Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Living in New Center « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I currently rent in Ferndale and we're looking to buy. We moved to the area last August after school and love Ferndale. However, living in Detroit appeals to us and New Center provides some very attractive and affordable housing options. We'd love to be in downtown or midtown, but costs to rent and buy are just too high in both areas, IMO.

So I've done plenty of research on New Center, but I'm wondering if any DY'ers have insight about day-to-day life there. It's rated as a highly walkable area, but is this true at night? We enjoy walking to restaurants and bars in Ferndale and think we might lose that in New Center.

Other pluses I can think of for New Center: proximity and views of outstanding architecture, police presence, solid base of daytime residents (State hopefully not going anywhere), potential light rail that would hopefully increase value, proximity to downtown and midtown... Anybody got any other big advantages? I think my wife is strongly in favor of Ferndale in the long term at this point and I'm looking for some arguments...

Thanks.

(Message edited by cloud_wall on February 15, 2009)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not buy in Ferndale?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why not buy in Ferndale?

Cloud_wall clearly said...

quote:

However, living in Detroit appeals to us and New Center provides some very attractive and affordable housing options. We'd love to be in downtown or midtown...Other pluses I can think of: proximity and views of outstanding architecture, police presence, solid base of daytime residents (State hopefully not going anywhere), potential light rail that would hopefully increase value, proximity to downtown and midtown...

(Message edited by DetroitRise on February 15, 2009)

Cloud_wall

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are lots of good reasons to buy in Ferndale and lots of affordable options here. Right now, that's where it looks like we'll be. I'm just looking for some good arguments for New Center to make to my wife in order to keep the option open.

(Message edited by cloud_wall on February 15, 2009)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 722
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.newcenter.com/housi ng.htm

It will take a while before 'downtown' New Center is truly walkable like Ferndale, with bars & restaurants littering the streetwall, but for now there are a variety of shops in the Fisher Building & a few bars scattered around. With the coming of Light Rail & the completion of CCS's Argonaut Building renovation you will see a lot of activity here in the coming years. It is truly one of America's ideal urban environments, with beautiful historic homes in close proximity to Art Deco office skyscrapers, and holds a lot of potential for those who purchase here early in the game.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either Ferndale or New Center would be a great place to buy right now. You'll probably be happy no matter which place you choose.

My wife and I put in a bid on a house in New Center in late 2007 and we were beaten out by another forumer, coincidentally. We ended up buying a place in Midtown (you can find places here really cheap right now, too) but still hold both neighborhoods in high regard.

New Center is about as safe as it gets in the greater downtown area. We were looking at a house on Pallister (a beautiful pedestrian only street) and I checked the neighborhood out in the middle of the night. It was very quite, all of the street lights were working and a neighbor came out to walk his dog and see who was walking around his block, staring at the architecture. He turned out to be a great guy, showed me around and gave some great info about the neighborhood. For instance, a former Wayne County Sheriff/Judge lives on Pallister. However, he is moving because of health reasons I think.

Anyways, the neighborhood was quite cool. It is walkable but not as much as Midtown or downtown. The architecture blows away anything that you'll see in Ferndale. Not to mention Pallister is one of the most beautiful streets I have ever walked down. You can find some great buys there, such as:

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28171557

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28194507

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e29010795

However, you can also find some good deals in Midtown, too, such as:

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28204094

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28205453

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e29013753

Might I also suggest you look at enlisting the help of a real-estate agent. Much of the building stock out there today consists of foreclosures and you will want a professional to handle all of that headache. Plus, the market is so in the buyer's favor the seller almost always pays the real-estate agent's commission there days. Oconnor Real Estate, www.oconnordetroit.com, is often spoken of highly here. We used Margaret Palmer, www.margaretpalmer.com, and highly recommend her. She has worked in the city for years and knows where all of the bodies are buried. She will make sure you don't get stuck with something like an unpaid water bill after the fact. She was also referred to us by a forumer, lives in the area and is still a friend of ours.

