Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Pipe Tobacco In Area? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love my Haymarket tobacco from Hill & Hill (Grosse Pointe Woods,) but I would like to have other options. Churchill's, whose Praline was terrific, has disappeared; Humidor One, also, seems to have vanished.
So, help the old guy out. Anybody know of any other good tobacconists in the area?
I'm on the NW side, so any place near there would be particularly helpful.

Ravine

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump (I'm so demanding.)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, here are my thoughts:

http://www.churchillsltd.com/

locations on old woodward in Birmingham and on 12 Mile in Southfield near the Star deli 1 blk west of telegraph. Exceptional service, will mix your custom blend and keep the recipe on file. If you're in a hurry, you can call ahead and they'll mix it up and have it waiting. Premium price.

http://www.jrdetroit.com/

On southside of Northwestern just short of 12 mile. Not my fav but you might like it.

Also, check out any Meijer Shifty Acres' tobacco shop. They have a bourbon blend that is top shelf.

Ravine

Post Number: 3082
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, your assistance helps me more than I can say. (A big statement, given my penchant for saying more than is necessary, appropriate, or interesting.)

When several Churchill's vanished, I found Hill & Hill, figuring that Churchill's was extinct. I was so taken with a couple of H&H's house blends, I forgot all about Churchill's, but now I am looking for A) a closer source and B) something different to smoke. I am delighted to see that Churchill's has a place at 12 & Telegraph. That's about eleven miles from me, which beats the hell out of the pain-in-the-ass crosstown trip to H&H.
But this news will not eliminate H&H from my list. That Haymarket will be calling my name, and I have a pipe which has been used, and will continue to be used, only for it, and that pipe is my best one.

Speaking of Hill & Hill, it cracks me up when some yuppie/genX clown walks in there and, seeing the nearly empty humidor, assumes "this place ain't got no cigars." Actually, the reason for the emptiness is that the guy does such booming mail-order business, piles of cigars arrive and are shipped out without ever spending any time in the humidor. At this point, he probably regrets having such a large humidor.

Gnome, thank you very much.
And that JR place, yeah, I'm with you... Speaking as a pipe smoker, I don't even count them...

(Message edited by ravine on February 19, 2009)

Gnome

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Ravine, not enough pipe smokers around IMHO. ...If it's closer, there is a newish place in Milford:
http://jandlcigarbox.com/
Last time I was out there I got the feeling they mainly do the cigar thing, but in looking at their site, they do carry pipe stuff.

I can't vouch for the Churchills on 12 mile. In Birmingham I delt with a guy named Tom I think. It has been awhile since I was there as I've been minding my pennies (plus the wife is not a pipe fan), but it is/was a first class establishment.

Never been a cigar-fan but I understand your feelings about the trendy cigar huffing hipsters.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Down to rolling, or stuffing, our own. McClintock, now made in Poland, is the tobacco of choice.

An inveterate cigarette smoker, I remember Balkan Sobranies, Nat Sherman's, still available, and English Ovals (A family friend used to sit on her Pall Malls and pretend).

Hill & Hill is a great place although it is a bit of a drive from the northwest suburbs to the far east side. I would suggest developing a relationship with your local, friendly liqour store. They may be able to find and stock the pipe tobacco of interest to you.

Ravine

Post Number: 3083
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ronaldj, that McClintock stuff is pretty good, I agree. I prefer Midnight Special. Just a matter of taste-preference, I suppose. I smoke regular; what about you?
Now, your mention of Sherman's brings back fond memories. I used to absolutely love their Slims. I don't even want to think about how much they may cost today, but if you know, tell me anyway. Great smokes, in my opinion. A former co-worker, who smoked Kools, used to bum them off me. He was a good friend, and every so often he would slip me a few bucks to compensate me, but I used to think, Jeez, man, ya smoke Kools. How can you smoke one of my Sherman's and then go on back to that shit?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they have Prince Albert in a can?

