Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Megabus Experiences « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I apologize in advance if this topic has been posted before (no search turned up any information), but I was wondering whether any forumers here have traveled using Megabus (Detroit to Chicago route, in particular)? I intend to try it out for a weekend trip in May and was curious what others' experiences have been. Also, any parking recommendations? Thanks.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I'd mention driving to Ann Arbor and parking, then taking Megabus from there is an alternative. University lots are all free, no permits necessary on weekends, Friday after 6:00 pm - Monday 6:00 am. Or just park on any residential streets and leave it there as long as you like.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally thought it sucked. Spend the extra money and take Amtrak.

Ombili
Username: Ombili

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used the service once, in September 2007. Overall, I wasn't really impressed. The bus arrived late and we arrived two hours behind schedule. The bus appeared to be cleaner than a greyhound and the passengers seemed to be mostly students and professionals. I really don't think I would use them again. Prior to the trip, I had arranged to return via train and had a very pleasant experience.

Wolverine

Post Number: 607
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a shame. I've only done trips between Philly and NYC on Megabus that were excellent and right on time. But as far as Amtrak, I've heard a few stories about 11 hour trips from AA to Chicago, although my experience has always been pretty good. Amtrak can be expensive though and you'd be better off driving if you are trying to cut costs unless you do take Megabus.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have taken it twice. Both times it was late to pick up at the Cass stop (Warren/Cass) there is a wayne state parking garage right there.

From a trip standpoint no issues once on the bus. The new double deckers get cold up on the second floor in the rear.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. it was late to pick us up
2. the ride was long, cramped and boring.
3. they played "Air Force One" twice on the way out. that should be enough to encourage one to WALK to chicago from Detroit.
4. Just do amtrak. Way more fun. at least there's a bar car.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

2. the ride was long, cramped and boring.

Were you expecting a lap dance or something?

Wolverine

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ LOL

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I haven't taken it in a year or so, when the service first started, I had great experiences. Bus was on time, clean, I never had to share a row and the whole thing was almost to the point of being enjoyable.

Since then though, within the last few years, I have had multiple extremely unenjoyable rides. Once the air conditioning was broken during the middle of summer, once the bus was late by an hour and the driver had no explanation except that "[she was] late," once the driver took an hour to navigate through the chicago marathon and then was told to turn around because someone showed up late but inexplicably convinced management that the bus needed to turn around and pick her up, once, after the AA stop was added, the driver attempted to roll through the drop off parking lot in a blizzard and got the bus stuck in the snow for at least 45 minutes at which point I was forced to get off and have someone pick me up in AA, and finally, and this was my favorite experience, once the driver didn't know how to get from Detroit to Chicago but didnt tell anyone until we were lost somewhere on the west side and a passenger had to direct her to the highway.

On other other hand, oddly enough, mixed in with those bad experiences, I've had multiple experiences which were completely pleasant and got to Chicago from Detroit or vice versa in 5-5.5 hrs with no problems.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Urban_ninja
Username: Urban_ninja

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken it a few times and had both good and bad experiences. The main positive is that it can be very cheap and the good times were not very memorable. On the down side, my bad experience involved the bus driver being pulled over on the way back to Detroit and getting arrested for drunk driving (no joke but he's no longer a driver). Needless to say that put us back a few hours while we waited for the replacement.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 997
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Were you expecting a lap dance or something?

I wanna take that bus!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny stories. How often does the bus MegaBus run between Detroit and Chicago? I'm guessing that it is not similar to the NE corridor where you can pretty much walk up and get on a bus without relying on a schedule?

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode the megabus over to chicago last summer, I bought a ticket for a few bucks, brought a good book, and had an entire 4 seat area to myself. Not as enjoyable as reading the Times on the amtrak drink cart, but still fairly pleasant. Now that I think of it though, the bus was about 30 min late picking up and an hour late arriving.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken the Megabus to Chicago and back a few times. I found the bus to be clean and pleasant. No issues with being late, although I imagine that does happen. The last time I took Amtrak (and I really enjoy traveling by train), I was about three hours late getting back into Detroit.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzy, why is that?
I've traveled the Megabus a few times and found it by far to be the better that Amtrack and Greyhound. The buses are comfortable, more space, cleaner and the people who ride the buses respect the buses property. They make one rest stop on the way. Pretty cool in my experience and the prices are by far cheaper, I've never paid over $25 for a one way ticket, at times you can find one for $5.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took it, and I had an enjoyable ride. I thought the 45 minute stop in the middle was a little much, but it was quicker than Amtrak...and cheaper...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never had a horrible experience on Amtrak. I did once have a late arrival after sitting in a switchyard on the S Side, but that was it.

