Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories « Previous Next »
Eastwood memories - ArchivesKellyroad1530 52 10-05-08  12:14 pm
Archive through October 13, 2008Eastburn30 10-13-08  10:25 pm
Archive through October 22, 2008Kellyroad30 10-22-08  1:28 pm
Archive through December 05, 2008Kellyroad30 12-05-08  1:39 am
Archive through February 08, 2009Jcole30 02-08-09  11:36 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im looking at a house on Eastwood. The living room is on the right (as you look at it from the street) and the dining area, kitchen, and driveway are on the left. Maybe I'm looking at it backwards. Its the opposite of most bungalows I've seen. The stairs are even in a weird spot, the the layout flows well.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fresh cut pussy willows from the tree in back of the garage adorn the kitchen table in the bay window. Little dogs can now be seen walking with their two legged friends in tow. The crocuses will push their way up any day now.

Slowly, the pall of winter over Eastwood is lifting ... and the healing rain too will fall.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood Avenue
Eastwood Amusement Park
Eastwood Theater
Eastwood, Clint

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood, but won't

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6050
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and the healing rain too will fall

I've been healed enough already. It can stop falling for a while

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-The East would have rain
....Love rein o'er me

Jcole

Post Number: 6051
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But soft, what light in yonder window breaks?
Tis the Eastwood and Juliet is the sun

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riddle:

How far east would Eastwood be if Eastwood would be further east?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on if Lake St. Clair dries up or not, but if it keeps raining like has been lately, a better question might be how far west can the east end of Eastwood be?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer to the riddle has nothing to do with the lake or western direction of the east end but has more to do with the questioner. Anyway, thanks for the qualifiers and the weather report.

Hint: The riddle is more egocentric than existential.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a nice pre-Spring day it was today...just a great day to take the dog out for an extra long walk around the triangle, or spread some Frank's crabgrass preventer on the grass, or flush out one's radiator in the street.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on March 15, 2009)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: You ought to be a role model for the EPA. Let's add burning leaves on the street and an incinerator full of garbage. .....Ah the life in the 50 and 60s on Eastwood...a time when one could pollute with reckless abandon. Oh. let's not forget the wonderful memories of having to stay indoors while the city sprayed for dutch elm disease. Gee it's too bad that DDT was banned wasn't it? :-) :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 2764
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all know the fondness 7 has for incinerators

7andkelly

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, a case could be presented to say the wholesale ban of DDT caused millions of deaths in third world countries because uncontrolled insects destroyed crops causing unspeakable poverty and famine.

As for the crabgrass preventer, do you think Lowes would sell me something unsafe?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To borrow a line from GHWB, KR, "I am an environmentalist", though admittedly not an extremist. Even in the 60s, while I certainly appreciated the fine aroma of freshly burning leaves just as much as the next person, my family mulched and composted all of our grass and leaves and sawdust for that matter.

Nowadays our recycle bin is used to the max each week, and before curbside recycling, we took our stuff down to the recycle center. I'm pretty sure that puts us in the 90+ percentile.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: On this St. Patricks day glad to see you were "green" before going green was fashionable. Hopefully, the radiator fluid is not being dumped into the sewer system. DDT is still a risk vs benefit (curbing malaria) in some regions of the world. There are effective alternatives to DDT however the manufacturing becomes a economic/political concern for many 3rd world countries. ... Of course Lowe's wouldn't sell you any product that was environmentally unsafe. You are applying the crab grass preventer properly aren't you? ....Ah, the smell of fertilizer and insecticide on an early spring day at Frank's....What great memories of Eastwood

There was a family on Eastwood near Redmond (in the 60s-70s) as I recall were very much ahead of the times. While most of the neighbors were burning leaves and/or grass clippings. This family would compost the leaves and clippings instead. Their vegetable and flower garden were the envy of the block. There were tomatoes, carrots, radishes, lettuce, zucchini, beets, rhubarb, onion, cucumber. I understood the lady of the house would can so there was enough good eats to last around the year.
I did feel sorry for the older kid though, after mowing the lawn with a reel mower or raking the leaves, transporting all the clippings and leaves to the back of the garage for composting was his relentless chore. I bet there was an environmental appreciation that arose from that Eastwood neighborhood practice.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in my day...

I remember those. We used to call them "push mowers". Then later I heard someone refer to a power mower as a push mower, I guess because it wasn't a riding mower, or maybe to distinguish it from a self propelled model.

No kid went hungry on Eastwood back in those days that's for sure. In addition to all the good eats you mentioned, within easy walking distance inside the triangle were cherries, plums, peaches, pears, currants, raspberries, chives, green beans, spinach, swiss chard, grapes ... not to mention the free giant sugar cookies a nice kid would get at the bakery at 7 and Kelly.

Add to the bakery, George's Party Time (a.k.a. the Beer Store), and Colonial Bank and you have the all time greatest corner in Detroit: 7 and Kelly.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Actually that was Moross and Kelly. There was a cleaners, paint store, Aldos and the Paper Station (among other names) at 7 and Kelly. Sorry 7, you missed the greatest corner by a block but who notices? :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had a 1967 dime for guessing you would come back with that technicality, KR, I could buy myself a pack of 10 Topps baseball cards with gum, or a Mr. Freeze ... decisions, decisions ...