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now,Ray, You know they are too young to remember that gag.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I have searched high and low in the area. I found all that you have listed, but I wasn't content till I started mail ordering from http://www.cornellanddiehl.com /
I know they are not local but I smoke only non aromatics and they have everything you could look for in flakes and cakes. They also have plenty of englishes and aromatics also. Once you buy some tobacco from them they will be happy to through in 1oz. samples of the tobacco products. They are great folks.

Ravine

Post Number: 3085
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl_jr, my enthusiastic thanks for that tip. What a find! I will be investigating.
And, uh, Tony? Just why do you think we would be too young to remember Ray's joke?
Too young, no. Too polite, however, to chide Ray for interjecting such a completely worn-out line. Jeez, Ray; it's a good thing that you are naturally funny on your own, if that's the kind of jokes you tell.
*Ahem*
Guy is at the doctor's office.
Doc tells guy, "I gotta tell you, I really think you should stop masturbating."
Guy says, "Really, Doc? Why?"
Doc says, "Because I'm trying to examine you!"

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Ravine, I'm not much help, but as a fellow pipe smoker, I have to second your feelings about Hill & Hill's Haymarket blend. That is one refreashing tobbacco.

I'm pretty sure Jim has another location at one of the malls in the area, although I can't remember which one.

Ronaldj

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine: smoking regular. the odd mentholated or as my uncle used to say "candy sticks".

I will check on the price of Sherman's next time I stop at the local party store.

The State of Michigan's plan to take/tax a pound of tobacco to $70.00 is a crime against humanity and our wallets. Is it a fait accomplis or merely a scare.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3935
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Too polite, however, to chide Ray for interjecting such a completely worn-out line."

Yeah, you're right. Somehow I just couldn't resist it.

Anyway, this reformed smoker gets irked by cigarette and cigar smoke, but pipe smoke still smells good to me.

Prince Albert or not.

Ravine

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take back what I said about "not counting" JR. I stopped in there, and found that they have much more to offer than I remembered them as having, plus they have a selection of the Cornell & Diehl products to which Karl_jr referred.

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just started smoking a pipe for purely aesthetic reasons...I bought a pipe online that you light from the bottom of the bowl...went to rite-aid and bought a pound of vanilla tobacco in a bag. I had no problem lighting and smoking the pipe, but the smoke seemed hot and the tobacco left an unpleasant sting in my mouth.Any recommendations on a better tobacco for a beginner, I enjoy the aroma of a pipe and would also like to eliminate that sharp "bite" of the tobacco. Thanks.

Gnome

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

went to rite-aid

Rookie mistake. Go to Churchills or Hill and Hill and tell them you're new to the game. They will walk you through the various blends and the proper way to maintain your pipe. Ask about nose oil.

Burning a new pipe to the bottom is a no-no. You have to ease a pipe into mellowville, otherwise you're smoking briar. You have to build up the inside of the bowl and it takes time. Slow and ez. Small loads, packed but not too packed, and don't hot-box your draw.

Hope I'm not being too brusk, not my intention. Go find an old guy at a pipe shop and ask him. Old guys know everything.

Ravine

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigcab, Gnome is not being too brusque; Gnome is telling you the straight truth.
But don't worry about the pipe; I don't think you ruined it, or anything like that, although I have no clue about this "light from the bottom" business.
You just set yourself up for an unsatisfying smoking experience, that's all.
Even when handled, and smoked, with 100% correctness, a new pipe does not provide a truly fine smoking experience until it has been used about 10 times, at the very least.
Gnome's loading advice was good. While it is still new, don't load it all the way to the top, and don't try to smoke it all the way down. As you smoke it a few times, it will be seasoning itself with a bit of a coating on the inside of the bowl.
Never twist off the stem, for cleaning purposes, until the pipe has completely cooled down. If you do it when the pipe is still warm, you will lose the snugness of the stem-bowl fit.
You probably bought some tobacco which is, well, less good than you might prefer. The combination of that factor and your mistake of smoking it too far down probably explains the tongue-bite.
Again, I'm with Gnome... If travelling to Hill & Hill, on Mack Avenue between 7 & 8 Mile, is a can-do, Jim will walk you through the whole matter, and when he tries to sell you some Haymarket tobacco, take his word for it and buy it. Obviously, you like vanilla, and Haymarket is an absolutely fabulous aromatic blend which features, among other things, a touch of vanilla, and with Haymarket, there will be no more biting.
One last thing: You and your new pipe are going to go through a learning process together, and that process may take a toll on the pipe. How to load, light, smoke, and care for a pipe are things which can be taught, to some extent, but there really is no substitute for experience; you may come to look back on this pipe as your "learning pipe," with your next pipe being the benefactor of the trials which this one, and you, go through together.
Some tips:
http://vegassmokes.com/pipe-sm oking-tips.htm
Best wishes to you in your new endeavor!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Ravine.

