited by bate on August 21, 2007)

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey online Sanborners,
Can you check the early maps for 981 Beaufait? I read there was a Scripps-Booth plant at that locatiom which GM later used, but the Google map sends me to an area that doesn't seem to match the map photo of the Sanborn info I have. I ran into a man who was showing his S-B at the Dream Cruise and he thought the cars were made near Piquette.

Sven1977

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh never mind. There is a good explanation about Scripps-Booth on OCF-15. Thanks.

56packman

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are pictures of the Briggs manufacturing/Packard Conner assembly plant that was located at Conner and E.Warren.
Built by Briggs in 1940 for aircraft work, it became an automotive body plant after WWII, Briggs produced bodies for Packard there.
Briggs was sold to Chrysler in 1953, and Chrysler built the 1954 Packard bodies, basically keeping that plant doing what it did before the Briggs sale. Packard leased the facility from Chrysler in the fall of 1954, tore up their assembly line at East Grand Boulevard and moved it to Conner. The new V-8 engines and Ultramatic transmissions were made in Utica at the plant on Mound and 23 mile, shipped to Conner for assy. into the chassis. Packard stamped, fabricated and painted the bodies then final assembled the 1955-'56 cars in this plant. It was torn down in the summer of 1959 by Chrysler after Studebaker-Packard's lease ran out.

Conner aerial

conner street  level

it is an empty lot today

(Message edited by 56packman on September 04, 2007)

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow great stuff!
I didn't have a picture of that plant, thanks.
Are those rail road tracks on the left?
Is the top north? with conner on the right?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome collection of history, great job

Kathleen

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2007 Historic Auto Literature Sale
(Saturday, September 8th only)

The Benson Ford Research Center of The Henry Ford is selling its oversupply of automotive literature. Everything from A to Z and in-between, including the Big Three and foreign manufacturers. – Includes sales literature materials, parts and service manuals and more!

Free admission, 9am - 5pm
Benson Ford Research Center

SOURCE: http://www.thehenryford.org/vi llage/events/ocf/default.asp

Kathleen

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dodge Brothers/Dodge Main historic marker was dedicated this past Monday on Labor Day. The great-grandson of Horace Dodge was in attendance, with his wife, and his 1915 Dodge that has remained in the family all this time!

From the online Hamtramck Star website:
"A state historical marker was dedicated on Monday in remembrance of Dodge Main. Pictured with the memorial are author Charlie Hyde, Yvonne Myrick, a representative from the Chrysler Corporation, Greg Kowalski, Mayor Majewski, president of Dodge Brothers car club, Gerry Egland, State Senator Martha Scott, and James Velliky of the Dodge Brothers Club."

For photos: http://hamtramckstar.com/index .php/2007/09/06/dodge_main_mar ker_dedication

Freep coverage: PRESERVING PLANT'S MEMORY :
Celebrating auto heritage in Hamtramck : Historical marker near old Dodge Main site dedicated

"On this celebration of Labor Day, we should also note that along with a couple of GM factories in Flint, Dodge Main was the birthplace of the United Automobile Workers and the modern labor movement in Michigan," said keynote speaker Charles Hyde, a Wayne State University history professor.

The marker will "help to preserve the memory of Dodge Main and the hundreds of thousands of men and women who worked there over the 70 years the plant operated," Hyde said."

Full story and photos at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007709040319

56packman

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler transport--Yes, the picture is looking north. E.Warren is at the top of the picture, Conner to the right. Yes, those are railroad tracks to the left (no self-respecting auto factory was built without rail access back then). The Chrysler Mack ave. engine plant sits on the other side of those rail tracks today.

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any chance i can get the full size photo?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Packard leased the facility from Chrysler in the fall of 1954, tore up their assembly line at East Grand Boulevard and moved it to Conner."

I wonder what the reasoning behind that decision was.

56packman

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packard converted what was a body stamping/fabrication/paint plant into an assembly plant by compressing the former functions into one corner of the plant and bringing over one of their assembly lines from east Grand Boulevard. (why buy an assembly line when you own one that will sit idle) Packard bought all of its bodies from Briggs manufacturing beginning with the 1941 Clipper body. After the WWII they found that the dies for the "senior" (big, expensive Packard) cars were damaged in outdoor storage due to improper protection, leaving them with only the Clipper body. Briggs made all of the dies and produced the ’41-’47 Clipper body, the '48-'50 "bathtub" re-skin of the Clipper body and the '51-56 bodies. After Chrysler purchased Briggs in 1953 they stated initially that they would continue to operate portions of Briggs for other customers, namely Hudson and Packard. Chrysler kept Packard supplied for the 1954 model year, operating the plant as Briggs had in previous years. At some point there wasn’t enough money in it for Chrysler and they served Packard notice that they would have to go elsewhere (it was the end of an era, there was no "elsewhere" any more).

Packard could have leased the Conner plant and operated a separate body fab plant there and shipped the bodies to the boulevard to final assemble, they could have moved all of the equipment to the EGB plant and (again) set up a whole body fab department, but instead they decided to lease Conner form Chrysler (which Chrysler was only too eager to do) since the equipment was already there and working and get out of the multi-story "old school" EGB plant and into the modern, single floor Conner plant for final assembly. As I stated in the initial post, they had transferred the engine and transmission machining and assembly to the new plant in Utica (built for J-47 jet engine contracts that went away at the end of the Korean war) and all of these efforts were seen as an incremental way to modernize Packard's operations, which dated back to the 1930's (the last big technological advance) in most cases.
The move to Conner was to have saved $12 million, but in the end it cost $12 million. The plant was very cramped, men were on top of each other in places, the loading docks were inadequate for a final assembly plant, truck drivers had to wait to unload their part loads, sometimes they had to spend a night in a motel waiting their turn (which Packard paid for) and there was no room for a repair line, cars had to shipped over to EGB to a repair line there. Sometimes a whole hauler worth of cars went straight to a dealer with red tags on the dash reading "won't start" "engine runs, trans defective", "radio doesn't work", etc. Most of this was in the early days at the plant, late '54-early '55. The cars were complicated enough, the 1955 models had a new engine, new transmission, new full torsion-level suspension with electronic automatic leveling and a new (remarkable) outer body re-skin led by Dick Teague.

1955 was a good sales year for everyone, including Packard but the problems with the 1955 models left the public wary. The 1956 models were a world better in quality, but to no avail. The cost of bringing the company up to date (long overdue),declining sales combined with the crushing costs of running Studebaker used up all of the cash Packard had.

They attempted to borrow more from wall street and insurance companies, but those institutions had not gotten back the principal on what they lent in '53 and weren't about to front any more money. In the summer of '56 it became apparent that there would not be the necessary money to make the all-new 1957 body shell and that was the end. Curtis-Wright was hooked up to buy S-P by the Eisenhower administration, who did not want a large company to go under just before a presidential election. Curtis-Wright needed a tax write-off to balance against all of the cold war business they were involved in, and Packard had military contracts that were appealing. C-W shut all Detroit (Packard) operations down and sent a few people to South Bend to attempt making a Packard there.

The '57-'58 "Packabakers" were the result, a badge-engineered Studebaker. The Packard name continued until 1962, after which it was quietly dropped.

Sven1977

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before WWII, what major manufacturers had final assembly plants were outside the Michigan/Toledo area? I know Studebaker was in Indiana.