Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Voters reject Conyers, Hendrix and Cobo deal killers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it seems that city residents have made it loud and clear - Approve the Cobo deal. This issue and City Council's rejection of it turned out to be the February surprise of sorts in Detroit politics this go around and dragged out all of the old provincial demons that have plagued this city, region and state. It looked like Freman Hendrix would use this wedge of divisional politics to come from behind and squeak into the special mayoral run-off election. It didn't work this time.

A more-than-healthy majority of city residents voted for candidates who either supported the Cobo deal or helped craft it when it was the most controversial. Less than a quarter voted for Hendrix, the main proponent of scuttling the deal. An argument can be made that in this time of President Obama, post-Kwame crisis and Monica Conyers craziness, voters are finally sick an tired enough of the old battle lines and hack politicians to move the city and the region forward. It might be a little bit of stretch, but could Detroit politics be turning a corner here?

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3,658 Detroiters voted for Joel Loving (Coleman Young, Jr.), the Subway guy.

Source: www.freep.com

Detroit is doomed. DOOMED I SAY - D O O M E D!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only because his father endorsed him from the grave.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those folks probably have altars to ol' Coleman. I've seen them in houses. They're a sight, all right.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a serious note (because most DYesers don't get when I'm being over-the-top sarcastic :-)), I wonder how the spin-meisters who portray Detroit as a city of 900K residents who hate anything to do with the suburbs will spin Detroit voters giving most of their votes to a suburbanite?

H m m m . . . the spin doctors are really going to have to work this one as the two runner ups (Cockrel & Hendrix) are both suburban-friendly candidates. I'm sure DYes posters will find a way to use these numbers to prove Detroiters hate the idea of working with the suburbs - and more importantly, the only concern they have is to elect the "blackest" mayor possible.

(Message edited by crumbled_pavement on February 24, 2009)

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mayoral primary
97% of precincts reporting
Dave Bing 25,648 28.8%
Ken Cockrel Jr. (i) 24,149 27.1%
Freman Hendrix 20,686 23.2%
Warren Evans 8,978 10.1%
Coleman Young 3,658 4.1%
Sharon McPhail 2,519 2.8%
Nicholas Hood III 2,027 2.3%
Jerroll Sanders 332 0.4%
D. Etta Wilcoxon 302 0.3%
Brenda Sanders 192 0.2%
Donald Bradley 153 0.2%
Duane Montgomery 150 0.2%
Stanley Christmas 102 0.1%
Joseph Holt 94 0.1%
Frances Culver 86 0.1%

LMAO that Coleman the Younger outperformed Sharon McPhail. Go away Sharon, and take your pathetic ilk with you.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"H m m m . . . the spin doctors are really going to have to work this one as the two runner ups (Cockrel & Hendrix) are both suburban-friendly candidates. I'm sure DYes posters will find a way to use these numbers to prove Detroiters hate the idea of working with the suburbs - and more importantly, the only concern they have is to elect the "blackest" mayor possible."

LOL! It's already happening on this thread... most of the comments thus far are about Sharon McPhail & Joel Loving. :-)

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 718
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, English, but my post about Joel Loving was sarcasm.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would you like to be Joseph Holt or Frances Culver tonight? Less than a hundred votes? Ouch.

The top four vote-getters are, in my opinion, all people who would do a serious job and try to find ways to improve the City, and now one of two will be Mayor, at least for a short time. So I'm pleased.

English

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough, C_p.

I'm pleased and proud over these results. Now I hope the voters of my natal city clean house in November when it comes to what my grandma still calls the "Common Council." They're "common" alright... sheesh!

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

talk about the pot calling the kettle black, Crumbled_pavement.

Do you not see the irony in making a negative generalization about suburbanites making a negative generalization about city dwellers?

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thrilled that it'll be Cockrel vs. Bing. That's the best we could hope for IMO. It essentially idiot-proofs the general election for Mayor. Council will likely still be a popularity contest with known names trumping thoughtful decision making.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that you are wrong about council. especially the incumbnuts that voted against the Cobo deal.

Monica C has lost her mind. I saw her sing-songing "do your job, do your job" if only she and others that voted for the bill kill did.

I wonder whether she knows something that we don't? Nah...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2593
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would have rather seen Cockrel vs Hendrix, but this will do I suppose.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guy managed to grab the #2 spot, but I'm anything but thrilled with the election..13% turnout?
How can the O/P claim ANYTHING about this election was "decisive" when nearly 9 out of ten voters couldn't "decide" to get off their ass and be heard?
The only thing it "decided" for me is that the outsiders and naysayers have been right all along..this town DESERVED a Kwame Kilpatrick.
Apathetic buncha no-show bastards..

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm thrilled that it'll be Cockrel vs. Bing. That's the best we could hope for IMO. It essentially idiot-proofs the general election for Mayor.

Nothing is idiot-proof. As my literary idol once observed, "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Apathetic buncha no-show bastards."

Will you make the same comment about every suburban election that has the same dismal level of turnout for their local government election? Most people vote in two elections, Governor and President. Otherwise, most of the decisions are made by 10-15% (or less) of the voters.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strong showing for Bing, considering that he was splitting the non-incumbent vote with so many people. Cockrel has his work cut out for him.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks, The Shrine done got kicked to the curb. Hard.

The Cheeks/Kilpatrick machine has suffered another blow. Look at the CCK primary last August where she squeeked out a victory over two underfunded opponants.

