Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » DIA to slash 20% of workforce to trim costs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090223/ENT05/90223036/DIA+to+ slash+20++of+workforce+to+trim +costs

Looks like this is just the beginning too.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn I just gave them 60 bucks yesterday too.
I freaking love that place. Too bad I had to twist their arm to give it

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wife of one of my good friends wife was one of the layoffs. They did hire her back on a contract - sans benefits, of course.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of my friends lost his position today too.

:-(

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad, but not unexpected. I will renew my current membership in June, if I find a job first. Love that place!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the layoff in support personnel or were any curators let go. They also went back to closing at 4PM instead of 5PM on Wednesdays and Thursday like they did before the reopening.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really really hope they make it through the next couple of years without cutting much more. I love the place. I was given a membership to the Art Institute (Chicago) so I spent the money I would have spent myself on a membership and gave it to the DIA. It's one place in Detroit I'm very happy to donate money to to the extent that I can.

O.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob,

the layoffs were across the board- every department was affected. including every curatorial department.

i survived the cut, but i certainly can't feel happy about it at the moment. it's pretty sad in the museum today...

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, I hope the DIA can make it a few more years without more cuts. I feel really bad for everyone laid off at the DIA because they all do such a wonderful job. I will continue to support with my membership and bringing family and friends from out of town to see the exhibits. I have a some family coming to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit in April.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.