Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Viola Liuzzo and her legacy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am reading a great book (part 2) by William J. Bennett called "America: The Last Best Hope." This 2 book series tells american history and the details that go unmentioned in history books and movies. I highly recommend it.

I am all the way to 1965 and I have run across a 1 line anecdote about a woman named Viola Liuzzo, "...a Detroit housewife, was gunned down attempting to help young black volunteers register voters."

A quick google search gives some interesting history to her mission and subsequent death. I had not heard of her before. Do any of our older posters remember this killing, and any of the subsequent events?

Just curious to learn more about a good Detroiter who probably deserves more historical recognition.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a 74 minute documentary on Viola Liuzzo, released in 2003, titled Home Of The Brave. It is distributed by Home Vision Entertainment and should be readily available.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great!! I am on my phone right now so my computing resources are limited, but I will have to check this out.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Liuzzo was one of the civil rights struggle's bravest martyrs. I remember hearing of her murder as a 12 year old, but I was grown before I really began to comprehend her sacrifice and that of her family. The Liuzzos lived on Marlowe in northwest Detroit at the time.

Thanks Dannyv...I have seen her story presented in fairly good detail in any number of documentaries on the civil rights movement, and I knew there had been a documentary done specifically on Viola Liuzzo, but I couldn't recall the title.

(Message edited by gary on February 18, 2009)

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 662
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was called "Home of the Brave" (not the best title, granted). It was nominated for an Oscar.

Wintersmommy
Username: Wintersmommy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they had an exhibit about her going on at the Southfield Library..just ended
http://www.cityofsouthfield.co m/NewsEvents/tabid/158/newsid1 480/469/mid/1480/Southfield-Pu blic-Library-to-host-Viola-Liu zzo-An-Exemplary-Woman-in-Extr aordinary-Times-exhibit-Januar y-15--February-6/Default.aspx

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least four books have been published about the murder of Livonia's Viola Luizzo in the Selma
voting rights marches and the long litigation
that followed involving the FBI's knowledge
that she might be killed. If you enter Viola
Luizzo in a search engine for a major book chain,
you will find used copies available at low cost.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Knowledge of this Forumis so cool..Here is the Wiki Version i do not always agree with them ..But this is very accurate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V iola_Liuzzo

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5281
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's also been discussed here before - do a search

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That exhibit recently at the Southfield Public Library had also been displayed at the Detroit Historical Museum, as I recall. I remember seeing it there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.