Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » World's least expensive car introduced « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to worry. It can't be sold in the US. The Tato Nano will sell for $2,500. Let's just say that it a better buy than a gold cart. I wonder what Tata or GM could sell a minimal car for that met US safety standards. I know of some empty factories. With the economy what it is, not everyone can afford bells and whistles.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1036580

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a "Cozy Coupe" that little kids push themselves around in.

Problem is, by the time any stripped car gets to market, some government "expert" mandates all sorts of equipment that makes it impossible to sell. Then to justify the cost, other crap gets added in to make it "worthwhile". Then a tax break is given to build factory and a stuffed suit takes credit for the entire project.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a "Cozy Coupe" that little kids push themselves around in.

Problem is, by the time any stripped car gets to market, some government "expert" mandates all sorts of equipment that makes it impossible to sell. Then to justify the cost, other crap gets added in to make it "worthwhile". Then a tax break is given to build a factory and a stuffed suit takes credit for the entire project.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9502
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at those tires. There are potholes around here that would bottom that thing out.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3737
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see why it couldn't be sold in the US. The government could just restrict their use to main roads and not allow them the operate on freeways, same way they do with Mopeds. I can't imagine how these things would be any MORE dangerous than a moped.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6723
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

33 horsepower?

OMG- I think some of my neighbors have more powerful lawn mowers than this.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 844
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't seniors driving to market in golf carts in some parts of the country? That thing looks like a step up, so just call it a super golf cart.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes!
The art of Clown-stuffing a car has returned! A suitable car is again being made

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy one if I lived in India. This IS NOT any more dangerous than a motorcycle. People are so over concerned about safety in the USA, it makes me sick. No, I wouldn't take the Tato on the freeway either, just like I wouldn't on my scooter.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would make a great little around the town car to do local errand chasing. But once again, as said the mothers against everything would have a fit. Same reason why my kid has to have a helmet to ride a bike. If I showed up on my bike in what is required/recommended now I'd need the helmet to protect myself from the butt whipping the other kids would give me. But then I chewed the lead paint my crib was painted with so maybe it's affecting my brain LOL

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

People are so over concerned about safety in the USA, it makes me sick.

In 2006 (latest stats I can find), 42,642 people died in motor vehicle accidents. That makes me sick.

Due to the "over concern" of safety, the number of fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles of travel has declined from 2.1 to 1.4 from 1990 to 2006. What's your point again?

(Source: http://www.census.gov/compendi a/statab/tables/09s1065.pdf)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was unaware that Ford sold Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata...

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tata Nano is not a safe car by US standards, but it's a lot safer than this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/o ansari/2423471129/

Which is very typical, on scooters as well as on motos as pictures. It's built for its market.

O.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so redesign the thing to give it seatbelts, airbags, and more protection in the doors/structure to allow it to pass safety standards; ramp up the engine to about 80 hp to allow freeway driving (and it would still probably get 50 mpg), and sell it for about $7000. Voila, modern Model T. Basic transportation. Just what America needs right now.

Why hasn't GM thought of something like that?

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why hasn't GM thought of something like that?"

It's not a truck? ;)

Well, in actual defense of GM, it isn't built in the USA so they do have that part down pat.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9531
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 421

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:59 am:

quote:

People are so over concerned about safety in the USA, it makes me sick.

In 2006 (latest stats I can find), 42,642 people died in motor vehicle accidents. That makes me sick.

Due to the "over concern" of safety, the number of fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles of travel has declined from 2.1 to 1.4 from 1990 to 2006. What's your point again?

As someone who has lost two important people to auto accidents, I applaud this post.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over Concern? Maybe it is just the drivers but if anything there is not enough concern.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9532
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To clarify, Wazooty was refuting another poster's comment about "over concern". The quote feature here isn't so great when double quoting.

Otter

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury,

It's not that easy. It is, often, hard enough (that is, expensive enough) to redesign a car designed for the EU market to achieve US compliance that it is usually not worth it, and is done when the car is redesigned in the next product cycle. I don't think the Nano even meets EU standards. I am pretty certain the degree of changes needed would be such that there is really no point financially, and you're better off starting from scratch.

But the larger point is that there isn't a market for this kind of car in the US. Sure, there's a little bit of one (there's someone out there who wants practically everything) but not enough to spend all the money needed to bring a car to market here. Canada is a better market for simple, inexpensive transpo than the US is (they got Ladas a while back, for instance), and I don't think the Nano would fly there either.

O.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be interesting to know how much the various federal regulations add to the cost of a car, and then it would be interesting to know how many more cars we'd sell if they cost that much less, and how many more people would be working if we made that many more cars.

You can't make cars safe. Cars are unsafe because they are driven by people, who are unsafe drivers mostly. I lost an uncle in a house fire, which was directly his fault. We could make houses fireproof; it would add tens of thousands of dollars to the cost of every house. Should we? I think not.

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an article about the Tata Nano in the January issue of the British magazine CAR.The article expLains the reason why Ratan Tata came up with the idea for the car.Seems that the traffic death rate in India is high because families pile on motor scooters and cycles(their only mode of transport) and tend to fall off of them at an alarming rate.So Mr.Tata decided to try to cut the death rate by building an affordable car.It has nothing to do with trying to just build the cheapest car possible.

Otter

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops! When I was talking about the nano and EU certification, I didn't exactly get that one right:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/0 3/04/geneva-2009-bodacious-tat as-indian-automaker-debuts-nan o-euro/

O.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 766
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is cheaper to buy every bus rider a new car then to pay for SMART and DDOT.

If we pay all the transit workers to stay home and buy all the riders new cars, then many people will have jobs and the taxpayers will have more money.

And then private free enterprise will then come back and then even more jobs will come back to Michigan.

So, why not vote NO to defeat the SMART property tax next August 2010?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Between 1975 and 1998, traffic fatality rates fell by 63 percent in Canada, 58 percent in Sweden and 27 percent in the United States, while rising 80 percent in India and more than doubling in China.

By 2020, deaths are expected to fall an additional 30 percent in the industrialized world, while rising 80 percent elsewhere. According to one model, India's traffic death rate is not expected to decline until 2042 unless major changes are made.

Source

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, come on now, Lowell. The use of automobiles is skyrocketing in India and China, while flat in the US and Canada.

If you make cars safer (and do other minor things like cracking down on drunk driving, which was a huge effort in North America and Europe in the 1990s), and driving does not increase, fatalities will decrease.

If you make cars safer, but you put hundreds of millions of brand new (therefore inexperienced) drivers on the road, fatalities will go up. If you don't bother to make those cars safe, all the more so.

The industrializing nations would consider it unfair if they were forced to adopt the same environmental and safety regulations while trying to grow new industrial economies that we have adopted 150 years after industrialization. And they'd have a point.

Deaths due to car accidents might fall in the US and Canada, but deaths overall will increase since there are more of us and we're getting older. So we won't die in a fiery crash; instead we'll live long enough to develop pancreatic cancer and Alzheimer's.

Since I'd prefer to die in a fiery crash rather than a slow, lingering cancer death, I can take solace in the fact that cell phone use continues to increase.

Fury13

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But the larger point is that there isn't a market for this kind of car in the US."

Sorry, I think you're dead wrong. It might have to be designed from scratch, as you say... but if it could meet US safety/emissions requirements, seat four people, get 50 mpg, and come in at less than $8000, I believe it would be a big hit.

Fury13

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm seeing many more Smart cars out there on the road, which surprises even me. A Smart that would seat four would sell well, I think.

Small, fuel-efficient cars are the future of the industry; I firmly believe that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.