Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 « Previous Next »
Tiger Talk 2008 Archives7andkelly690 24 06-14-08  12:36 am
Archive through June 17, 2008Ravine30 06-17-08  8:17 pm
Archive through June 19, 2008Smogboy30 06-19-08  10:46 am
Archive through June 22, 2008Ggores30 06-22-08  6:22 pm
Archive through June 25, 2008Ravine30 06-25-08  10:18 pm
Archive through June 28, 2008Flanders_field30 06-28-08  8:37 pm
Archive through June 30, 2008Flanders_field30 06-30-08  11:25 pm
Archive through July 09, 2008Ggores30 07-09-08  11:06 pm
Archive through July 16, 200820043_stotter30 07-16-08  7:17 am
Archive through July 22, 2008Ravine30 07-22-08  4:32 am
Archive through July 26, 2008Blksoul_x30 07-26-08  10:18 pm
Archive through July 31, 2008D_mcc30 07-31-08  12:35 pm
Archive through August 06, 2008Johnlodge30 08-06-08  11:57 am
Archive through August 14, 2008401don30 08-14-08  7:28 am
Archive through August 28, 2008Smogboy30 08-28-08  1:49 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will be many new faces on the tigers next year. The team has to change, in order to even have a small chance of making the playoffs next year. This year was very disappointing to tiger fans. Well, maybe not all of them.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This team has been an absolute bust. Granted, I do think they suffered from several bad breaks that added to their misfortunes.

2006 seemed to be a case of getting the absolute maximum from everyone involved. Everybody was healthy, hungry and played above and beyond any expectations any of us had.

By this season, 08, the Tigers were generally loaded with several over-paid fat cats who were no longer hungry and stumbled right out of the proverbial gate. Granted injuries to Bonderman, and Granderson early on didnlt help.

Of the past 3 seasons (including 08, because it is OVER for the Tigers) I think 2007 was the most accurate picture of who this Detroit Tigers team really is. A good team, damn entertaining, but still lacking in a few key positions and not-quite-ready for the post season.

(I'm over-generalizing here, but this is my take)

It was sad seeing all the empty seats at Comerica last night. People have jumped off the bandwagon, but who can blae them.

(Message edited by border5150 on August 28, 2008)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8651
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stotter, if you're referring to anyone here on DetroitYes with this line of "This year was very disappointing to tiger fans. Well, maybe not all of them." at least have the balls to call them out or are you just going to amuse & dazzle us with another feeble emoticon? Back this stuff up.

Of course true Tiger fans are disappointed in not reaching the promised land. Which fan wouldn't be? We were so close in 2006 and for all intents and purposes, we looked as though we improved in 2008. We were all sold early on as to how this team was making it to the World Series. Sports Illustrated, ESPN and a whole list of other national pundits said we were nearly a lock. Some fans really bit on that hype and it's probably those fans that hurt the most because they bought into the hype a bit more. I know I for one was excited with some of the pre-season trades. There will some tweaks made here and there with this team in the off season to make us competitive- that's a given.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't have said it better myself, Smog.

Look, previously there was a thread regarding Tigers fans being the most lamest - and I agree.

You get what you deserve, and for whatever reasons, The Tiggs are getting their just desserts.

I will only be slightly disappointed if we don't finish the season at .500, but non-withstanding their actual on-field play this year, I will not be bothered by a losing season too much.

We tried buying a Championship team, and it doesn't work for the Old English D.

But don't worry, the Tiggs WILL eventually find their way to a WCS Title. There are people who've waited a lifetime for one.

In short, stick with the program. Go Cubs!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 952
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the bright side, if the Cubs do manage to make it to the WS this year, I wouldn't have wanted the Tigers to potentially be the losing team that would live in infamy as not only the one that helped break the Cubs century long championship drought, BUT also the last team the Cubs beat to win their previous WS in 1908!!

That would have been one of the sports trivia questions for all time, if it had happened.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers are weird. How in the hell do they have three triples, and the game ain't even over yet?

Flanders_field

Post Number: 967
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nate Robertson's BP stint last night: 1.1 IP 6 runs 6 hits 2 BB 1 K and now has a season-high 6.36 era.

And the Tigers have him locked up for two more seasons??

