Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old Car Factories » Old Car Factories - 1 « Previous Next »
Archive through March 11, 2007Aiw80 03-11-07  4:33 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never hear of them, but a quick check shows them listed in 1935 as:

Watson & Rose Manufacturing Co
Glen A Rose, president
Harry L Pitcher, v-president
Ruth D Rose, secretary
trucks
12400 Strathmoor

and in 1940 as:

Watson-Rose Manufacturing Co
(Glen A & Mrs Ruth D Rose)
truck manufacturers
12400 Strathmoor

The address puts it on the west side of the Kelvinator plant. There is a small collection of industrial buildings near the northwest corner of the property which look to be of that era:

Watson-Rose Manufacturing?

Also, I see that Harry Pitcher (the earlier V-P) was a partner in another truck manufacturing firm in 1925, listed as:

Weber & Pitcher
(Samuel Weber and Harry L Pitcher)
truck manufacturers
Fullerton Ave & Penna RR

The intersection of Fullerton and the Pennsy Railroad is near the northeast corner of this factory. Maybe Watson & Rose bought the firm from Weber & Pitcher? Seems like too small of an operation to make use of a building the size of Kelvinator. Maybe just the north end of the Kelvinator complex was originally Watson-Rose?

Mikem

Post Number: 3182
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have a 1918 phone book listing Weber & Pitcher at 57 E Woodbridge. Their relocation to the farmland of Fullerton must have occurred in the early 1920s.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6195
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mike, a check of the sandborn shows the following:

The Sandborn above is the 1951 edition where the Rose Truck and Castor Co. was located.

I'm pretty sure at one time that was their home, then they moved to the buildings to the immediate west, where after a merger, they are still located at 12402 Hubbell at Fullerton.

http://www.conveyercaster.com/manufacturers/darnell-rose-casters.htm

quote:

A division of Evans Industries of Detroit, Michigan, Darnell-Rose was formed by the merger of Darnell Corporation and Rose Caster Company in January, 1998. Since 1921, Darnell casters have stood as the symbol for quality in the caster and wheel industry, whereas Rose Caster has earned a legendary reputation for building superior forged steel casters primarily for the demanding automotive industry for over 65 years.

However the '51 map says they make "factory equipment".

So the question remains did they make actual motorized truck, or... Were these hand trucks? Like pallet jacks? Maybe at one time they made truck and later diversifed to factory supply?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The intersection of Fullerton and the Pennsy Railroad is near the northeast corner of this factory.

Is this correct? Shouldn't it be the Pere Marquette RR instead. The predecessor to the PMRR put in the original trucks leading off the Michigan Line by Hammond Street in West Detroit leading to Oak (Fullerton) and further on to Plymouth.

Mikem

Post Number: 3183
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the north-south line along the east side of the Kelvinator plant - the one which crosses Fullerton - was Pennsylvania RR.

AIW, I found them listed under "truck manufacturers" along with Federal, Graham Brothers, etc.

Aiw

Post Number: 6196
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mike, I wonder how/when/why they switched to castors?

Kfcoupe
Username: Kfcoupe

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The map was prepared by Kaiser-Frazer to give visiting dealers "the lay of the land" in advance of their factory conclaves. This particular map came out of the packet for the spring 1948 Chicago area Dealers Drive-Away.

Chrysler_transport
Username: Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone, I have been reading this forum for some time and have decided to pipe in. I am researching the history of DaimlerChrysler Transport. The plant information has helped me but i am looking for information and photo's of the parts/body hauling operations of Chrysler, Briggs, Murray, Maxwell and Dodge. I was hoping someone may have photo's of plants that perhaps show our fleet trucks. Anyone?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler-transport--Welcome to the forum!
send me an emil off-list
56packman (at)twmi(dot)rr(dot)com
I may have some information for you.

Aiw

Post Number: 6207
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You interested in the Windsor side too? I can go down and shoot you a photo of the Windsor terminal.

56packman

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Briggs bodies to Chrsler

Here's a load of bodies from Briggs (probably the Meldrum st. plant) arriving at Chrysler Jefferson

from the WSU virtual Motor City collection

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 698
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A frame capture from film that was shot in 1968 showing one of the ubiquitous Chrysler medium duty trucks that could be seen on the roads in the vicinity of the Chrysler Mopar facility in Center Line:

truck on Van Dyke

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you AIW, I have been trying to get some Windsor terminal and Toledo terminal photo's with no luck! Greatly appreciated.

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg ! what movie is that from? or is it a "home movie"? Any chance of a larger shot?

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman, Thats one of the few shots i already have, and its perfect for my History-of-Transport display at the Terminal.Can you tell me how to reduce a JPEG for posting on this forum?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 707
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler_transport,

Sorry, that is cropped from an old home movie and that is as good as I could make it. I debated about whether I should even post it because it was so poor. However, I remember seeing those trucks all the time since I lived in Center Line from 1952 until I got married in 1974.

For resizing JPG images in preparation for posting here, I use the free software program called IRFANVIEW, which can be downloaded from here:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Open the image in IRFANVIEW, click on the "Image" menu item, then select "Resize/Resample...". Within the dialogue box, set the larger of the width or height to 550 pixels or less and then click "OK". Next, go to "File" and "Save As..." and make sure the "Show Options Dialogue" box is checked. Then set the "Save Quality" slider bar to around 70% and then proceed to save the resized image wherever you want it to go on your hard drive. If the file size of the resized image is 50 Kb or larger, you will need to repeat the "Save As..." using a lower "Save Quality" setting.

For posting here, an image must not exceed 550 pixels in length and width and the file size must be less than 50 Kb.