And here I thought I was the only one on DY who smokes a pipe!

P.S. Ravine, I'm sure your not an old guy, I'm sure your close to my age, almost 40, hardly old...

(Message edited by detroitej72 on February 25, 2009)

Bigcab

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gnome and Ravine :

I have thick skin and the bluntness of your post did not rub Me the wrong way...I knew it was a rookie mistake to get tobacco from Rite-Aid...and probably flavored tobacco is was a no-no as well, I'm taking baby steps. My first pipe is pretty cool..it is designed to light from the bottom of the bowl (wich is really a stainless screen) and the top of the bowl has a removable cap that stays on while smoking..it burns "up" not down" Check it out here ...

http://www.mountwashingtonvall ey.com/pipe/

What do You "old guys" think of it ?

Thanks again for all the great advice..

Gnome

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, never smoked a pipe like that before. I've been a fan of briar and have never tried a maple pipe before.

Here is a link that walks you through the pipe break-in process. http://www.ehow.com/how_224328 0_break-new-briar-pipe.html

It has been my experience that drawing rapidly on a pipe, or puffing it, is the best way to get an overheated bowl and therefore tongue bite. Also, overheating a new pipe risks cracking the bowl. ez and slow is best policy.

On the subject of Rite-aid tobacco. It might be just fine for a beginner if you don't want to spend the bucks of a custom blend. Even Prince Albert can deliver a smooth smoke if the pipe is seasoned. The rookie mistake is in the rapid puffing. A lot of folks treat their pipe smoking like there is something in there besides tobacco.

As an aside, I have found some great pipes at estate sales, they're already seasoned and when you clean them up and replace the stem, they're ready to roll.

Bigcab

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

visited Jim at Hill and Hill today...

He proclaimed my new pipe "unsmokeable" sold me a 40 dollar estate pipe and a bag of haymaker..then we went right to school on packing...little pinches..no scooping..and light..tamp..relight...

Enjoyed pipe smoking the way I envisioned it all the way from Grosse Pte. to Port Huron..THAT guy..knows...gonna stop in for more lessons..Thanks for the direction Gnome...

Just threw my 14 dollar Vannilla Schitt in the garbage..

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bigcab, I went to Hill & Hill last September and Jim sold me an estate pipe (Dexter is stamped on it)is that what you got? He had a few of those reddish briar pipes to show me. I think he said they were from the 1950s?

Mine smokes pretty well, has the straight stem... I think I want to get a curved stem next, maybe a churchwarden, hehe.

Bigcab

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dave...

Nope I got a curved stem Algerian Briar made in France. Jim sold it to me because it is light in weight and "we havent determined if I am a mouth holder or a hand holder" The smoke on my way home from the store was fantastic and I am looking forward to learning more and maybe getting a 3 or 4 pipe collection some day...I had no idea there was such an art form to pipe smoking. My little bowl lasted about 40 minutes ( with a few rookie relights) but the smoke was cool with no bite and a pleasant aftertaste...really want to learn the art of packing for a lonnnnnggg uninterupted smoke. Going into Hill and Hill felt like going into a secret society and talking with Jim was like talking to the Grand Pooh bah. Pretty cool experience.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6692
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll go out on a limb and recommend a corncob pipe.

