Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives « Previous Next »
Archive through March 06, 2007Goblue71 03-06-07  1:23 pm
Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2Olddetroiter942 29 04-24-08  8:44 am
Archive through May 01, 2008Olddetroiter30 05-01-08  11:13 pm
Archive through May 07, 2008Eastside6130 05-07-08  10:58 pm
Archive through May 10, 2008Eastside6130 05-10-08  11:47 pm
Archive through May 15, 2008Eastside6130 05-15-08  9:37 pm
Archive through May 19, 2008Eastside6130 05-19-08  11:15 pm
Archive through May 25, 2008Olddetroiter30 05-25-08  8:30 am
Archive through May 29, 2008Goblue30 05-29-08  9:27 pm
Archive through June 03, 2008Goblue30 06-03-08  11:31 pm
Archive through June 08, 2008Olddetroiter30 06-08-08  9:16 am
Archive through June 11, 2008Goblue30 06-11-08  11:09 am
Archive through June 13, 2008Goblue30 06-13-08  6:04 pm
Archive through June 17, 2008Goblue30 06-17-08  11:28 pm
Archive through June 23, 2008Goblue30 06-23-08  5:59 pm
Archive through June 27, 2008Goblue30 06-27-08  4:34 pm
Archive through July 01, 2008Olddetroiter30 07-01-08  9:21 pm
Archive through July 10, 2008Goblue30 07-10-08  6:49 pm
Archive through July 14, 2008Eastside6130 07-14-08  1:48 am
Archive through July 25, 2008Goblue30 07-25-08  12:48 pm
Archive through August 06, 2008Goblue30 08-06-08  10:48 pm
Archive through August 17, 2008Goblue30 08-17-08  11:14 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Denby alums, during the Pistons-Warriors game last night, they focused on the trainers for each team, brothers Mike (pistons) and Tom (warriors) Abdenour who according to the announcers attended, (drum roll please) Denby!

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember swimming in the Denby indoor pool in the sixties during non-school hours. I seem to remember that boys and girls were separated by a floor to ceiling wall in the pool. I remember that we had to swim in our "birthday suits" (naked!). Did this really happen, or this just a weird false memory?

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - Glad to hear that you were a Columbus Rocket. I played on their 8th Grade team that had games at Cannon on Saturdays. Played against Cannon, Wayne Elem Rebels, Wilkins Elementary and maybe other teams. My Brother lives in Maryland and I have been in the San Francisco bay area since 1970. I was back to see Mapleridge in 1999....Sad and erie experience....houses seems so big in the "day" and sooooo small now....Great memories about the whole DENBY TARS years....

Jokerman....You are right !!! not a Dream or false memory....

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61-Thanks for confirming my memory. That whole idea just seems so strange to me now.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61....I left Detroit in '69...about the same time you did...it was time to leave...you're right, going back is a sad and strange experience...the city looks like Berlin must have after WW II...but...great memories about growing up on the East Side and going to Denby...living in Prescott, AZ now...had a job offer that would have moved me to the Bay area back in the '90's but they couldn't put enough money on the table...great place to visit though.

Jokerman...Eastside is right...not a dream...gotta wonder about it all because the girls wore suits (or so they said)...plus the weirdness of the coaches checking penises for cleanliness (I guess) before we could go in the pool...they'd all be arrested today!

Eastside61

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - Do you remember Ron Gavron ?- He attended Columbus and he hung around with Dennis Elvidge while at Denby. Mike Miles and Tom Ridas also lived on Mapleridge.

Goblue

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61...can't say that I remember those names although the name Miles sort of rings a bell...there was another guy too....Ron (something) who lived on Mapleridge...he'd lost an eye to a BB shot...he lived on the opposite side of the street from Dennis...and a girl who lived just a house or two from Brock St. on Mapleridge on the same side as Dennis...a real cute Italian girl...wow...that was all a long time ago...many miles and many lives...my life would have required a double-jointed snake to follow me...can remember the faces but the names are deeper in the hard drive...I learned the hard way a long time ago to stay with the memories though...backtracking and dealing with the realities of the present just destroys wonderful memories...translation: those cute girls of 1959 tend to have butts three feet wide in 2007...best to stay with the memories.

Eastside61

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - Maybe this will help the realistic old memories - The Mapleridge FOX was Renee Morris....You are right on about Renee as she lived in the middle of the block between Brock and Salter. The Italian cutie was Roseann Mancuso.....who lived on Elvidge's side of the street closer to Brock.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned the hard way a long time ago to stay with the memories though...backtracking and dealing with the realities of the present just destroys wonderful memories...translation: those cute girls of 1959 tend to have butts three feet wide in 2007...best to stay with the memories.

Oh,snap Goblue! You should NEVER bring the past into the present - it upsets the whole time/space continuum thing :-) Poor guy, that must've been an uncomfortable moment!

Goblue

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: Right...Roseann Mancuso was the cute Italian girl...don't recall a Renee Morris though.