Yikes!!

Tigers lost in a blowout to KC 13-3 with all 3 runs scored by groundouts including one on a DP.

Looks like the are going to give the Royals some competition for the CD cellar title, by the end of the season, and also have an outside chance of losing 90 or more games. (7-20 or worse)

(Message edited by Flanders_field on August 31, 2008)

Ggores

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I'm still waking up, seems I heard Leyland's remarks from yesterday's once-upon-a-time, make or break game versus the Yanks:

"We threw strikes when we should of thrown balls, and we threw balls when we should have thrown strikes. End of conversation."

Say whah?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Yankees were sitting on Verlander's fastball, he was happy to throw it in the zone, and they were happy to swing.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read in the paper today that the Boston Red Sox are responsible for the 3 million dollar buyout for Edgar Renteria if the Tigers choose to decline their 11 million dollar club option on him for 2009. So long, Edgar! He is an incredibly sloppy and overrated player, in the field, at the plate and on the bases.

I'd love to see Ramon Santiago win the starting job next year. He can play a nice roll as a number nine hitter who can do the little things like, say, bunt a runner over in a one-run baseball game, something Brandon Inge failed to do tonight. He'll also make the league minimum, freeing up money for the other holes on the roster.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost wrote the identical post yesterday. Still it seems like a step back to 2003 to have Inge and Santiago in the 8 and 9 holes next yr.
While a team generally can live with a weak hitting catcher with some power, and needs a good hitting 3rd baseman, Inge may be an exception in that he takes away far more runs at 3rd than he will at catcher. I would move Guillen in a heartbeat if I thought the Tigers could find a good catcher who could hit.

Ravine

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers should concentrate on upgrading their pitching and defense.
To that end, I am still in favor of Sheffield taking a hike and being replaced, at DH, by Carlos Guillen.
Inge can go back to 3B, and Ramon Santiago can have the SS job. (Renteria can go wander off somewhere, for all I care.) Santiago has not proven that he can hit, as an everyday player, but he hasn't proven that he can't, either. Besides, what the hell? We see where this "murderers row" theme has taken us.
A remaining issue-- one for which I have no ready suggestion-- is at the Catcher spot. Is there a fourth Flying Molina Brother, maybe?

Smogboy

Post Number: 8690
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you about the Santiago thing there Ravine. I'm all for letting him take the position over. He's proven he's got the glove for it and the range too. With him and Inge on the left side, that's an amazing defense we have there.

As far as catchers go, they're the toughest things to fill out on the rosters- not just for us but everyone else in the league. They physical wear and tear on those guys have to be unreal (that's why I thought Pudge was a freak of nature there); the physical pounding and range of motion has got to wear those guys out on top of being somewhat cerebral in the calling of the games too.

Another Molina brother? Heck, I'd be willing to spring for a Molina sister if she can strap 'em on and fire mean heat down to second base for an occasional put-out.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 716
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Ryan. Missed his HR, but I saw most of the rest of the game.

Backup C in '09?

Smogboy

Post Number: 8740
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be too afraid to make Ryan the full time backstop in '09. What's wrong with getting his feet wet now? He seems to handle the bat well and went 2 for 3 with some authority tonight. I haven't seen him do too much defensively in these few games but why not give him a stab at being the full timer next year? Put Inge back at 3B like Ravine & I have often said before in our respective Monday morning QB chairs.

401don

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Full-time catcher for Ryan might be a stretch but I would certainly like to see the Tigers grab a veteran in the off-season who could platoon with Ryan and step in to the full-time slot if necessary. Failing that, let Ryan play full-time at Toledo. This guy appears to be a late bloomer with potential. Don't make him the back-up! He's really big though. I worry about his footwork and quickness.

Ravine

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This post is not about the Tigers but, while I cannot recall who it was that scornfully hooted their derision towards my much-earlier comment that Batting Average is a statistic that barely means SHIT, I am here to report that one Ryan Howard now leads the majors in Home Runs and Runs Batted In, while carrying a Batting Average of .241, which (I cannot resist pointing this out) is only .003 above the lifetime BA of one Brandon Inge.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of how Ryan plays out (I still assume backup C - get into a lot of games) we'll be better off then we were with Dane hitting VERY far below the Mendoza line.