Megabus should be seen as a quicker experience to Greyhound because there are much fewer stops. It does however still have to navigate city streets, road construction, and can only go at the speed that the other traffic does (meaning in rain or snow, or during construction season it can't be expected to be on time). Next to Greyhound it is lightning quick, but it does not provide the same level of servce (meaning it pretty much ignores all smaller communities that rely on the Greyhound to get them to the big cities). Both have their advantages.

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Chicago and I was home to help my parents clean my grandma's condo. I had a Megabus ticket back to Chicago. We were all standing around the bus stop near Woodward when a guy walked from around the corner and told us that the bus would be two hours late. I needed to be in Chicago so I announced that I could get a car and that I'd have room for four other people. Four people raised their hands. I went to Grandma's, got her Lincoln and I drove the five of us to Chicago. They all chipped in for gas and we had an interesting story to tell. One of the girls in the car said she was a dominatrix.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9071
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Learned that when she was forcing everyone else into the back seat?!

Lucky you didn't have two of them.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philipjr,

Sounds like a great travel experience. I've done CL ridesharing from Chicago once or twice when I needed to pick up a car, and enoyed it in the same way, even if I had no dominatrices present.

No personal experience with Megabus. Limited with Amtrak (no bike trasnport means it doesn't work for me) but the only really bad trip was the time I was on the party car (party started a couple of rows behind me) with nowhere to escape to for several hours, and we were delayed for 2 hours to boot. Ugh.

O.

Exwarrendaler
Username: Exwarrendaler

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently did it one way to Chicago, for the price I found it to be just fine. Got on in Ann Arbor. The driver we had made great time.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last spring I took the Megabus to Chicago. Fine ride once the bus showed up. I got on at the Ann Arbor stop by Briarwood. I couldn't leave my car (that's not an overnight parking lot).

The bus on the way was about 15 minutes late. Wasn't prepared to have to put my own bag in the bus. Once I got on, it was smooth sailing. Everyone was nice, cordial, and quiet.

The way back (got picked up from Union Station), same thing, only the bus was at least an hour late (and it didn't help that I wasn't feeling well). The driver was very apologetic and once we got on the road, smooth sailing.

I'd recommend it based on the one experience I had, esp. for the price.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby, as a bigger guy at 6'4" it was hard for me to get comfortable on the bus. It didn't help that on the way there and back that there wasn't a single open seat that I could sit in to extend my legs off to the side. A friend and myself also came with our own refreshments, the bathrooms were cramp and hard to get to. Amtrak allows you to at least get up and walk somewhere, they have plenty of legroom, nice bathrooms, and it is easier to start a conversation with others. The power outlets at each seat are nice for when you run out of battery juice for your laptop.

The bus was also 2.5 hours late arriving in Chicago.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 501
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use it over Amtrak, I take Amtrak when I feel nostalgic. I would not waste the extra money for Amtrak, just take the Megabus. Plus there's no stops every 20-30 minutes like Amtrak. It's a straight shot to Chicago. Sure you might get into traffic in Chicago, but its better than waiting over an hour for the a cargo train to pass! The last time I took Amtrak, we could not leave because the toilets were frozen and then after that the train stoped just outside the statiom for an hour because a wheel was damaged or something. Lesson is to never take Amtrak during the winter. I have had no problems with Megabus, it's cheaper and cleaner.

Knocturnal

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the feedback, everyone. I, too, have taken Amtrak to Chicago before. I got quite a good deal, but the frequent stops and a similar long wait experience just after departing Union Station made for a rather long trip back. I figured that I would like to try Megabus once, seeing that I just booked a roundtrip ticket for $9.50!!!! $8 for Detroit to Chicago, and $1 to return. Tack on $0.50 in reservation fees. Even if I changed plans, I wouldn't be walking away from a whole lot.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find because when I go to Chicago I tend to do it on short notice, I have always gotten cheaper tickets on Amtrack with my AAA discount than on Megabus. Also I enjoy the train ride its a more interesting way to go, you see things you normally don't have access to see, being on the rails, and the time difference is minimal. (friends taking bus and train wind up in Chicago about the same time, with how the schedules work out.)