Kathinozarks: Yup, bad idea to try to bring past and present into the same continuum...oh well, live and learn. It seems to be a common thing though that transcends cultures...had a Venezuelan senior military friend who had done the same thing...met a girl in Annapolis while on a cruise to this country as a young officer...looked her up 35 years later when he was posted to the D.C. embassy...he reported that it was a BIG mistake...cost him his memories. On the other hand have a friend who reconnected with a high school girlfriend...they're living together now. Life's a crap shoot!

Goblue

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: There were two sisters who lived (I think)the next street north of Mapleridge...can't remember what it is called...the Hennick sisters...Sharon and Sandy...their mother was my first or second grade teacher at Columbus...Sharon was about my age and Sandy a year or so younger...I dated Sandy a few times...cute and nice girls...I think their dad was a cop....remember them? I think that I saw something somewhere sometime about one of them living in Florida.

Eastside61

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - The Hennick's house I think we all hung out there on Parkgrove and Salter. Mom was my first grade teacher, too. Good old Columbus....where we all sat either in the hallways or in the basement of the school waiting for some type of H-bomb to hit. Spent a lot of time with Sandy. too. Dad was a cop and they did the white flight thing and headed to Florida. I saw Sandy at a Reunion once and she communicated a few times....but it has been a long time since I have heard from her. She was still in touch with Marty Brubaker......Do you remember Marge Smith?...I still hear from her.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby had a great basketball team in 1976 and 1977....we had the first prom at the re-cen in 1977....my senior trip was with the ski club and we joined with Regina's Ski club at Boyne Mt....memories like that sound to good to be true...Great Jazz Band and our cross country team did fairly well...remebering McLeod, Bianco, Kelly, Rhodes, Longenecker, Rossi, Potter, Supanich, Nuber, Hisong, Stoken, Merideth, to name just a few...

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our drama department had a great group of aspiring actors, the Lori sisters were great...I go back into the neighborhood everytime I get up that way and can almost hear the marching band practicing....we used to have parking lot parties, in fact our graduation speech we pretended to project 30 years into future and Sandi Bozemen and I reminded the class to a rousing ovation that we should always remember the parking lot parties and Mr. Demerick supervising us...

Goblue

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: The Hennicks were nice people...I dated Sandy a few times but I think her folks were uneasy with the idea that I was a couple of years older...we had to double with Sharon and a buddy of mine...I don't recall the name Marge Smith...but thinking of people I haven't thought of in decades...guys I played hockey with...Stan Pence, Harry Kruger, Dale Kukla...at Columbus my class was largely intact for the full K-8 years...about 20-25 of us...strange that four died before we were 40...Lynn Laws from breast cancer, Gervin King an automobile accident, Noel Godfrey a suicide...and I heard that Sandy Crane was killed during the riots from a bullet fired within her house...story I heard was that her child found a loaded pistol and was playing with it...don't know for sure if that was true. Just strange so many dead so early. I dated Paula May too...she was in the band and was a class or two behind me...and Sandy Reynolds who was a cheerleader...do those names ring a bell?

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue: Lynn Laws was a friend of my mother. I also knew her as she was a teacher at my high school - Robert S. Tower in Warren. She was Lynn Finkbeiner then. She had a son Eric who I briefly worked with many years ago. My mother is a 1959 graduate of Denby but she is a very private person and doesn't want her name on the Internet. I showed her this thread and she remembers many of the names mentioned.

Goblue

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oopik: Small world!! Robert Tower hired me right out of WMU in Jan. '63 as a 4th grade teacher...he promoted me to principal in '66...Lynn's son(s) attended my school...I have a recollection that she had two sons but I could be mistaken...she used to work as a sub teacher for me when I needed her...we used to laugh about how we had known each other as kids and then worked together as professionals...she was bright as hell and a really nice person...Lynn's best friends at Columbus were Mary Ann McFadden (I had a crush on her in the 5th grade)...and Martha Steinke...which years did you attend Tower High?...did you also attend a Warren Wds. elementary school?...if your mother recognizes several of the names she must have also attended Columbus...does she also recognize the names Anthony Nowak or Sharon Donahue or Judy Hubble or David Grabda or Donald Pollard or James Morche? If you would like to take the conversation more private use ew310@cableone.net By the way...your screen name is very close to an Alaskan term...any connection?

Eastside61

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oopik - Go Blue - Maybe we need a Columbus thread????

Goblue

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: that might be a good idea...not sure how many Columbus grads there are...I would guess the school opened in the early '30's or late '20's...my sister started kindergarten there in 1938...at that time it was K-6...she went to Jackson Jr. High for 7-8...I'm guessing that Oopik's mother went to Columbus...curious about how many others are out there. I'm looking forward to what Oopik has to say.

