Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » DDOT and SMART to Merge! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Cockrel just made this announcement during the State of the City Address....

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna start looking for those 1/4 full SMART & DDOT Woodward buses, thats a new one for me.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about damn time!! Hopefully they creat some more efficient regional routes and eliminate many of the double and triple serviced areas.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he mention a new name or was it just that "they're going to merge". This is exciting though.

Russix, are yousaying that the buses aren't full? Quite the contrary...of all the 450 Woodwards I've been on, 100% were full.

Russix

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover, I'm saying they are full.

Detroitstar, I think SMART would take over the Limited services from DDOT. The idea has been floating around that SMART would operate only limited stops in the city but anyone can get on and off at the stops. This would take some of the load of DDOT and speed up SMART. Kinda BRT-ish.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5247
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at the risk of buzzkilling - he said they were starting talks about merging

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the largest oak was once an acorn.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5248
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very true, and that's part of what the Mayor tried to get across tonight.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those with short memories, we've been down this road before:

http://www.detroittransithisto ry.info/DDOT/DDOTsuburbanroute s-1994.html

It didn't work out very well. Lasted only 9 months in fact. It ended up exacerbating city-suburban tensions and starting a "bus war" of competition between the two agencies that lasted for a few years.

Not saying this can't work, or that it shouldn't be tried. In fact I think it's the most sensible way to deal with the area's transit needs. But we need to heed and learn from the lessons of history, lest we doom ourselves to repeat them.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4099
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is kind of a given, and the area has been heading in that direction for quite a few months, now, with the Detroit Regional Mass Transit plan. There were only two options, keep the existing systems seperate but overseen by an umbrella organization, or merge the two creating the new organization.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5249
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you're trying to argue that merging two redundant systems is going to cost more instead of less?

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not at all sure what he's saying. But there isn't a major transit system in the country that supports itself (or in the world, for that matter). Transit is a public service, like paved roads or garbage pickup.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lansing area, with its Capital Area Transportation Authority, has the most reliable and efficient bus system that I have ever encountered. The buses are clean, almost always on time according to their schedule, suitable for the visually impaired or physically handicapped, etc. Furthermore, one can ride the bus to nearly any suburban location or community in the region for many miles.

And the icing on the cake is that fares are low, and there are machines that print cards of bus fare or "credit" as a substitution for not getting change back.

Young_detroiter

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The People Mover, regional bus routes, and any future commuter, light-rail systems should be headed by one entity, one authority. Instead of squabbling over municipal identities and power, our politicians should move this region forward together. Let us share the burdens and share the beauties of what is (Metro) Detroit.

Young_detroiter

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

If a small state like Rhode Island can sustain itself and prosper, technically the Tri-Counties (Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties) could support themselves, having a third of Michigan's population and wealth of the OC.

Nevertheless, I would like to see better transit other than Greyhound to move people, particularly students from Metro Detroit to the northern and western institutions including: U of M, Grand Valley, Central, MSU, etc. and vice versa.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone can write a post like Trainman, all it takes are a few keywords and an on-line random paragraph generator:

NO, the truth is that written accords are in place that do not protect the $100 Million per year that SMART and DDOT get from fuel tax money. How do you think Livonia got away with slashing bus service to Wal-Mart?

You see, the very purpose of a merger is to replace state money with county money unless Honda accords are secured first.

Mass transit is still among the state's that Michigan's present lawmakers pay for. Unless they get their way, there will be NO funding cut's for SMART and DDOT.

Estate tax refunds are a very viable mean's of fueling SMART and DDOT and there are no refund's to do this. The question is do we not?

Do we want to leave work alone? Or, do we want to see more of Livonia's? Maybe we want mass transit worker's getting taxed higher in the county of Wayne exclusively? Do you people know best that all 83 counties are the same, they collect taxes? There is no evidence the NEW regional agreement will result in more bus service reductions and even train service cuts in the future, if we don’t all shop at Wal-Mart to control costs and protect job growth and competitiveness in Michigan.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey mikeg, where online did you find that Trainman-style random paragraph generator? I have a six page creative writing essay due tomorrow.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

there are machines that print cards of bus fare or "credit" as a substitution for not getting change back.

DDOT did this for a while. Then they abolished it last November to try to force more people to buy passes instead of paying cash. The result is that people just put in their two bucks and waste the fifty cents, and then complain to the bus driver that they can't get change cards anymore.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think DDOT needs to speed up,if they merge, ddot needs to be more like smart and go more places and be more on time.lol

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youngdetroiter,I belive that both Great Lakes and Indian Trails bus co. have a metro airport to K-zoo,Lansing and Ann Arbor run.They also go up to the UP.
So it looks like we have put behind "us" the idea of a regional transit authority being a plot to steal one of Detroits gems?Only took 30 years.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 738
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suburbanites, be prepared to pay big money if SMART and DDOT merge. This will cost many hundreds of oollars more per year just to keep what we have.

Russix

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^"I think DDOT needs to speed up,if they merge, ddot needs to be more like smart and go more places and be more on time.lol"

They have recently started enforcing GPS tracking on DDOT, drivers who used to go with the flow of traffic now purposely hit every red light not to get ahead. I rather show up 5 min early then watch a bus driver brake at every green light for an hour.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russix, that's because many of the DDOT schedules call for unnecessarily long trips, which I suppose is because there used to be more traffic on City streets to slow the buses down, plus more bus passengers (so the stops take longer).

DDOT really ought to time-study the routes and allow the trips to be sped up where feasible. In the meantime, though, I want the buses to keep to their time points; I hate to show up at 10:55 for the 11:00 bus and it's already gone by. Predictability is absolutely the key to running a system people can use.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The latest from Crain's on the DDOT-SMART merger:

Transit unions to sue: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/S hea

Merger catches transit advocates by surprise:
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20090215/SUB01/30215995 9/1069

Second link might be premium, but the first one isn't.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 492
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one time I may ever say that unions are getting in the way of progress. I understand why they want to be part of the talks and would love for them to be a part of it, but why a lawsuit? I don't think bus drivers need worry about the merger and the light rail. If anything, there would be no job cuts because some routes would be running every 10-20 minutes and therefore need more buses, and some bus drivers would have priority over being hired as a train driver.

(Message edited by dtowncitylover on February 16, 2009)

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treehouse wars, Dtown.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The latest on the DDOT-SMART saga:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/s hea

(Some Ambassador Bridge-DRIC stuff on there, too)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out. This is in the Grand Rapids area. Can you even imagine this happening in SE Michigan?

http://gaineschartertwp.blogsp ot.com/2008/09/fishers-station -charrette.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.