Next up - Garcia and Willis.

This is almost Tigs '09 seeing how these players finish the season.

401don

Post Number: 768
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the News today, Tigers now have 31 saves in 56 chances. Rodney is 0-6 with 6 blown saves in 16 chances. Seasons like this do not help the manager quit smoking.
On the other hand I'm glad Rodney has tanked enough lately that there should be no doubt about the Tigers need to go out and get a closer this winter.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8814
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the midst of a squandered season, a few bright things to look at now:

-Magglio is definitely in the hunt for another batting title with a .326 average trailing Joe Mauer's .327.

-Miguel Cabrera has most definitely been on a tear as of late and is contending for the AL HR title with 34, one shy of Alex Rodriguez and two shy of Carlos Quentin's 36. He's also within striking distance of the RBI leaders as well (currently 3rd with 121 RBIs- 7 behind the leader).

These stats won't make up for any of the other failures this team has endured this season but it is a nice thing to marvel at despite the amount of losses.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sort of like, whipped cream on horse shit.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 999
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 games under .500, a walkoff loss to the Indians, with an all too familiar BP blowup in the late innings.

@ 71-81 it is now a matter of how many games that the Tigers will finish below .500 and whether they will wind up in the CD cellar, supplanting the recently resurgent Royals by the end of this season.

Edit: oh yeah, the Sheffield-Carmona fight was very entertaining, although Gary got the worst of it, after being mugged by a horde of Indians.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on September 20, 2008)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 720
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Sort of like, whipped cream on horse shit."

Tired of lipstick and barn animals? :-)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night's 6-3 loss to the Tribe guaranteed the 2008 Tigers a losing season.

The Tigers could be the team who plays vs the Rays @ home and perhaps the White Sox away (makeup game) in potentially division title clinching games.

I doubt if they will be successful at playing spoilers vs either team.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The D-Trainwreck today:

2.1 IP 6 ER 5 hits 6 BB 4 K 3 WP

Unless this guy can be converted into an off-the- bench OFer, he will very likely become one of, if not the worst contract signings in franchise history.

401don

Post Number: 770
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Along with Bonderman, Robertson, Sheffield, Renteria . . .

Hard to think anybody could have done a worse job with $139 million than Dombrowski did this past year.

Ravine

Post Number: 2757
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honest to God, Flanders & 401, it is hard to believe how it turned out. We know that DD is a smart GM, and yet there is no denying, or even questioning, the truth of 401's last statement.
And the funny thing is that the statement is true even though we, thus far, have no reason to feel bad about losing Maybin & Miller, which means that the whole thing could wind up looking even worse, down the line.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 721
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys...

Pitching, pitching, pitching...

or in Willis' case:

Location, location, location...

The P meltdown did the Tigs in. And only more pitching, pitching, pitching will solve the problem.

I don't see Cabrera as the problem. How can anyone blame DD for getting him.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 724
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in other words who would have thought that Verlander, Rogers, Rodney, Robertson, etc.

would have career years?

oops, career worst years.

Sure Willis was a gamble but the Tigs won the ALCS with the other guys.

Ravine

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we understand that, Steve, but the point is that the team sprayed money around like crazy and, in a variety of ways, became worse.
The one case where, for me, it ain't hindsight:
As much as I have always liked Nate Robertson, I thought it was absolutely insane to pay him more to stay around longer. I know that guys who can take the ball, almost every turn, and give you a lot of innings are valuable (even when they're not aces,) but not that goddam valuable.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta hand it to Willis, Robertson and Inge, as had they played one more season each before they signed their huge 3 or 4 year contracts, and they would never have received the double-digit multi-million$$$ that their agents successfully negotiated for each of them.

Ravine

Post Number: 2760
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is true, and the only one who retains any value is Inge. At least, he can play 3B, C, and pretty much anywhere else, if necessary.
I still have hopes for Bonderman, but I am no longer optimistic about him.

(Message edited by ravine on September 22, 2008)

Ggores

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am bummed out of our Tiger's, but seen a bad omen with them anyways, back in January. But ya know what? It's ok because I think that HAD the Tiggs done what they were speculated to do, then we'd be hearing bashing about a "bought" team.