Best of luck with your search.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 723
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wowza! The brick, pedestrian-only portion of Pallister is one of the coolest streets in the whole city.

http://www.realtor.com/realest ateandhomes-detail/Detroit_MI_ 48202_1106215787?mp=1

Full listing of homes for sale in New Center historic district:
http://www.realtor.com/realest ateandhomes-search/Detroit_MI/ 48202/3011-W-Grand-Blvd

Cloud_wall

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the help (though I'd welcome more). Hemingway, I hadn't seen two of those midtown listings and am pleasantly surprised. Ms. Palmer also looks like a good resource.

Cloud_wall

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George, I appreciate and share your optimism. The light rail project seems to be in good hands and moving along well. But there's always uncertainty, especially in this town, and the economic climate make capitalization even more difficult. I wish it was more of a sure thing with an expected completion date in place.

Assuming this project gets done, I think New Center will become the "northern anchor" of downtown it was originally envisioned as (and probably once was - I don't know the history well enough).

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'a former Wayne County Sheriff/Judge lives on Pallister'

We looked at that house. It was beautiful, but I'm in love with Indian Village. The backyard is beautiful.

Hubby took worried about guest parking. I love the pedestrian-only street, but it just wasn't for us at the time.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cloud_Wall,

If I were you I would take another look at housing options in Midtown. Lot's of good inexpensive options in good neighborhoods. I recently saw a house on Avery in Woodbridge for just $75k and a house on Canfield and Commonwealth for about $85k, arguably on Woodbridge's premier intersection.

IMHO Midtown offers the best walkability and community in Detroit (it generally lacks affordable single family homes, but the economy is changing that)

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i second that on midtown/woodbridge. i've lived here for seven years and LOVE it. i grew up near indian village, which was beautiful and i also enjoyed, but the walkability in midtown is the best in the city, i believe. i work nearby and only need to use my car once a week or so.

that pedestrian street in new center is amazing, though!

while i enjoy many things about ferndale, in my opinion some reasons to live downtown (midtown, etc) instead are:

-more exciting environment
-stunning architecture
-closer access to culture
-more space (larger house, yard, etc.)
-tight-knit community

despite the down economy and detroit's obvious problems, i really think it is an exciting time to live here.

although i can't be sure, i'm guessing some reasons your wife is hesitant to move to new center in the long term include safety and schools, which are understandable.

as a 30-ish woman who lives alone and grew up in the city, though, i can say that with some normal precaution, i have never felt unsafe in midtown or had any major problem with crime. also, there are some excellent school options.

i'm starting to think about buying, too, and am interested in woodbridge, midtown and hubbard farms - there are some really great deals there.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the New Center area (Virginia Park, technically). The area has a lot of pluses. You're close to the Lodge, which is nice. You're close to some retail on Woodward and Holbrook takes you over to a grocery store on Campau in Hamtramck. The Fisher Building is gorgeous (GM Building ain't too shabby, either). You're RIGHT at City Fest (TasteFest, whatever you wanna call it).
But when it came to buy, I bought elsewhere for several reasons:
1) The east side of Woodward is not half as nice as the west. I'll just leave it at that.
2) The retail that's available isn't that much. Yes, you can get a "whole turkey" and there's a thrift shop north of Woodward, but one can eat only so much Chinese (the sketchy place just north of the boulevard it's actually very good) and Popeye's.
3) You're kinda isolated from the good stuff. Midtown isn't a far drive, but I never felt comfortable walking or biking it.
4) A lot of the homes seemed overpriced (at least three years ago). The area just north of the boulevard that was rehabbed by GM is nice and quaint, though.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure you check out Islandview Village in your search, as well.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9442
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Ferndale, but far be it from me to convince someone not to move to Detroit if they want to. The world doesn't need any more of that point of view. Though we do have a new $30,000 light-up totem pole, if that sways your opinion any.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to the Fisher Building, New Center One has a lot of stores and some quick food options.
I live in Midtown but often bike or walk to New Center via Woodward or Cass, and it's always totally fine.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 943
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my wife and i bought a house last year on the section of pallister that gsgeorge pointed out (and were the ones that beat out e_hemingway with our bid). we had lived downtown and in corktown previously.

