Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Beaver! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has beaver! On the top national stories is this story about beavers. Just when we thought we were safe from them... They're back...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29 222122/

I love how they say that they wanted to secure the little bugger's safety before announcing anything. You know they really wanted to get rid of him for damming up their intake to the plant.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3527
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Low-hanging fruit. :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5274
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved this when I saw it @ Freep.com this morning.

Evidence that the river has been getting cleaner has been arriving for a while now. last year or the year before there were reports of fish eggs being laid, and imagine my surprise at seeing fish flies at the Rencen People Mover station a few years ago! I can't remember seeing them downtown ever before.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bigbeaver.jpg

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good to note that the Beavers have returned to their "natural state" as they once appeared on the Detroit River in the 18th Century. Too many of the "shaved" variety around today.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like eatin' beavers!

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay sludgedaddy,now that the dinner soup went out the nose and onto the keyboard,I can also report of beavers being spotted on the "runway" of a local airport....

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They wanted to ensure the beaver's safety? Haha. What they don't know is that if the beavers have decided to dam that up, they got a fight on their hands. They are the most tenacious critters on the planet. They'll learn what "Busy as a beaver" means. At one time most states had a bounty on them.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Through their industry, beavers in Michigan's Upper Penninsula often create flooding when damming up streams and drainage ditches. Workers from Michigan's Department of Natural Resources will sometimes be forced to dynamite the work of these industrious creatures.

If Edison must do likewise, I'm sure PETA or other such organization will come out with the statement: "Edison, you were a little hard on the Beaver,last night!"

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to think I edited my original post before posting it to make it a little more politically correct... :-)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 766
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day, beavers lived in the forest or jungle. Then their habitat started to get trimmed away to a patch and then a landing strip for the cargo to land on. Now the furry beaver is becoming an endangered species due to the increased use of chemicals and wax products in their environment. You can no longer find the bushy animals in Brazil.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has taken our minds off of the depressing news.Raptor56 is going straight to hell,I'll save him/her a seat.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor, thank you for the Cliff Claven moment.

;-)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 771
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As my last little bit of off color humor, and at the risk of sounding like a complete male pig, I'll admit I did have one of these signs hanging next to my bed until my lovely fiance moved in and implied that she'd rather not sleep next to it anymore. :-) It now sits in a box with some of my other signs, waiting to move into a house with a basement...

Beaver Crossing

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R56, I could warn you about the creeping matrimony you find yourself in. First, it's your bachelor art collection that is relegated to the basement. Then, you'll find yourself seeing your get-high buddies less often until the wedding, after which you'll never see them again. That is, until their too soon, early death funeral. Next you'll find yourself in the basement along with the remnants of your past, happy-go-lucky life listening to the music you both once loved. I could go on but I'm gonna pass you over to someone wiser than both of us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =owqLjzTu3SA&feature=PlayList& p=CD5B48BBF003E561&playnext=1& index=5

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:15 pm:
I like eatin' beavers!"

OMG that was too funny. How do you get ice tea off of a flat panel monitor?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor, HOF quality, I doff my beaver hat to your Lowell Thomas style travellog of the lower Amazon.

One could find a certain orderliness in a well-groomed beasty, however, it is the piercing of the old-girl that I find particularly chilling.

pierced pussy

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, in a year or two the wolverines might be back in Ann Arbor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.