I think maybe it was 401Don who said "pitching". Well, whoever it was said that - YES. Pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching....

My worst worry going into late March was the pitching, in particular - the Bullpen.

Now, I briefly glance at the most recent post, and I have gleened that some of you are actually giving my Tyg - Inge - some credit. Thanks.

And this is what I am saying - (pardon my excessive use of hyphen's) run. catch. throw. react. be CONSISTENT.

I feel sorry for Lion's fans who really have nothing to look forward to at the end of the NFL season, except for inflated promises and false optimism.

And as this season fades and becomes another "past" year of Tiger's baseball... I ALWAYS look forward to some sort of genuine hope that they will eventually put together the pieces required to play day-after-day, a ridiculous number of games in seven month's, and attain a sports trophy that is extremely difficult to get. But wait... seems that every World Championship Series team makes it look so easy.

Hm. And thanks ya'll for providing much specific, well-researched, and knowledgeable insights here.

And a final thought. Maybe it's better that the Tiger's are not in a race right now - I'd be completely on razor's edge, and I really don't need the added stress right now. :-)

Ravine

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, I have been giving Inge credit for a long time!

Ggores

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes you are correct ravine. I worded that badly. What I think I meant is that slowly, and particularly since the July demise part of the season, more talk has been spent on what talent the team does possess, instead of waiting for the superheroes to do their thing, which, unfortunately didn't quite happen. Restore The ROar! Oh wait... that's a Lions battle cry.

401don

Post Number: 776
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freddy Garcia starts tonight in the hopes of keeping the Tigs out of the cellar. Imagine the money you could have made in Vegas back in March betting the Tigers to finish last.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8852
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love him or hate him, but Todd Jones reported today he was retiring at the end of this season. While he was never the shut down closer like a Rivera (who is?), I still respected his effort in trying and he never seemed to shy away from answering any of the media's barbed questions after a game. He was literally one of those guys that we mildly cheered when he succeeded and hotly booed when he failed- but then that's part of the responsibilities of being a closer for a MLB team.

Thanks Todd. Best of wishes to ya.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers record with 5 or 6 games remaining in the season minus interleague play is now a miserable 58-80.

They have double digit losses vs every team in the CD, and should they lose to KC tonight and win the if necessary makeup game vs the White Sox, the team would wind up with identical 7-11 season records vs each of them.

401don

Post Number: 781
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders, you're giving me a headache.:-)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nate Robertson (7-11) in perhaps his last start of the season last night:

4.2 IP 8 runs 7 hits 4 BBs 3 Ks 6.35 season ERA.

Way to reward the Tigers for signing you to that very generous double-digit multi-million dollar contract before the start of this season, Nate!!

Tigers get swept by the Royals, losing 10-4, likely clinching the CD cellar, and now the playoff-bound Rays are coming to town needing to win at least two games to claim the AL ED title.

Edit: Check that, with a win vs the Tigers this afternoon @ CoPa, the Rays will achieve at least a tie for the ED title, and with a loss by the Red Sox to the Indians this evening, the Rays would clinch it outright with 3 games remaining.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on September 25, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 8860
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon 401don... Flanders is just delivering the news. No need to cast any blame on him- take it to the source and that's the Tigers' poor play. It's difficult to stomach... VERY difficult to stomach.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not hard to see...They gave up! Rich spoiled athletes are disgusting.

401don

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I seeing this right? Ramon Santiago bats leadoff today and homers his first 2 ABs? Strange season indeed. Galarraga, after tiring the last month or so, has come back with two very strong outings to end his season. He's clearly the real deal and at least one spot we don't have to worry about next season.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8864
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep 401don, your eyes did not deceive you! Santiago was going yard today and with some authority too! Tampa isn't clinching just yet. And Galarraga has possibly been one of the best surprises we've found this season. Let's hope he can carry some of this magic into next season as some of our other arms attempt to find theirs again.

