Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Challengers to Cheeks-Kilpatrick in 2010? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's never too early to discuss this race, thus who are some rumored challengers to Cheeks-Kilpatrick in 2010? Is anyone credible throwing feelers around? She seems ripe for a defeat if a dynamic candidate would step up (not equally horrible candidates like Waters and Scott).

In a separate question, because of her unpopularity could a quality Latino or white candidate beat her if it was a head to head race? Is there enough resentment in the black community to look beyond a candidate’s race just to defeat her?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelia Cockrel could have a decent shot at winning the seat. In the most recent Council race she ran fourth, after Ken Cockrel, JoAnn Watson and Monica Conyers. She has a large, hardcore number of Detroit supporters and, I believe, can appeal to the suburban voters in the district in a way that Watson and Conyers could not. Her biggest problem, perhaps, is that she does not live in the district as it is currently configured.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully she will be indicted/prosecuted by then as well as the rest of her family of crooks and be out of office.

Barring the above, Sharon C. would seem to be a good choice.

Oh yea, McFail should still be without an elected office then also. She's an attorney you know.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to run. I'm a college educated millennial, with a professional job. I live in Grosse Pointe Woods, own a rental property in Hamtramck, and have my heart in the D. I have a strong grasp on local issues, experience working with the public sector, and a vision for our community. What do you say? Do I have your support?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, Homer. My hope would be for Steve Tobocman to throw his yarmulke into the ring. He's smart, well spoken, hard-working and most of all: sane.

Oh yeah, he hates Maroun.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 709
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, you should run. You'd definitely have my support - although, not my vote.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve T. would be a great Rep. Hope he sticks around long enough in the D to run.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congress or City Council for Tobocman would be a great step forward for this city.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7803
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great choice, Gnome, he could pull a lot of support from both ends of the district.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Crumbled_pavement! Why don't I get your vote? I promise not to steal money.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't live in that district. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to vote for you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.