Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Detroit and the Small House Movement « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 572
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught something the other day about the "Small House Movement" (see link). The idea is homes of 100 sq (yes 100) to 800 sf.
http://www.resourcesforlife.co m/small-house-society/resource s

Detroit is a vast expanse of working class small houses. I've always thought that a big part of the city's collapse was simply obsolete housing stock. People wanted bigger homes.

But, thinking about this potential movement to small homes, could that city housing stock become current again?

When I drive around the city, the thing that hits me is how drab the housing looks. What would it take to gussy it up? If you look at the pictures of these small house vendors, the homes are really cute. I don't know... maybe I'm grasping a straws, but I can envision in 50 years great market demand to live in a sustainable city of Detroit with transit and high density small houses.

If our economy is as bad as they say, can the country really afford to throw away whole cities and their infrastructure as Richard Florida posits in that Alantic Monthly article posted here recently.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of cities do seem to be seeing growth. It sounds like Detroit is seeing some growth Downtown (from what I've heard). I'm not sure I know many people that would live in houses of 100 sq. ft., but dense city neighborhoods seem to be more desired now. I think many people have realized that gas-guzzling cars and far-flung suburbs cannot sustain themselves. But I can understand the concerns of those who don't want to move to cities (especially parents with school-age children).

I've been browsing St. Louis forums (since I live near St. Louis) and the back-to-the-city movement is growing some there, but there's still a long way to go. Large parts of the North Side are still fairly empty and blighted. Like Detroit (from what I've heard about Detroit Public Schools), St. Louis Public Schools in general leave a lot to be desired.

I think any city that wants to see exponential growth needs to have good public transportation, and probably decent schools. But I think cities will continue to see some growth, probably mostly young singles, young couples, artists, college students, and empty nesters. Cities need to take advantage of the urbanization movement. It's nothing so far compared to the suburban movement, but at least some are moving back to the city. I believe most cities are paying attention to numbers.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After living the first 20-21 years of my life in a 750 sq ft house, it's not something I would care to experience again.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4502
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, People wanted bigger homes. Not all people wanted bigger homes. Families start small. So they buy a smaller house. As the family gets bigger they they would buy a bigger house.

In Chicago, the housing stock is very small. There are more ranches and family flats than Detroit's ghettohoods and fewer bunglows, colonials and victorian praries style homes than Detroit ghettohoods. Ethnic folks in Chicago neighborhoods love to live those small housing due to more job opportunities. That is reason why the suburbs in Chicago remains small as long the jobs stays in Chicago and its image is in its diverse range.

Detroit has plenty of bigger housing stock than Chicago but sadly segregation and job flight strip away Detroit image and its going a long time if Detroit wants to come back to diversification numbers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.