Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Election Day « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I voted at our local precinct at 11:45 and there were only two other voters there. When we turned in our ballots, we discovered we were voters 34 and 35 for the day.
OUCH! It's disturbing to me how apathetic many Detroiters are about the special election.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 804
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon McPhailure will probably win, because of the low turnout.

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a shame...Wonder why the so-called 'pillars of the community' didn't get the word out; not necessarily to endorse a specific candidate, but to encourage the citizens of Detroit to VOTE.

There was very little urging put forth by city council, pastors, community leaders, civic organizations...where were they?

But let the wrong person get into office, they'll have a field day. In the same token, why do citizens continue to rely on these same organizations for guidance and trusting their word as 'the truth' rather than researching for themselves and trusting their own judgement. This is sad...

(Message edited by marianewtothed on February 24, 2009)

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pillars of the community (Agnes Hitchcock and her Call Em Out cronies) were in CAYMC today, sinking the Cobo deal. Standing in the way of regional progress and protecting fiefdoms is more important than getting out the vote.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was number 45 at 10:30 a.m. No line there either.
Is it possible people are just confused by all the elections we have to have to get past Kwame? One more thing to thank him for.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I was the very first person at my voting precinct and they weren't even ready! I purposely went in at 7:05am and the lady got the nerve to get mad at me for coming early! She asked me what time it was and I told her it's 7:05am. They couldn't believe it! They were scrambling to turn the machines on and set everything up. I had to go back outside the door, wait, and then come in.

Once all that happened the much more mature in age women couldn't see the print good enough to find my name so she asked the younger women to find it and she had a stank attitude. So after all that drama and I'm the only one in there I cast my vote and left. The lady told me they didn't expect someone to be here this early but they could tell by the way I was dressed that I was headed to work after I leave there. But I was number 001 at 7:05 am.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cha-Ching, Cha-Ching, Cha-Ching!
The sound of wasted money from a town that is not exactly awash with cash. Only three more to go.
"Gotta laugh to keep from crying..."

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was #3 at 7:20 am. Kind of amazing that the turn out was so light in comparison to the last one, where I had to wait in line 1.5 hours to vote.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most Detroiters, like most Americans, have election fatigue. And I can say that without malice, since I've voted in every single general election save one (when I first moved to Ann Arbor in 2005, and knew more about the Detroit mayoral race than anything else) and every primary save one or two (when I was out of town) in my adult lifetime.

One of the most annoying features of last year's GE coverage was CNN's "League of First Time Voters". I have zero respect for first-time voters unless they have a d*mned good excuse (i.e., illness, incapacitation, etc.) for not exercising the franchise.

No, you are NOT special because your first-ever vote was for Barack Obama in the general election of 2008, and you are over the age of 21. I'm completely unimpressed with you.

And that just doesn't go for Detroit voters. Even in Ann Arbor, no one votes during the primaries in off years. You can just walk right up to the polls and vote. Americans suck in general.

Abraham
Username: Abraham

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder who Kwame will vote for, if he even votes.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3722
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's disturbing to me how apathetic many Detroiters are about the special election."

This is nothing new, unfortunately. When Archer became mayor in 1993, he won without even carrying the black vote.

His being able to do that in a city that was around 80% black even then is an indication of the low voter turnout in Detroit.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't vote needs to STFU when they disagree with anything that the politicians do.

If you can't bother to vote, you have NO VOICE in matters.

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72, normally, I would agree with you. But I don't think it really matters who wins this particular election.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sooo... any early predictions as to who the top two may be?

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wife and I voted at 7:00 in Cass/ Canfield precinct and were numbers 59 + 60. Horrendous turnout.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was #120 at around 5pm at Greater Grace. There was hardly anyone there besides camera crews.