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never traveled on Megabus between Chicago and Detroit, but I've seen them trekking along I-94 plenty of times, and I hope to never find myself on one. Watching those wind sock double-decker coaches swaying around in the lanes, mere inches from Semis, EVERYONE going over the speed limit, no thank you. I've traveled on Amtrak two-level Superliners before and have never seem then rock back and forth like that (Actually, Amtrak trains 350 and 355 between Chicago and Detroit have Superliners right now). Give me a big comfy seat, a train where I can walk around, and a bar car. I'll be happy as a clam!

All aboard Amtrak.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw one today on my way back from Chicago... I was going 75 and he was going about 80. They beat me to Detroit LOL.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw today on the window, they have wifi- anyone used it? Do they have power outlets? I've googled but I didn't see any mention of it.

Knocturnal

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha...now, that's my type of driving. Shouldn't have any late arrivals if that's the case.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4486
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I saw one today on my way back from Chicago... I was going 75 and he was going about 80. They beat me to Detroit LOL.

Sounds like Megabus could learn a thing or two from the Chinatown bus drivers on the East Coast. DC to Philly is normally a 2-1/2 hour drive. The Chinatown bus makes it in just under 2, including a stop in Baltimore. I don't even want to know what the speedometer reading is.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion,

One of my friends was pleasantly surprised by and happy to use the Wifi (with success) when she took the Meagabus to Chicago in December. I think she said they have power outlets too, but I don't remember for sure.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 886
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll throw it right out there... I'm not a big bus fan. Same traffic you hit in your car, you put up with other folks, etc.

I do enjoy riding the trains, but only in the event its actually comparable in travel time to other methods. Unfortunately, in the US, Amtrak is just not really that great. If you want a different or fun ride, new scenery, fine. Its great for that. But I find the cars old, not super comfy, and I've heard too many delays from too many folks (though in my 2 times on the train I had no problems). If we had something like Japan or France, I'd be all over that. But we don't, so I'm not.

With that said, if you've got a car, just drive. Seriously. I've got family in Grosse Pointe Park and I live just north of the loop in Chicago. I've made it door to door in 4 hours and 10 minutes. Usually it is about 4.5 hours door to door.

I figure I burn about 2 tanks of gas, so maybe $60. Suppose mileage/wear and tear is additional on top of the cost of that. But still, I'd pay the additional $50 or whatever the cost difference is and just take my own car. I drive at my own pace. I stop if/when I need to. I listen to my music. I don't need do drive to a station or get a pickup/drop off. I don't have to worry about delays. I can leave Chicago when I want and leave Detroit when I want. And if you take even one additional passenger, split the costs, it becomes an even bigger no-brainer in my opinion.

Anyway, doesn't really help the megabus question as I've never taken it. But Amtrak or car? Amtrak was kinda interesting twice. I now take the car EVERY time. Of course if money is tighter or you don't have access to a car, that's not an option. But my opinion, if you can drive your own car, do it.

Knocturnal

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81 - I believe my main interest is to try an alternative form of transportation, even though it wouldn't actually be as accomodating as taking one's own automobile. I have tried Amtrak, and despite the stress-free ride, I do agree with your points that you have mentioned. I suppose it was nice to have a restroom on board and the ability to consume an adult beverage or two along the way, but the cost and time of travel wasn't something that would convince me to opt for it again.

One issue with driving a car, especially if making the trip alone, is that the parking rates in downtown Chicago are so exhorbitantly high...all this despite the fact that I will never use the car when I am there because all destinations will be reached on foot/taxi/rail.

Unfortunately, the trip that I was looking into just happens to be the same weekend as a large convention being held at McCormick Place. So all downtown hotels are charging rates that are far higher than normal as well. So I will likely just stay with my friends in the outlying area on Friday night and then stay downtown on Saturday. My car might just be the best option.

(Message edited by knocturnal on March 04, 2009)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 888
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a good point, I didn't actually think of that much. For me, I'm always going to Michigan where parking is easy and free. If I were coming to Chicago, staying in a hotel that charges me $30/night for parking, doing the tourist stuff on foot or public transit, I'd probably go megabus or Amtrak for sure.

Definitely a good point there.

Wolverine

Post Number: 611
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never get why people park in those ramps downtown and then complain about parking costs. There are options. Free parking and open spaces do exist not far from John Hancock, Water Tower Place, etc. And if you are there long term, CTA park and rides are cheap, or just leave on a Sunday. and don't pay at all.

(Message edited by wolverine on March 04, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.