401don

Post Number: 786
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, Leyland has seen the light! He said after last night's game Inge will be at 3rd next season and Guillen in left. Tigers will have to go out and get a catcher. This makes the most sense by far. Guillen can play a reasonable left field and hopefully stay healthy. I would like to see Guillen play about 100+ games in left and let Sheffield play about 40. If his shoulder continues to strengthen it will keep him motivated to play the field once or twice a week and allow Guillen to rest his knees by DHing some. Joyce may stick as the 4th outfielder but I have little faith in him. He's a tall guy with a long slow swing, below avg. speed and avg. defensively. Like most power hitting rookies, he saw fastballs for the first month and hit a few dingers.
I still think Santiago should get a shot at ss and sign a veteran with a decent bat to be the utility infielder.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't wait for our 3rd baseman with a .210 average!

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For as much of a problem as the White Sox have posed over the past several years, wouldn't it be great if the Kitty Kats earned their stripes for one game this year and knocked them out from any playoff contention?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4170
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Problem, you say?

The White Sox have been legitimate playoff contenders and World Series champions. They, along with the Twins and sometimes the Indians, have been the cream of the AL Central.

No, it's more like the Tigers who have been the "problem."

Smogboy

Post Number: 8884
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think when Knocturnal mentioned the Sox as a "problem"- I'm assuming it was in reference to them standing in the way of a Tigers' victory... ANY Tigers' victory. Any opponent could be referred to as a "problem".

Ravine

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, gang, it's finally over. Good grief, what an ordeal.
I haven't had much to say, this season. It isn't that I haven't been paying attention, it's not that I stopped caring, and it isn't merely the fact that they were so bad; it was the dullness, of the entire affair, that doused my passion and caused me to fall (relatively) silent.
I don't have any easy answers or inspirational propositions. There were some good things-- Cabrera turned in his standard seasonal stats, Galarraga was a terrific surprise, and Granderson, who needed to hit better against lefties and cut down on his strikeouts, accomplished both tasks-- but over-all, the whole deal was fucked up.
The real reason for this post is that I want to offer up a hearty Fuck You to Jim Leyland, who spent the entire schedule being a useless bastard and, instead of just packing up his shit and driving his ass back home, left us with an unpleasant, annoying epilogue to a thoroughly depressing year.
How this guy can possibly think he might have been legitimately eligible for an extension is beyond me. He should be breathlessly stunned, and thrilled, by the fact that he wasn't fired. Instead, he chooses to have a fuckin' attitude.
Hey, Jim? Fuck You. You're the guy who, during the early days of the season, when it was apparent that there was something very wrong with this team, stumbled around, scratching yourself and grumbling that you didn't know what to do or say, that the team was plenty talented, but they just weren't winning. You said, early on-- despite the pervasive smell of formaldehyde-- that you didn't believe in chemistry, that the notion of chemistry is over-rated, and when the departed Jason Grilli, who had nothing to gain by lying or exaggerating, alluded to the possibility that maybe the chemistry was, indeed, fucked up, then you really got pissed off, probably because the truth never hurts so much as it does when it's a thing which you have been vigorously denying.
I don't want to forget to mention how goddam stupid you sounded when, after you decided to put Cabrera in the cleanup spot, you made the move sound like it was the obvious thing to do, even though it took you half of the goddam season to do it.
And, Jim, I'm sure that Justin Verlander's dad is real impressed by the chickenshit way you have callously thrown the kid under the bus on, at least, two occasions this year, particularly this last time. The guy was like manna from Heaven in 2006, gave a repeat performance last season, and had a fuckin' lousy time of it in 2008, but at least he "manned up" and claimed some culpability for the firing of Chuck Hernandez, and what do you do, you fucking prick? You hit him with the Damned Right It's Your Fault response, and not just to his face, but to a reporter, for chrissakes, after all the bullshit we've heard from you about how much you hate it when players go shooting off their mouths, about team business, to the media.
Lastly, Jim, in case you were out, having a smoke, the first couple of times I said it:
Fuck You.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leyland will be fired. If not soon, after about 20 to 30 games into next season. He needs to gooooooooooooo.

Ravine

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Stotter, I'm with you. (And, I appreciate the response. Maybe if this "mega-thread" would move upward when there is a new post, it would be a little more lively.)

Hello, Jim? This is Dave. I've been thinking about it, and you're right; it isn't fair to leave you hanging, like that. So, you're fired.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said this on another thread but will say it here also. Leyland is lucky to still have a job. And after his public whining about his failure to get an extension, I would have fired him on the spot.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.