new center is not quite as walkable as those two neighborhoods or midtown. meaning that there is a lot more variety and nightlife in those neighborhoods. however, it still is probably one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the metro area.

after living there for a while, i would almost classify it as halfway between a very urban area and a quiet neighborhood. there are all great options for dining, night life, entertainment, and shops. [we've been really enjoying the fisher theatre this year.] there are little stores where you can get some staples, but also close enough to eastern market and university foods for groceries.

for tiger's games and other downtown events, the woodward bus is really great. also, for trips, the amtrak station is within walking distance. if you're not into mass trasit, then getting on the lodge and 94 is very quick and easy.

the community is awesome. we've been made to feel welcome from day one. the diversity is great too; all different types of people with all different types of careers; doctors, lawyers, musicians, architects, realtors, teachers, etc. everyone is very participatory in neighborhood groups as well. there is the new center commons neighborhood association, uptown row homeowner association, and the woodward center homeowner's association. these all participate in the parks of new center non profit and are associated with CANCAN. this all works in conjunction with the new center council (more business oriented and puts on the cityfest).

safety is also a plus. the DPD central district is headquartered here as is the detroit center for state police. wayne state and henry ford hospital security also overlap some of the neighborhoods. my wife and i have never felt uncomfortable walking around in the area at any time of day.

that all being said, it is a fairly small area; grand blvd. to virginia park and woodward to the lodge. there are less commercial options than maybe downtown, midtown, or maybe ferndale. it also tends to be more of a professionals and family oriented neighborhood (as opposed to younger couples, college students, bohemian types, etc.), so it may not have the "vibe" you're looking for.

to make a long story short, it is a stable, great neighborhood, but it definitely has a feel that's different from more downtown or "hip" neighborhoods. i think it will only get better though. there is really strong, dedicated community and business groups dedicated to further improve the area. techtown is directly to the south and has only been expanding. the new CCS grad school in the argonaught building will bring more people into the area that will bring a new type of energy. if the light rail every comes to fruition, this will really be a big hub in the city; the train to the airport will have a terminus there and there will be a station to serve the existing businesses.

if you have any specific questions, feel free to email me at rockstarchitect(at)aol(dot)com

Cloud_wall

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I can scratch the St Regis off the list of solid business residents.

Rsa, the "vibe" you describe sounds just about our speed, although more nightlife would be a plus. Anyone have any thoughts on the Northern Lights Lounge?

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a better question would have been as to why you'd ever have put the St Regis on that list?

Northern Lights is another cool place that might not make it six months from now. I hope they do, but I have my doubts knowing the ownership and their management style. It's gonna be rough in the New Center for quite a while...

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are your priorities? Do you want to support a dysfunctional city? Or do you want to sleep really soundly at night?

To be able to walk to bars and restaurants, you need bars and restaurants to walk to. Unless, of course, you count the Ramp Room and the McDonald's on the boulevard as options.

Having lived in New Center (on Seward, between Second and Third), I would advise against walking around at night, unless you are in the custom of looking to get your ass kicked, or worse.

Stay in Ferndale. You can get a ton of house for the money and you won't have to spend your evenings peering through the blinds to make sure your car isn't being broken into.

Until you've lived with the constant threat of street crime, hit-or-miss trash pickup and impossibly slow police times, you'll never fully appreciate safe streets and effective city services.

Get a month-to-month apartment lease in New Center and stay there for about four or five months, especially during the summer. You'll see.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 727
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would absolutely second the suggestion to rent first in New Center. It's a really practical idea. The housing market will wait for you, I promise.