However, is this a bad thing? If only the enlightened people vote in this primary then maybe we can shoot down the SIX millage votes that were on the ballot.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was No. 37 at 3 p.m. in Precinct 15 (SW Detroit). Sad. Eight hours of voting and only 37 people? Pathetic.
950 has polling showing Bing running away in first with Cockrel about 6 percentage points over Hendrix. I'm surprised Cockrel isn't in first.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the lady working at murray wright was having a lot of trouble finding the alphabatized names. for example, the first two letters of my last name are 'kn'. she told me i wasn't on the list. when i looked at her list, she was looking near the 'ke' listings. she wasn't even on the correct page. a similar situation happened to the gentleman in front of me and she was telling him he was suppossed to go to a different polling station, until he finally looked at the name list himself ... meanwhile, a dismal amount of people was turning into quite a line behind me during this debacle. she was a very pleasant women though, at least ... by the way, i was number 205 at 5:30 p.m.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In Detroit, 15 mayoral candidates and probably twice as many voters....."

I think if you voted for yourself, your chances were still pretty good in this election.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at a polling place at Livernois and Pembroke. About 150 people had voted when I left at shortly after 4pm. It was a light but somewhat steady flow of voters.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^"Wife and I voted at 7:00 in Cass/ Canfield precinct and were numbers 59 + 60. Horrendous turnout."

Was this the 19th? I was #58 there at 1:00 PM, I think the log books reset at 500 or 1000.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>The pillars of the community (Agnes Hitchcock and her Call Em Out cronies) were in CAYMC today, sinking the Cobo deal. Standing in the way of regional progress and protecting fiefdoms is more important than getting out the vote.<<

My thoughts exactly, Reg.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4176
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

78% reporting:

Bing: 29%
Cockrel: 27%
Hendrix: 23%

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted for Hendrix because I figured Cockrel would be a shoe-in to make the primaries. I wanted Cockrel to have to face off with Hendrix and we could see who the better guy was in May.

I'm not surprised at all that Cockrel and Bing are in the lead. I am surprised that Bing is leading Cockrel. Looks like that possibility of multiple mayors in a year might become reality . . .

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

98% reporting - the numbers are holding. Methinks this will be a Bing/Cockrel fight.

Dave Bing 25,795 29%
Ken Cockrel 24,238 27%
Freman Hendrix 20,781 23%
Warren Evans 9,020 10%

I'm not surprised about Bing. When he promised to return his salary for police officers, he made a lot of traction with a lot of regular walkin' around people.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing spent way more time and money running for mayor.

Cockrel had the incumbent advantage, but spent much less money, and did not campaign nearly as much.

Should be an interesting battle

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4177
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised Bing's polling lead evaporated. The only question now is who will Hendrix's supporters come home to? Unlike the Hendrix v. Kilpatrick match-up, this isn't going to be an "anybody but Cockrel" election, so we can't expect that Hendrix's voters will automatically split for Bing. If anything, I think the vote for Hendrix is more likely to go to the more similar (i.e. Detroit political insider) candidate.

English

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will Freman Hendrix run again for the general?

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Digitalvision:

I'm not surprised about Bing. When he promised to return his salary for police officers, he made a lot of traction with a lot of regular walkin' around people.

I am. Because according to DYes, Detroiters hate anything to do with the suburbs and vehemently protest working with them in any manner or capacity. Yet these same anti-surburb Detroit voters gave most of their votes to a suburban resident.

H m m m . . .

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So will Bing now participate in any mayoral debates/forums between now and May?

English

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Exactly, Crumbled_pavement!

Black nationalism is MUCH weaker than it was when I was a kid growing up in Mayor Young's Detroit in the 1980s. I think that 2008 was a watershed year for the full integration of African Americans into American society for a number of reasons. Most of the rabid Black nationalists are baby boomers or older. Most pols in Kilpatrick's age bracket are of the Cory Booker/Deval Patrick/Barack Obama type for a reason.

Given all this, I'm not surprised to see that Bing and Cockrel prevailed, and Hendrix is in third place.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4178
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really is kind of impressive who the top three turned out to be. For once, every one of the top candidates is fit to run the city. Voters looked at Bing and didn't hold his residence against him; they looked at Cockrel and didn't hold his self-professed nerdiness/bookishness against him; and looked at Hendrix and didn't hold against him that he lost to Kilpatrick. Most second-placers who run again are usually laughed into non-competitive obscurity, and if even Hendrix didn't get a spot, he was well within striking distance. My only disappointment is that McPhail and Young topped Hood.