The reality is it was all good...Aldos, the Paper Station, Standard Gas, Texaco Gas station and car wash, Tastee Freeze / Tastees, Colonial Bank, George's Party Time, the bakery, Pure Gas station, St. Jude Credit Union, ...

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and buy a nice crystal lamp or more realistically a last minute greeting card at the gift store after a great haircut at JB's.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember many a last minute card and gift being purchased up the street at Merit's (Sav-On and Walgreen are the fallback now). They always had my Dad's favorite cigars and pipe tobacco, and that fifth of Red Roses for Grandpa. I got cards for Mom there too, but gifts for her were from Penney's or Hudson's or Frank's Nursery.

I also walked up to Merit's often for a couple half gallon cartons of milk and bread. It's amazing how heavy that load got by the time I arrived back home.

I used to test tubes there, and at Revco. I'm sure my Dad was proud to see me tinkering inside the old Admiral TV and Zenith radio.

Haircuts? It was Gems on Lappin just east of Gratiot across from Monkey Wards for me.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here's where everyone has gone for the day!

Jcole

Post Number: 6109
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They always had my Dad's favorite cigars and pipe tobacco, and that fifth of Red Roses for Grandpa

Geez, how old were you, 7? Last I checked, they carded up there.

Zitro

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He started shaving when he was 8

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Four Roses, wouldn't it?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1403

Looks like a few are playing hooky today. Either playing on Eastwood or purchasing booze for "grandpa" on Kelly Rd. Just remember folks tomorrow is a day off of school anyway.

Zitro

Post Number: 2777
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Red Rose. My favorite commercial was the Red Rose chimps playing in the band.

Jcole

Post Number: 6111
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Red Rose Tea, Red Rose Tea, Red Rose!!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, EB ... was thinking of Mom's tea. Guess I'm not much of a con-a-sewer.

Zitro

Post Number: 2779
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here it is, this is great. Looks like Ed Golick has it posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-918OMwCx6w

Jcole

Post Number: 6112
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe that's why i started drinking tea so young. I was and am a tea junkie. I don't think I've gone without at least one cup/glass of tea a day since I was about 10 years old. Even when I was drinking more, ummm, interesting beverages on a daily basis. Sometimes it had vodka in it, but it was still tea.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will soon be time for your dirty socks, J. The Stanley Cup playoffs are right around the corner.

Zitro

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should be just about fermented if she starts right now

Jcole

Post Number: 6115
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll get 'em ready

7andkelly

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, is the Romeo Dairy Queen open yet? It's a sure sign of Spring ... that, and barrels blocking lanes.

Jcole

Post Number: 6128
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Dairy Queen isn't open yet, but the barrels are blooming.

BTW, rumor has it that they're putting a Sonic/Taco Bell combo in next to the Romeo Kmart, where that new nearly-empty strip mall is.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonic? Too Cool. Love Sonic. That, Romeo Theatre, Dairy Queen, Frontier Town, Romeo Family, Romeo Big Boy, ... , are all top notch.

Zitro

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where forth arth thou?

Jcole

Post Number: 6129
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I art here, on Van Dyke and 32 Mile, in lovely Macomb County.

(Message edited by jcole on March 20, 2009)

Zitro

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How doth people talketh like this?

Jcole

Post Number: 6130
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itth eathy if you have a lithp.

Zitro

Post Number: 2786
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMAO!!!!!

Jcole

Post Number: 6131
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in grade school, when I DID have a lisp (I still do if I get really pissed or upset), I used to tell this joke:
The Remington Typewriter company receive this request for help by mail:
Dear Thirth;
Pleath then a man thoon to repair thith mathine, for I am thad to thay I thmathed the 'th' key.
Thintherely,
Tham Thmith

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Sylvester the cat salutes you.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the Texaco station / car wash, does anyone remember them selling used wheel covers in there? I do. I sure have "lost" enough of them over the years to pay attention to that sort of thing.

Lost a couple of wheel covers at Universal Mall, one at the old Perry Drugs (with auto parts on Schoenherr and 8 Mile), one at a Meijers, and all four at Kmart at 10 and Dequindre. My Mom lost all four of her wheel covers once at Farmer Jack at Kelly and Nine Mile too. Too bad the auto companies didn't design these better so they wouldn't fall off so easily.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: You do realize that the Texaco station was once just a front for an illegal wheel cover operation don't you? :

7andkelly

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't hear that, KR. All the wheel covers I bought from them were legal ones that fell off other people's cars.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Probably my car was one of them.

Zitro

Post Number: 2817
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to close this thread by personally thanking 7 and Kelly for his stalwart effort of ridding Eastwood of all the Perv's and Statists which once permeated it. It's safe to walk the streets again and be able to think freely without their mind numbing endless communist drivel.

Oh, and Go Wings!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.