Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Work at the Free Press Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed some glass trucks parked in front of the Free Press Building on Lafayette and some workers going in and out. Does anybody have an idea of what's going on there? I imagine it is probably to just fix some broken windows in the back of the building, but a couple of weeks ago, I saw some men putting up for lease signs up around the front of the building.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was mentioned here a couple weeks ago that somebody, I think from Florida, purchased the building. Since then they've been doing a little sprucing up of the lower floor in an effort to get some tennants.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I inquired about offices there because I love the building so much. They have scraped away all the super bowl decals from the windows and cleaned out a couple dumpsters worth of debris from the ground floor. It's amazing how much better it looks now that it's out of Farbman's hands. The plan is to try to rent the ground floor out to restaurants/nightclubs and rent the first two floors out for offices within the next 3-6 months. They plan to mothball the rest of the building.

They let me look around inside and I noticed that several of the Roy Gamble paintings are missing from the lobby area.

I was really worried about the condition of the upper floors (a federal marshall I talked to said he was taking a smoke break and watched the police round up a dozen or more people who'd apparently been squatting inside) plus, the scrapping activity was obvious. but the head construction guy told me the building is still in pretty good shape.

Heedus

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Wood. You're right; it is a beautiful building in an area of town that is getting a lot of positive improvement (Fort-Shelby) with hopefully even more to come in the next couple of years(old MGM and maybe, just maybe the Lafayette Building).

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 778
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wood, could you contact me at rjlj @ hotmail.com

Thanks

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"
They let me look around inside and I noticed that several of the Roy Gamble paintings are missing from the lobby area.
"

SUNUVABIOTCH! I begged the foreman on three occasions to let me in there to look around and he said no. How'd you get in?! Sooooo jealous!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! Great to hear this is moving forward, and that they hope to do more than just simply do the first floor and leave the rest of the building to rot above. Sounds like this Florida group is really committed to making this happen, and their willingness to seal up the upper floors makes a good case that they're going to try to weather the storm of Detroit's (and the world's) economic nightmare. It is one of Detroit's more unique commercial structures.

Attention City of Detroit and Lafayette Naysayers:
Someone else is doing more or less what we've suggested for the Lafayette Building. Take note.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Buster, (that sounds funny)

Are you coming to any of the coalition meetings, etc. on saving the Lafayette?

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rawk, I was not aware there was such a coalition for the Lafayette. What is this group planning?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4390
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good info, Wood. That sounds promising. I'm surprised that they want to go forward with getting office tenants. I might start working on converting the upper floors to apartment space so that they can hit the market in a couple years. Adding residents would increase the value of the retail space. But, getting a couple tenants could help cash flow issues. I wish them luck, and congratulate their desire to preserve one of our great old buildings.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5933
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The composing room at the Detroit News building has the Roy Gamble portrait of Ben Franklin: Printer. Ben watches me work all day.

btw, it's in terrible shape. Very smoke damaged, and the company will not buck up to fix it. We haven't got the dough (grossly underpaid printers work there).

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldred,
Does the News building have a composing room? I thought all that stuff was done digitally and printed out in suburbia?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4172
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing set in stone, but it explains the activity that everyone's been seeing in the building:

quote:

Freep building eyed for film jobs

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The new owners of the former Free Press building are looking to convert the abandoned newspaper offices into a production studio that will tap into the state's burgeoning film industry.

Go to the Web site of Motor City Film Works and the new company lists its address as 321 W. Lafayette Blvd. and displays an image of the old Free Press building, which has been empty for several years.

"We intend to turn the former printing press area into a sound stage. That's 80,000-square-feet of space," said Richard Gerber, 46, of Troy, who owns a technology firm called Intelegen Inc.

Gerber said he's formed a venture partnership with the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., real estate company that bought the Free Press building in December.

Owner Lynn Kassotis said last week an announcement is likely in a few months. She could not be reached late Monday.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5943
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Rawk. We're on the fourth floor.

Heedus

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope that California's recent announcement doesn't deter any of these plans...

These tax incentives may not be perfect, but I am very excited about the possibility of having two abandoned buildings (Free Press and old MGM) being redeveloped in a burgeoning part of downtown. I mean, who would have thought two months ago that we might see these buildings get some much needed TLC in this awful economy?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a part of downtown that was ignored for so many years.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.