Then, when you've had your fill...buy in Islandview...Southeastern Michigan's Greatest Real Estate Value. ;)

Cloud_wall

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chef, after reading some of your comments on other threads about the St Regis, it's clear that they've been doomed for some time. Basically the news was an excuse for a bump.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Stay in Ferndale. You can get a ton of house for the money and you won't have to spend your evenings peering through the blinds to make sure your car isn't being broken into."

Your second point rings true; but your first point - meh. Homes in Ferndale vs homes in New Center - I'd take New Center any day. They're solid, architecturally significant and diverse, reasonably priced and are still located in a good, relatively solid neighborhood.

Also, with the CCS renovation of the Argonaut, there'll be quite the influx of students which will help the area get more of a 24-7 vibe. Will it have the business density of 9 and Woodward? Probably not; but it'll still be a decent neighborhood in the city.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 951
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

northern lights is my favorite bar in the area cloud. good food, great music, great owners and clientele, and often bring great acts in on the weekends. [chef; i think it's in good shape. the owner's are very business savy, they've been around for years, have quite a bit of loyal clientele, and have built up an uderground "rep" for putting on good shows.] z's villa has a great porch in the summertime. mr. mike's has some pretty good food and has a pretty old school vibe to it. fire water has some pretty good bbq. those are all the places that i've explored so far. there are some others that have some possibilities. but it definitely doesn't have the variety and quantity of downtown or midtown which is kind of a bummer.

quote:

To be able to walk to bars and restaurants, you need bars and restaurants to walk to. Unless, of course, you count the Ramp Room and the McDonald's on the boulevard as options.

ramp room closed three years ago. look at any city search or on model d for all of the other options that are in the area.

quote:

I would advise against walking around at night, unless you are in the custom of looking to get your ass kicked, or worse.

has never happened to me, my wife, or any of my neighbors (most of which have been there for over 10 years).

quote:

...you won't have to spend your evenings peering through the blinds to make sure your car isn't being broken into.

me, my wife, or any of my neighbors (most of which have been there for over 10 years) don't do this.

quote:

the constant threat of street crime, hit-or-miss trash pickup and impossibly slow police times, you'll never fully appreciate safe streets and effective city services.

our experiences thus far have been on par from when i lived in the burbs.

i'm sorry you had a bad experience. maybe it's the difference between owning a house and living in an apartment in that area. maybe it's gotten better since you've left. but your experience in new center, from what i've experienced and talked to my neighbors about is not the norm.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Rsa.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thread, good info in here.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 512
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the people who think if you or your wife have doubts, you might try renting for a little while.

In the current market, unless you find a place so great that you just can't live without it, renting for a bit in a neighborhood you are looking at doesn't have too much downside--prices aren't going to be running away from you, and you can't get as good a feel for an area any other way.

Ferndale, or Islandview, or wherever will still be there in six months.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 969
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would check out each potential place in the day, evening, and middle of the night. Also be aware of Detroit taxes...You dont want to have any surprises. Ferndale is cool but its not Detroit. If kids are in your future i would say no to the D and its public schools.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why say no if children are on the way? There's still University Prep, an amazing charter system with in the city; Cornerstone Schools; a few decent elementary schools ; the magnet high schools and great private schools (Waldorf, Friends, U of D). Yeah, all in all, DPS is pretty lacking. But, there are options; and there are middle to upper class families who use those options.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 916
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Registeredguest is correct. There are multiple education options in Detroit for families with children. A little investigation is all that's necessary to learn about the choices.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

right on about good school options existing in detroit; my siblings and i grew up here in the 80s and attended many of them. and as i posted earlier in this thread, waldorf has even recently instituted a sliding-scale tuition program, making it affordable to more people. in addition to the great options mentioned above, CCS is starting a new arts high school in new center this fall.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.