Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Advice for an intern in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... it feels like it's been years since I've posted on here. Don't worry though... I have filled the time between posts with plenty of lurking.

I am writing to ask for some advice. I have taken an internship in Detroit this summer that I am VERY excited about, and will be working on the westside. I am a student at U-M and I have a lease in Ann Arbor that runs until August. So, while it seems all too practical for me to live here and commute to Detroit everyday, but it just doesn't sound fun. I would really love to LIVE in the City, get to bar hop in the City, do my summer runs around the City etc..

I have done SOME searching of Detroit short-term leases, but I'm not finding anything substantial. I thought I high the jackpot when I found loftplace.com, but searching these boards revealed that the general opinion of the landlord of those properties is pretty bad.

I was wondering if anyone had advice about some places to look for affordable short-term leases. I know I am asking a lot, but really, I can only afford to spend about 700 a month. Off-street parking is important to me because I have a relatively nice car, nothing fancy, but I'd like to avoid the hassle of a break-in during the summer. I would also like to be somewhat close to good nightlife. I was thinking maybe Hamtramck? Also, the area around WSU... but I was worried about the parking situation. I don't know, I don't know.

If anyone has any pointers I would really, really appreciated it! Thanks!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tielerh11, my landlord in Hamtramck has a flat for lease on a month to month basis, in the $500 range.

Hamtranck certainly has a lively night life were you can leave your car at home and walk to any one of the local bars.

Plus you have the whole urban feel in a pretty safe area. The two times I needed to use the police, they arrived before I got off the phone.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can live in Hamtramck for closer to $500/mo. You may be able to find a rental with a garage, otherwise, your car will be on the street, which is not a really big problem (unless you drive a Chrysler product). Think of it this way,,,,street parking in Chicago is a pain in the ass, if you can find a spot. Hamtramck is a breeze.

You may also find a landlord willing to sign a month to month lease. Check the Hamtramck Citizen, the local paper. Many landlords don't necessarily like the prospect of a 4 month lease, but check anyways, and be honest with them up front.

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej and Hamtragedy,

That sounds GREAT. I have always really loved the idea of living in Hamtramck and I'm please to find that it's so reasonably priced!

I looked at the Citizen and have already gotten some good leads.

Detroitej, I might contact you for more info about that property. Does your landlord happen to have a website?

It seems like this is all so far away, but really, I would be looking for a May 1st move-in which is only about 2 months from now!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tielerh11, shoot me an email at detroitej72@yahoo.com if you want my landlord's number. The place he has for rent is behind Maine Street Restaraunt, which has pretty good food if your tired of Polish Food!

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tielerh, my building on second and hancock has month-to-month leases that includes utilities. i know there are some units available right now. i believe studios would be in the $450 range.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tielerh, i too live in that building on hancock, also, i can suggest a friend who does month to month leases.

shoot me an email: andylinn (at) gmail (dot) com for phone numbers...

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

talk to the people you're interning with. I've found that apartment hunting is a word of mouth. Also, paying $700 for an apartment in Detroit is way way way overpaying. Nice two bedrooms in hubbard farms are generally 400-600.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.