Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » What is on Hamilton? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chiclette
Username: Chiclette

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone please tell me what was at 13816 Hamilton in Highland Park?
Was it a house or business in 1976 & 1977 & maybe who owned it? This info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chiclette

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone please tell me what was at 13816 Hamilton in Highland Park?
Was it a house or business in 1976 & 1977 & maybe who owned it? This info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5923
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1957, this couple lived there
Lasanen, Roy and Aili
TO-6-8156
13816 Hamilton, H. P. (3)
Per Genealogia

Chiclette

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jcole. I've found that.
So, was it a house?
I found something else that said it was a business but I don't know what the date is on that. I was told by someone to sign up on the Detroityes.com that there are people with old phone books & people who know Detroit very well.
Thank you though. If you find anything else, please let me know. Thanks :o)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13816 Hamilton was the Pasadena Court apartment building containing about three dozen apartments.

Chiclette

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know what year? How did you find this out?
Was it apartments in 1976 or 1977?
Sorry, so my questions. I've been searching for this info for so long. Thank you!

Chiclette

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milem, I just saw on another page that you have old phone books. This is what I have. Lalanne & Ferguson Electrical-Carpentry-plumbing Repairs.
13816 Hamilton Highland Park, Mich 48203
phone: 866-2911
Was this a private resident? I don't have a year on this paper.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know much more than this: It was on a map from 1925, so it was built prior to that. It was already gone in an aerial photo from 1981. Here's a view from 1961:

13816 Hamilton

It was a three-story apartment building like so many others in that area, from that era. If it was demolished prior to 1981, then it probably was in bad shape by the late 1970s. Maybe they converted the ground floor to retail in its dying days, or maybe the business was run out of an apartment.

Chiclette

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Thank you so much! If you find anything else on this or the Lalanne guy "Fernand Lalanne"
Please share! Again Thank you!

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go up and down that stretch of Hamilton every weekday in the mid-70's. Although the street was already starting to decay pretty badly, there were still several largish, mostly occupied apartment buildings along Hamilton. Many of these old apartment buildings had retail at the street level, and even business space in the basement, down a little stairway from the street. Hamilton had been Highland Park's second shopping street, after Woodward, and there were still many small businesses along that stretch, including the by then dying "antique row" up by Six Mile.

Chiclette

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Eastsideal

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.