Seriously! Stop laughing! :-)

Yeah, yeah, I know it has a horrible hillbilly reputation but it's very lightweight and sweet because it's absorbent. The only problem is they don't last as long as briar.

Meerschaum is highly overrated. It's way too heavy. Okay, it can be carved well but who are you trying to impress?

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any good places in the southern suburbs?

Stromberg2

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 694
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At $70 bucks a pop, you guys might want to try what I'm smoking. There's not much of a price difference, the smell is sweet, and you can take a trip without even leaving the farm.

Gnome

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, you speak the truth. Nothing wrong with a corncob pipe. Inexpensive, light and stylish in these neo-cheap-chic days. Not working with one right now; but it's hard to beat a corncob pipe, a fishing pole and a summer afternoon with a clear schedule.

BigCab, yes it is a bit of a gadget game, and one that can lighten your wallet. Don't fall for all the accoutremon. The silver cake scrapers and lambskin tobacco pouches, it's better to focus on the ritual of it all. The pinches, tamping, the swirl of fire and gyre of smoke ...

Ravine

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigcab, I'm glad you went to Hill & Hill, and I'm even more glad that you are glad you went to Hill & Hill. It is important to keep the inside of your pipe clean, but please remember my advice about not twisting off the stem until the entire thing is absolutely, totally cooled down.
A great thing about buying an "estate" pipe is that it has been broken in, already, and once it has been seasoned with the aroma & taste of your Haymarket, just you wait 'til you see how good that stuff is going to taste!
Keep in mind that you will need to occasionally give the inside of the bowl a light scraping-out.
I am curious about why Jim pronounced your other pipe to be "unsmokeable." I will interrogate him forthwith.
And be careful toting that little fella around and smoking it all over the place. It is heartbreaking, to drop a pipe and break it.
As for re-lighting, don't feel as though that is some rookie act or an indication that you loaded it, or smoked it, "incorrectly." It's funny; sometimes a bowl will just go out.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a lot of good information in the previous posts. Has anybody heard about the increase in the amount of tax the State of Michigan will be charging on tobacco? I heard the tax will increase from $7/pound to $30/ pound. If that is true there may be a decrease in the amount of shops.

Ronaldj

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine: just checked with local purveyor on Sherman's cigarettes. Roughly $8.00 per pack. At the price, suitable only for sport smoking.

OTP (Other Tobacco Products) taxes proposed by State of Michigan are usurious and unfair to the working smoker. Will I be able to write-off my labor in the making of my cigarettes. What will be cheaper: the nicotine patch or a psychiatrist?

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 579
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

really want to learn the art of packing for a lonnnnnggg uninterupted smoke

The only way I can get a long uninterrupted smoke from a pipe is by packing it using the "Frank Method"

Look it up and try it out, it's definitely worth the time to learn it.

Regarding the corncob, the Missouri Meerschaum pipe company makes inexpensive maple pipes too. I've got one and it's my favorite pipe. I've dabbled with used briar estate pipes as well, but this ones my favorite smoker.

www.corncobpipe.com/

pipe.gif

Ravine

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad that I started this thread; this has turned out to be informative & fun.
Ronaldj: Thank you. Love that term, "sport smoking."
Stinger: The amount of tax increase depends on the tax-class of the product. I'm told that loose tobacco for hand-rolling will be hit the hardest. That's bad news for me, but I will admit that we rollers have been making out like bandits up until this new increase.
Wally: The 3-part YouTube video from Frank was fascinating, as were some of the other pipe-related videos attached. I guess we all have our own pet methods.
I will caution Bigcab, and other folks new to the pipe-smoking biz, to be wary of some of those videos, however. Some of those demonstrations are less than authoritative; for instance, the guy who looks to be incinerating about half of his bowlful while demonstrating his lighting technique. I think he's one of those guys who just likes to puff up voluminous clouds of smoke, probably thinking it looks cool, or something young & foolish like that.
There's a lot of that, in pipe-smoking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.