Trouble in Bedrock

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Strong showing for Bing, considering that he was splitting the non-incumbent vote with so many people. Cockrel has his work cut out for him.

It was a strong showing for Bing, considering he came in first place. The fact that there was a 14 way split of the anti-incumbent vote was simply one more reason why Cockrel is in trouble.

If Cockrel wants to continue collecting a paycheck, he's going to have to get over his aversion to doing actual work.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 923
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090225/NEWS01/902250306/?imw= Y

"Conyers, Watson and Collins suggested using federal stimulus money to fund the expansion and upgrade of Cobo.

Collins went further, saying Detroit should get the stimulus money directly, "bypassing the racist extortions of the state of Michigan."

These women are out of their minds. What are they thinking, or better yet, what flavor of kool aid are they drinking?

It didn't take long for the race card to rear it's ugly head did it? They are the biggest racists around.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Apathetic buncha no-show bastards."

"Will you make the same comment about every suburban election that has the same dismal level of turnout for their local government election? Most people vote in two elections, Governor and President. Otherwise, most of the decisions are made by 10-15% (or less) of the voters."

Not true..in last Summer's primary (an election in which the only big news was the Zoo millage), perennial forum whipping boy Livonia turned out 25% of the *populous. No prez, no guv, and nowhere near Detroit's apathetic 13% yesterday.
(*Yes, twenty-five percent of the POPULATION, not of registered voters. They spanked us.)

Face it, we ARE an apathetic buncha no-show bastards here in the motor city..we had the chance to make our voices heard in the mayoral election, coming off the worst mayoral term in friggin' history, and 87% of us chose to sit on the couch, instead.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well, it seems that city residents have made it loud and clear - Approve the Cobo deal.

Loud and clear? Seriously? Hendrix came up like 3% short. 40% of the population didn't vote for the winning candidates. Only about 13.9% of registered voters even showed up at the polls. City residents speaking loud and clear? More like city residents sitting at home on their lazy asses and not bothering to vote.

I ask you this, if 18% of the city is unemployed, how is it that those 18% can't even make it to the fuckin' polls to vote? Truly pathetic, and an embarrassment to our city.

I'll say what I gotta say about the whole Cobo deal over on that thread.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Zrx_doug:

Face it, we ARE an apathetic buncha no-show bastards here in the motor city..

First off, where you been Zrx? I thought you quit the site for a while.

Anyhoo, maybe it's a good thing some of us are an apathetic bunch that have no hope - specifically the ones of us who support morons like Monica Conyers. If that group stayed home and didn't vote then I'm glad, I won't complain about that at all. There is a difference between voting for the sake of voting and voting smart. If the smart voters showed up and the dummies stayed home then I'm fine with that.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too drugged or drunk to make it.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Crumbled..nah, I didn't quit the site, just needed a rest from local political bickering after the "summer of Kwamunism."
Been lurking, though..
:-)

Yeah, I'm glad the supporters of the weirder candidates didn't bother to make their voices heard..but it really twists my undies that as a whole, we just don't seem to give a damn.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sporto: 40 percent didn't vote for Obama either, but conventional wisdom says he won in a landslide. The voting turnout was better than I expected actually when you consider that 14 percent showed up on a freezing cold day in the dead of winter on Fat Tuesday none-the-less. Also consider that most people don't usually vote in February or in primaries and that none of the candidates was particularly inspiring. Oh yeah, voters will get a chance to make this decision three more times by November. Yeah, the turnout was pathetic but frankly I am surprised it wasn't in the single digits considering the circumstances.

Hendrix's performance is what was really pathetic. He probably had the best name recognition, resume and grass roots machine to run on. Hell, most of his supporters from the last election maintain he should have been mayor. Those supporters were in the high 40s of the last mayoral election that had a much higher turnout. He played the city versus suburbs/race card on a hot topic that all the hack politicians were trying to make hay over. He had all of this going for him and he could only pull 23 percent. That's pathetic.

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway,

Hendrix performance wasn't quite as pathetic as you make it out to be. Bing sucked away a lot of former Hendrix supporters by just getting in the race. Cockrel also gained some of his supporters by taking over for Kilpatrik and being a decent guy. He also had to go up against the perception of being a loser (voters don't often elect people who have previously lost in elections).

And, prior to popular opinion, he didn't play the city vs suburbs or the race card on the Cobo deal - he simply thought Detroit could get a better deal. His language on the deal was not remotely in the same zip code as the garbage spouted off by Conyers, Watson and Collins.

(Message edited by Norm on February 25, 2009)

English

Post Number: 463
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sporto: 40 percent didn't vote for Obama either, but conventional wisdom says he won in a landslide. The voting turnout was better than I expected actually when you consider that 14 percent showed up on a freezing cold day in the dead of winter on Fat Tuesday none-the-less. Also consider that most people don't usually vote in February or in primaries and that none of the candidates was particularly inspiring. Oh yeah, voters will get a chance to make this decision three more times by November. Yeah, the turnout was pathetic but frankly I am surprised it wasn't in the single digits considering the circumstances."

100% agreed with you! I am chucking over these Detroit naysayers -- what's turnout for suburban primaries? Even here in Ann Arbor it's pathetic. I should know -- I've voted in primaries here in 2006, 2007 *and* 2008!

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just because people don't vote in the suburbs too doesn't make it OK for Detroiters to not vote. The % of registered voters who actually vote is disgustingly low across the country.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.