Ookpik

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue: My mom did not go to Columbus but a school called Macomb. She said that she kept to herself in high school and probably would not be remembered by many. As an aside, her father was a janitor in the Detroit Public School system and worked at many of the schools. Some of the schools he is believed to have worked at are Jackson Junior High, Marxhausen Elementary and Hamilton Elementary. If anyone remembers "Joe the Janitor" - that was him.

As for me, I attended Northwood Elementary (now a church), Holly Junior High (now DeLasalle High School) and finally Robert S. Tower High School. I graduated in 1983 - the last class to graduate from Tower before it was combined with Warren Woods High School. Warren Woods then became the Junior High.

Very good on identifying the term Ookpik! Very few over a 35+ year period have ever come close to knowing what it means. Ookpik is simply the Inuit (Eskimo) term for the Snowy (Artic) Owl.

Eastside61

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - I think it was built in 1929. In my day it had 1100 students and was K -8 and Jackson was shipping students to SE.
It was extended in the mid 50's to its present "U" shape and had two gyms and an auditorium.

Ookpic - Ask you mother if she remembers these Macomb students: Jim and George Haislip, Joanne Bialkowski and dick Easton - Macomb was a little school in the day that was across I 94 from Chandler Park golf course.

Goblue

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik: A buddy of mine, Al Chiaverotti, was principal at Northwood...you probably started kindergarten about 1970...I think Al was still there at that point. I was principal at Maplewood a little farther east...its a church now also...until 1969 when I left for a promotion in the Gull Lake Schools near Kalamazoo. Another friend was a middle school principal in the Woods...Fred Cardinali...not sure which school he was at...Fred and I grew up next door to one another on Fordham...he went to Assumption Grotto and then Notre Dame H.S...and then WMU.

I lived in Anchorage for a couple of years in the late '80's...part of my job was interaction with Native elders...so I learned Native terms...didn't know Ookpik was Inuit for Snowy Owl though...thought it might be a take off on Oosik...Mr. Tower died while I was in Alaska...adult onset lukemia...he was 70.

Does your mom have some other names of people she knew at Denby? By the way...I have '56 and '57 yearbooks that I have no use for if your folks would like to have them...I've packed them all over the country for the past 50+ years...I'd be glad to send them to you.

Eastside61: Columbus was around 1100 kids when I was there too...I was there when they put the addition on...yeah, two gyms...and the auditorium that looked so huge at the time...auditorium teacher named Mrs. Playa (sp?)...don't recall the other teacher...blanking now on the white haired teacher we had for 8th grade homeroom but I have a picture of her together with Lynn Laws. Mr. Hansik was the P.E. teacher...also our hockey coach at Heilmann...ran into him years later when we were both principals in Macomb County...it blew him away when he realized who I was...said he felt old as hell because of me...NOW I understand what he was saying.

Chandler Park golf course...that was our home course...played an awful lot of rounds there after school...that was before they dug the ditch...I remember the Haislip brothers...didn't know them well but at least one was a basketball player...hockey players didn't run around with basketball types...hell, we considered football players to be wusses...except for Ed Budde that is. lolol

Ookpik

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: No need to ask my mother about Jim and George Haislip as I remember their father. He was our Twin Pines milkman when I was a child. The Divco truck, the glass bottles, the milk chute - I remember Mr. Haislip well.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give up. What are "Tars"?

Goblue

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag: If you'll scroll back up the thread to Feb. 11 there was a discussion about the name.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got it. Thanks!~!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents, uncles and aunts all went to Denby.

Uncles on my mom's side were Class of '44.

My parents were both Class of '52.

On my dad's side, my uncle was Class of '58; one aunt was '61 and the other was '70.

I believe that Dr. Wayne Dyer, the famous motivational author and speaker, was Denby Class of '58 too.

Eastside61

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury - '58 Uncle's name and '61 aunts name?????

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uncle is Ken Boland and aunt is Joanne Boland.

Littleoatey
Username: Littleoatey

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al_t_publican:
I'm the class of 68. Does anyone post their real names here? Do you come to the Denby forum through Delphi at all? That group, which I am part of, meets a few times a year in the Macomb County area for dinner. Great fun for all.

Pat

Littleoatey

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andyguard73

Tom is the main reason the Delphi forum people meet for dinner yearly. He comes home and we all gather. The forum has made us all friends, though most of us were strangers when we started out. I can tell you Tom is one of the kindest, nicest, thoughtful person I have ever met. We trade a lot of information about college kids.

Pat

Littleoatey

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue:
Judy Hubble was my neighbor, friends with my sister. Sis would have been the class of 65. I was 68, brother was 63.

Pat

Detroitgig
Username: Detroitgig

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very happy to have found this site. I grew up on Gratiot near Conner by City Airport and went to your rival, Osborn High.
However, my parents owned Duchess A&W on Morang and Duchess from sometime in '65 to late '67.
I was a young kid then, but it was pretty cool
to help make the root beer, etc.
My sister ended up marrying a guy from Denby
and I remember quite a few of the characters who
used to come in the A&W.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.