Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Anyone remember the Harlequin Cafe? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would anyone happen to know if Chef Sharpe cooks anywhere still?

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering the same thing... I'm salivating now.

Bobby08

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw him get evicted first hand,very sad day in the culinary world of the "D"

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 907
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for this question. I was recently thinking of Sharpe and the Harlequin and had planned to post the very same question. Answers anyone? What occupies the former Harlequin space now?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had many wonderful dates at the Harlequin, and it was one of the few restaurants within walking distance of my old neighborhood.

The food was always spectacular, although the service was painnnnfullllly slow.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard much good jazz at the Harlequin (Kenny Cox, Walden, Charlie Gabriel, among many others) and the food was usually really good. The service was uneven, at best.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was my date place too! The service was slow, but it was the kind of place where you went to spend the evening anyway. If you got tired of waiting, you could just walk over and stick your head into the bar for a few minutes. Hope he can reopen somewhere--he was a real Detroit culinary talent.

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had herd he was trying to open a new place downtown but not sure where this was about a year ago.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9056
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I run into his brother Michael, an old client, pretty regularly downtown...I'll see what I can learn.

My old attorney used to pluck and strum his guitar there regularly, too. Fellow's name was Arthur Mormon, he was quite the fellow.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I received a Blanche House Bed and Breakfast package as a gift one year which included dinner at the Harlequin Cafe. I had the best lamb chops I've ever had and the coffee with a hint of cinnamon was fabulous.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard, Sherman was in some sort of a deal with that albanian guy in Grosse Pointe.. Bucci's? Something like that, he was going to buy it from the guy but I believe it all fell through. And he was supposed to be doing a line of spices and flavorings with the Red Goose guys.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Harlequin Cafe around January 7th in 2000. We go about 6 inches of snow that day. I had made reservations a couple days ahead and called to make sure they would be open. Sherman answered the phone and assured me he would be open which I thought was odd. Wife and I arrived to find an empty and very cold restaurant. Sherman and his wife greeted us warmly, treated us like a king and queen, turned down the lights, put on some soft music and cooked us a wonderful meal. We were there for two hours and NOT another soul walked through the front door. I don't think I will every encounter a chef as decided to customer service at Sherman. He went WAY out of his way for me.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 915
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D-chef, is the Bucci guy selling out. Too bad. That's a pretty good place. Anybody going into business with Chef Sharpe better buckle up for a ride. It will be chaos, but the food will be good. Not sure I'd want to hold his note though. I'd be a bit more comfortable with cash.

Had some great meals at the Harlequin. But the service, awful, without exception. Primarily because the kitchen could never get the plates out at a reasonable pace. The fact that folks made return visits for so many years is an amazing testament to Chef Sharpe's food. By the end though, folks were giving up. Most folks could not abide three hour meals.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the wait... I knew he was slow as hell, the girl I was dating at the time lived right around the corner and we'd just chill. Whenever we'd make a reservation, we knew it'd be a six or seven hour night. No problem, bring some friends and listen to the music. If I was in a hurry, we knew not to go to the Harliquen.

I liked his food too, although the service DID suck. I think his yelling at the wife didn't help, though it was pretty damn funny to watch. The only time he ever really pissed me off was when he came out from the kitchen to do a salad tableside. Sherm stood there looking down my date's blouse (she did have great tits though and this isn't what pised me off. Hell, that slut LOVED showing them off) and he literally THREW the shit out fo the mixing bowl at the ceiling, while babbeling that 'The angels kiss it this way'
She was kind of grossed out that some of the greens hit the ceiling and he served them anyways.
When I called him on it, he tells me 'All -professional- chefs do it this way' and when I told him who I was, he tries to tell me "I'll comp you out tonight, but you stand me to dinner at your place " While I usually don't mind doing this, it pissed me off that he literally blew her complaint off and refused to re-plate the salad without the ceiling-boogers in it.

And I hear you about his paying the bills. I'm sure they know to make his deliveries COD, wherever he ends up.

Bucci guy? Yeah, apparently he's ready to throw in the towel. He's gone through about six chefs/cooks in the last year, and if he's tapping Sherman as a partner, you know he's desperate.

Bobby08

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, he flirted with me as well on "numerous" occasions!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Harlequin in 2004, had a dinner there with two friends,, the restaurant was full at 7:00pm, the only problem was that by 8:45 the only item we had was the soup, and others around us had nothing. Finally, no kidding, at 9:30pm a few entrees came out, most of the people, kinda drunk by then , stood up and applauded. We didnt get our entrees till after 10:00, many, many of the customers were walking out, not paying any sort of bill.. We finally got out of that place around midnight,, it was unbelieveably slow.. We joked how we started dinner one day and finished the next..and ,, never did return..

(Message edited by Detroitbill on March 02, 2009)

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs,

You must have gotten him on a good day- I played in jazz groups, gigging at the Harlequin, and Sherman was a complete dick to us. I asked for a glass of water one time and he simply told me "no- get back to work."

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean to tell me there was once a place where I couldn't get a meal in six hours because the chef was too busy eye-raping my date? Damn, I can't believe I missed out on such a culinary adventure. Is there anywhere else in the city that I can get some ceiling lettuce?

All of this and you get to watch the guy yelling at his wife? You can't beat free entertainment, where do I sign up? It's such a shame that treasures such as this cannot make it.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The food was great, it has to be said. He knew how to buy beef, and to do sides with a bit of a downhome Southern flavor that fit the steaks to a T. Yes, he did hit on my dates.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 954
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a screenplay for one of those idiotic, chef, teevee programs. I don't waste my time on those programs and I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time on a live enactment.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop, I never had Sherman treat me that way on the times that I played for him. Of course I've known him for many, many years. He has always been pretty cool to me and yes, he was a fine chef. As a musician, I saw a lot of the place and always thought he needed to rent a steam cleaner and really clean that place up! Dust everywhere.

One thing about working for him -- I always waited a few days to get paid which entailed another drive down to his place, spending more gas money for cash I should have already been paid.

The pompous reciting of the menu was a bit much but hey, its his joint. The staff was very under-paid from what I understood. I did hear him speak to them is a VERY rude mannor. I don't think that he is married -- that woman that he yelled at was his main employee. He called "Miss Ann" or something like that.

Sherman brought fine dinning and great jazz to his place. I'm always happy to see him.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laughed out loud reading your comments. It appears that he has a passion for food and I'll leave it at that!

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that a head injury he'd suffered earlier in life accounted largely for his "eccentric" behavior.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.