Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » The Brass Rail « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found these matches in my collection of the Brass Rail. On the inside they mention Wm Boesky Inc. Restaurant and Bar & Webster Corner Bar. I did a search and couldn't come up with much. Google earth shows an empty lot on Michigan where the Brass Rail stood. Anyone have any pics or stories to tell about these haunts?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Boesky's the restaurant that later became Darby's, in the 7/Wyoming area?

Zitro

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you can't see it well on the pic but it says it's on Dexter at Collingwood

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

William Boesky was the father of the infamous Ivan Boesky. He operated several delicatessens on 12th, Dexter, etc.

During her Wayne U. days (pre-Wayne State) my mother used to drink at the Webster Hall bar on a fake ID with friends who were GIs returned from WWII going to school on the GI Bill. Later, Wayne purchased the Webster Hall hotel and turned it into their first residence hall, and my mother lived there. Unfortunately, they also closed the bar. Webster Hall was imploded back in the '90s.

There were several Brass Rails at one time, although I don't know how they were affiliated. The last one I remember in operation was on Woodward just south of the Boulevard into the early '80s. It had a certain reputation going way back. I knew some old WWII guys who still hung out there all the time. It had that sculpture of a couple of guys drinking on the facade.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5789
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Al, I was trying to figure out where that one was on Woodward.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Boesky's became Darby's, although it was still owned by William Boesky. My mother lived down the street from the Boesky's as a kid.

The Brass Rail that this matchbook refers to was the downtown one that stretched behind Kinsel's Drug Store in a very narrow building from Michigan through to Griswold. It really was just one long bar, and had a neon sign on the Griswold alley side proclaiming it "Michigan's Longest Bar" just like the cover says. My grandfather used to drink there when he came downtown. It was there into the '70s.

There was also a Brass Rail on Adams by Grand Circus Park that had "exotics" (i.e. strippers) behind the bar. It had a blacker clientele.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wooden Indian and the ornate wooden doorway from the Adams location is now at Kruse & Muers in Rochester. I think.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wsu/vmc

Brass Rail sign just below the E in "niture".

Zitro

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kool pic Horn!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Third Brass Rail was located on the West side of Woodward, just South of The Blvd.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworldcity is correct. Bill Kruse, by the way, is a great guy and has some wonderful restaurants, if you're ever out in the Rochester area.

This is from the website of the Kruse and Muer on Main restaurant: "Kruse & Muer on Main, situated in the heart of downtown Rochester, opened in February of 1990 and displays in its entrance way a distinctive ten foot wooden carving of two Englishmen, relocated from the historic Brass Rail restaurant in Detroit."

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Brass Rail in downtown Port Huron that's been there since the 1930s, I believe. The own, Helen Davidson, died a few years ago. Her husband, I believe, founded the place. Dunno there is any relation. It's got an elaborate wood carved bar, leather walls, etc.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Boesky's on the service of the Lodge, old Detroit northwestern highway near Greenfield. I used to go there in the 1960's full bar and great food, Sweet and Sour cabbages to die for.
Darby's was at Seven Mile near Wyoming.

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Brass Rail in Toronto (Strip Club ) Downtown - Younge St, I believe.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.