Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » RENT!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 589
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone going to see RENT at The Detroit Opera House this week? It opens tonight.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprising my fiance with a late valentine's day trip to Detroit to see Rent on Friday.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going on Thursday with my wife. Really looking forward to seeing/hearing the original Mark and Roger live!

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to watch the movie and was disgusted by it, turned it off and sent it back. :-P

El_jimbo

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what disgusted you?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Going on Thursday with my wife. Really looking forward to seeing/hearing the original Mark and Roger live!"

No original Roger:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=200990218041

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 856
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Lizaanne Sounds like someone is scared of America!

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Sharmaal no, sounds like someone is disgusted with Chris Columbus's directing, which is completely acceptable

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm treating myself to Rent tonight (Friday) for my birthday Tuesday. [I always have to go to musicals by myself.] Initially, when I purchased the ticket, I had no idea that the Broadway Tour was actually to feature the original cast.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was disappointed about Adam Pascal (Roger) being out, but it was really a treat to see Anthony Rapp (Mark) live! Gwen Stewart was great, too!

Hadn't seen the show since it came to the Fisher on its first tour back in '98, I think, and I enjoyed this production even more!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went opening night, it was awesome!! Even better because I'd never been to the Opera House before. Musicals aren't really my thing, but my sister (totally LOVES Rent) won 4 tickets through 96.3, including backstage passes and an interview with Lexi Lawson, who plays MiMi. It was pretty exciting to have such awesome free seats, and get backstage.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4494
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

525,600 minutes of those folks living the New York Studio Apt. Now that's a equivent to the NBC T.V. sitcom Friends.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm taking my wife tonight. I'm more excited to see the inside of the Opera House finally than actually seing the play, but I'm sure I will enjoy it also.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's the lead actor in it? I hear Gary Johnston is incredible. It's said he has college majors in Theater and World Languages.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 591
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last 2 shows are today.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 948
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on Friday night with my fiance. FANTASTIC performance. I'm not a huge fan of the musical although I do enjoy it. My fiance is nuts about it and she had a great time.

It was my first trip to the Opera House and I was EXTREMELY impressed. Detroit is truly blessed with some beautiful theater spaces to see performances at. I've seen live shows of various types at the Masonic, the Fisher, the State, and now the Opera House. Each one is a treat in and of itself.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.