Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Movie: Flash of Genius « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just watched this movie last night. It's about the inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper and how he spent YEARS pursuing a lawsuit against Ford Motor Company for stealing his concept/invention. It was interesting to see attempts at showing Detroit and Ford in the 1950s-'60s but since I wasn't born yet I didn't know how accurate/authentic it was. Good movie, though. Available on DVD.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can read about the Chrysler case here.

http://bulk.resource.org/court s.gov/c/F3/32/32.F3d.1541.93-1 470.93-1450.html

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to wait tables at the midtown cafe in birmingham and his children (middle-aged then)used to come and eat diner there practically every night. they were pretty quirky from what i remember. and the rumor was that they were living on a huge settlement from their father's invention. midtown wasn't cheap, and they were there 5-6 nights a week. who knows... just sort of interesting.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to wait tables at the midtown cafe in birmingham and his children (middle-aged then)used to come and eat diner there practically every night. they were pretty quirky from what i remember. and the rumor was that they were living on a huge settlement from their father's invention. midtown wasn't cheap, and they were there 5-6 nights a week. who knows... just sort of interesting.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9057
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful, the youngest daughter is a regular around these parts...

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is she quirky? :-)

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She might be a bit quirky (in a good way) but she wouldn't have been in Birmingham:-)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: Careful, the youngest daughter is a regular around these parts...

My father was a student of his, I've heard 30 years of stories about this guy-of all the words he used to describe him not one was "quirky", not even a Masters from U of M would make him forget that @#%* Kearns. I had gotten tickets to a preview of "Flash" & invited him to go, he responded with an "F" word but it wasn't "Ford"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9058
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THAT story would make her smile...heh.

She's not negatively quirky (as Harmonie correctly assesses), but occasionally overcompensates. Ahem.

Easily voted the most like the quiet one mom warned you about, unless she called the meeting. Then watch out!

Still laughing at that story...I remember how a troublesome professor can affect a degree-seeker.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.