Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Some questions about Detroit area markets/grocery stores « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wakeupdetroit
Username: Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shop in Detroit,Hamtramck,Ferndale,Roy al Oak,Roseville,and other surrounding cities alot. I hardly ever carry cash. I use debit/credit cards for all my purchases. When I use debit/credit in Detroit at a party store or barber supply store I'm always told there's a limit(usually $10). When I go outside Detroit I don't run into that. Hamtramck has started at some of the beauty/barber stores but for the most part there's never a mention of a minimum purchase when using debit or credit in Hamtramck. I can buy an item for as little as a dollar with no mention of a limit when using plastic. I never am told there's a limit when shopping in Roseville,Royal Oak,Ferndale,etc when I use debit/credit.Anyone know why that's the policy in Detroit? I don't think it's economy related as this has been going on long before the economy took a serious nose dive.
Also what's the law regarding items being marked/tagged with one price but ringing up different at the register?I was shopping in the medical center this evening and one of my items was marked one price but rang up 60 cents higher when it was scanned. I told the cashier. She told me to take it up with the manager. I took my items to the manager's glass 'cage' with the item that rang up at the difference price. Long story short the manager was very rude and refused to sell the item at the price that was on the tag. He got so rude and insulting that I demanded a full refund on all of my items. This young man felt it was more important to lose a $50 sale rather than to sell me an item that was marked by a store employee for 6o cents less than the scan price.
Anyone know what the law/policy is on items in stores if they are marked as one price but scan at a different price?
Thanks

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Item Pricing Bill of Rights

Our State law requires that most items on store shelves be clearly marked with a price tag. If an automatic checkout system (scanner) charges you more than the marked price of an item, and:

1) the transaction has been completed, and

2) you have a receipt indicating the item purchased and the price charged for it.

Then:

You must notify the seller that you were overcharged, within 30 days of the transaction, either in person or in writing. Within two days of receiving your notice, the seller may choose to refund you the difference between the amount charged and the price marked plus a "bonus" of ten times the difference, with a minimum of $1.00 and a maximum of $5.00. If the seller refuses to give you both the refund and the bonus, you may bring a lawsuit to recover your actual damages or $250.00, whichever is greater, plus reasonable attorney fees up to $300.00.

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1 607,7-164-34739_17343_18163-13 4114--,00.html

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is marked the wrong price, the retail store must refund the difference by 10 times, up to $5.00

Therefore, you should've received $5 for their error. Any problems are reported to Attorney General.

Governor Granholm enacted this law while she was Attorney General

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Spiritofdetroit and Uburbanfisherman. I thought I remembered reading about this when Jennifer Granholm was Atty.Gen
Maybe I should have kept the item and reported the manager and store to the AG. Now it seems moot since I no longer have the recipt.
Thanks for the information.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the statute link above, you are entitled to request to pay the lower price on the tagged item if the scanner tries to charge a higher price, plus 10 times the difference not to exceed $5. If the seller refuses, you can sue for up to $250, and up to $300 if attorney fees are included.

If memory serves, Frank Kelley was the Attorney General when this law was enacted.

FWIW, I've had problems at Walgreen's with the scanner not charging the "sale" price of a promoted item from their weekly circular. I complained to the AG Cox and was told those "sale" items are not covered under the statute. Just be sure you're not being overcharged for a "sale" item when you shop there.

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Danny for the response. This was not a sale item. It was one of many items on the shelf but was the only one that had a sales sticker on it. When I brought it to the managers attention his response was"It's the only one on the shelf with a price on it and that price is wrong!!"
I'll be sure to stay out of that market from here on out. Just wish there was some sort of recourse since this is not the first time this has happened to me at this store.
Thanks again.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 582
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the origination of the law and it was first enacted in 1976, during Frank Kelley's term as AG.

Wakeupdetroit, you now have access to the law and can print it out. Carry it along with you the next time you go to the store. Show it to the store manager, as it sounds like he is not aware of the law. At least give him at shot at complying to it. You're more than welcome.

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny I'll do just that. In fact I think I'm going to keep a copy of the law with me at all times so I can share it with other store managers(and I'm sure they'll be more)if I have trouble like this again.
Good weekend to you!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 992
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding your first question:
"Can merchants set a minimum purchase or charge a fee for using my Visa card?
Visa has certain regulations that all merchants that accept Visa cards must follow. One of those rules is that Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items.
If you run into a problem like this with a merchant, please notify your Visa card-issuing bank. Visa member banks have access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations as well as to the Notification of Customer Complaint forms which should be used by the bank to document and file merchant complaints."
http://corporate.visa.com/ut/f aq.jsp
"5.9.3 Minimum/Maximum Transaction Amount Prohibited
A Merchant must not require, or indicate that it requires, a minimum or
maximum Transaction amount to accept a valid and properly presented Card."
http://www.mastercard.com/us/m erchant/pdf/MasterCard_Rules_5 _08.pdf

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.