(Message edited by Mikeg on March 18, 2007)

Kfcoupe
Username: Kfcoupe

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a really unusual shot. Like Buick, Packard, and other makers, Kaiser-Frazer exported (shipped outside the USA) finished cars from the plants in and around Detroit. The cars were built, checked out and partly dis-assembled so they could be crated up and shipped. Here a group of 1948's are being packed to go by rail to Newark or New York City and from there by boat to Belgium and France.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 808
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the old Toledo Jeep Plant in the Fall of '95 as a quality control consultant. They had a regular truck operation at that time for transporting welded bodies in white of the CJ and YJ (Dakota)north to be final assembled at the Stickney Ave Plant. The old Willys plant had a body shop that built three models, only the TJ, Cherokee, was final assembled there. I thought it was pretty amazing that this method was still being used in 1995.

(Message edited by cambrian on March 19, 2007)

56packman

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a Packard Clipper being crated for overseas shipment. Gee, it's hard to imagine that at one time the US made the best cars in the world and were exported in large numbers.

Packard clipper

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian; Indeed Body in White operations are still being done to some extent, (in Detroit/Auburn Hills at least) but they are primarily for pilot operations and engineering. We do the hauling here at Transport.

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an example of a picture i have found but have no original photo of. The quality is poor and not good enough to blow up for display. Anyone know which "Mack Ave Plant" this is?

Briggs or Chrysler body hauler

56packman

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was Briggs manufacturing's Mack ave. plant located at 11631 Mack ave. 2,238,904 sq. ft. plant. The famed LeBaron custom body division of Briggs was located on the 4th and 5th floors of the Mack ave. plant.
Briggs was a separate company devoted to building automobile bodies for Chrysler, all of Plymouth, DeSoto, Ford, Willys, Hudson, Packard and others. Chrysler purchased Briggs on December 29, 1953, and by doing so became the last of the big three to have all major component manufacturing all in-house. Walter O. Briggs owned the Detroit Tigers, and What we have called Tiger stadium was once known as Briggs stadium (originally Navin field).

Mikem

Post Number: 3204
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was LeBaron in the Mack Avenue plant or the Meldrum Avenue plant? The answer is somewhere in the archives...

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good, do you know what corner that address might be at?

Our heritage includes the Briggs Drivers and i assume the Maxwell Drivers too, though i haven't found any information on them yet.

Mikem

Post Number: 3205
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was at the northeast corner of Mack and St Jean.

56packman

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good catch Mike--the styling/design studios of LeBaron were at Mack, LeBaron production was at Meldrum

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if this is part of Dodge Main? or what the sign on the roof says?

Dodge Main?

Mikem

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is. I don't know what the sign said; probably "Dodge Brothers".

Mikem

Post Number: 3207
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard to see, but I'm sure it says "Dodge Brothers", just like the smokestack did:

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I know I'm late but this is fascinating stuff.

Mschilde
Username: Mschilde

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there info on the factory or shop of Ackerman-
Blaesser-Fezzey Inc. Holden Ave., Detroit?

Hexwidget
Username: Hexwidget

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if this should post as a new thread or as a continuation of “Discuss Detroit Old Car Factories”, so I will post in both places. My great grandfather Frederick Mallo, was a journeyman toolmaker in the early 1900's. In the 1910 US Census I find him living in Three Rivers, MI (his birthplace), and working there as a toolmaker. His 1918 draft card states he was living at 65 Clark St in Detroit and working as an inspector at Chevrolet Motor Co. (see attached). The address looks like corner of Laf and Beaubien. Beaubien is listed as an original street name on this link:
http://www.geocities.com/histmich/streetname.html
Sometime between 1910 and 1918 my great grandfather went to work for Chevrolet Motor Co. I know from my brief research that Chevrolet began production around 1913. I also know that he must have been very good at his trade to be hired in at a new plant. I spent 12 years in machine tooling at N.A.Woodworth when I was living in Michigan. Does anybody have a map which shows the location of this plant which must have been one of the original Chevrolet buildings? I'm also interested if 65 clark St is near The Chevrolet plant. In the 1920 US Census he is living at the same address. Later he was committed to Eloise Sanatarium. According to family story, his ship was torpedoed and he suffered shell shock. Anyone interested in documents of my research can go to:
http://bidmewalk.com/Records.html
There's a downloadable zip file.

Draft Card

(Message edited by hexwidget on January 24, 2009)

Scrippsbooth
Username: Scrippsbooth

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boydell Building at Beaubien and Lafayette
I wonder if the Laf is an abbreviation of the east – west street Lafayette Street which crosses the north – south Beaubien St. on Detroit near east side? This where the late 19th Century legendary Boydell Building is located and was the address of many pioneer Detroit machine shops and part manufacturers like the Dodge Bros. in about 1900-03 and Buick Auto-Vim company in 1900-02.
Now I have been interest in Chevrolet history for over 40 years and never heard of a CHEVROLET plant in Detroit in this 1916-18 period. But I have found a Mason Motor Company had a small grinding plant some where in Detroit and this Mason Motor Company, Detroit plant became part of the Chevrolet company on January 1, 1918.

Back in 1916 the Flint base Mason Motor Co. was having some of its mail misdirected to another Mason Motor Co. in Detroit. This other Mason company was the parts business of the Mason and Maytag company that closed down in Waterloo, Iowa by 1915, whose parts business was taken over by Standard Motor Parts Co. in Detroit. Both Mason companies letterheads gave no street address, however the ex-Waterloo company had a picture of a large building that appears to be the Boydell Building. I can understand how confusing it would be if both Mason companies was located in the same building. So it appears that the Chevrolet Motor Company did have a Detroit plant in the 1918 period.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.