Tonight, Detroit won. If I was someone like Monica Conyes, I'd seriously fear tonights results in relation to my re-election campaign. The folks that prevailed tonight are nothing like her. This primary means so much more than many think it does.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 24, 2009)

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#118 at Butzel (West Village)at around 4:30pm. Very depressing turnout.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix mentioned he's done running for office, English.

Cp, it does surprise me sometimes how much people think Detroit or any city is a monolith. This happens with suburbs, too.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The things that I would question are, if Bing loses, will he run again in the real election later this year? Will an overwhelming vote for KC make him rethink the General Election?

And, if he doesn't run, will Hendrix reconsider?

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stosh, it does not sound like Hendrix would reconsider running again. Maybe further down the line, but probably for sure not in the regular election later this year.

If Bing wins, will he stick to his one-term pledge? (At least I recall him saying that)

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finney High School wasn't so bad. I was #105, or thereabouts, around 1:00 PM, for my precinct. No lines. Everybody pleasant at the polling station.

Saw the 11:00 o'clock news and was disappointed with the turnout and results. Cockrel was the personal favorite but the results, overall, are not too bad. Cannot wait til May.

Thanks for exercising the franchise.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 709
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hendrix mentioned he's done running for office"

Thats unfortunate Hendrix is a solid candidate and a strong case could be made for him being mayor. I guess he saw the landscape and realized that he wasn't going to raise the money that Bing has, and while you can campaign against Cockrel on his record, Cockrel will never put himself in a position where people would see him as not being accountable like KK.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4511
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was right after all.

I would be Cockrel vs. Bing for Mayor of Detroit and Cockrel will win because he has more political power then Bing.

Bing only has experience in the factories. While Cockrel has experience in the Detroit city politics.

YAY!

KEN COCKREL FOR MAYOR.

Danny

Post Number: 4512
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hendrix mentioned he's done running for office"

Good for him! He's a NO SHOW to most meetings. He's not ready to be in politics until he does his principles.

Norm

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

What in the world are you talking about? What meetings does Hendrix not show up to?

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's been a lot disappointment expressed over the low turnout, but the results were pretty good. Perhaps only the smart folks voted. If the 86% who stayed at home were the ones who voted for Kilpatrick last time, or the ones who checked off Monica Conyers, BRC, Martha Reeves, etc. for council last time then I'm thankful they didn't exercise their franchise.

If you look at the results you'll see that the top four finishers were IMO the four best candidates. That's encouraging. The top four pulled roughly 90% of the vote. The rest of the pack, jokers like McPhail and Joel Loving (CAYJR) and all the rest together only took 10% of the vote. I'd say that reflects well on those who voted.

Dave Bing26,32728.9%
Ken Cockrel Jr. *24,66527.0%
Freman Hendrix21,19523.2%
Warren Cleage Evans9,18410.1%
Coleman A. Young3,7444.1%
Sharon McPhail2,5612.8%
Nicholas Hood III2,0752.3%
Jerroll Sanders3360.4%
D. Etta Wilcoxon3090.3%
Brenda K. Sanders1990.2%
Donald R. Bradley1570.2%
Duane Montgomery1520.2%
Stanley Michael Christmas1030.1%
Joseph W. Holt1010.1%
Frances D. Culver870.1%
91,195100.0%

So I like 14% turnout. 14% turnout works. 14% turnout is good. I hope (in vain) for 14% turnout when we vote for city council. Sad to say, we'd get better government with lower turnout.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly at the Sheridan Towers on E Jefferson I was #192 @ 5:30pm. But on a lighter note, I was greeted by Warren Evans outside on my way back to the Car. Felt kinda bad tho since I didnt vote for him (rolling eyes)

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was #57 about 20 minutes before the polls closed at Trumbull and Canfield.
Oh well. Cheers to Dave Bing!

Urban_ninja
Username: Urban_ninja

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was only #55 just after 5pm for precinct 23. First post what.

Danny

Post Number: 4520
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norm,

Five years ago, While Hendrix was running for mayor against KING KWAME KILPATRICK. He didn't show up for his political meeting with the public thinking that he would win in a flash, but he lost it all and Detroit re-relect a "playa maya" that throws parties.

Norm

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

He missed one meeting or multiple meetings? Who sponsored the "political meeting with the public"? Or is "meeting" a metaphor for the entire campaign? I'm just trying to figure out what he supposedly missed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.