Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Jobless, facing eviction, a Detroiter checks out « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In his despairing leap from his downtown 16th-floor apartment window two weeks ago, Timothy H. Regan, who once worked in finance and human resources for General Motors, ended his life in the shadow of the Renaissance Center."

"When a 36th District Court officer opened the apartment door to evict the former clerk on that frigid Jan. 29 morning, he found the living room occupied only by an empty reclining chair and an open window."

"The court officer, Cieve Turner, didn't wonder about the window, which had been laboriously unscrewed. He and three other employees closed it, then cleared out the clothing from a walk-in closet in the $956-a-month apartment. As they left the building, they heard sirens."

"Why did he have to put that on my conscience?" Turner wondered later.

"Regan's last act, in its suddenness and horror, stamped an exclamation point on a life that might otherwise have ended in an ellipsis, trailing off inexorably in the almost three years since he lost his job. He left behind no wife, no children, no debts, no note or final phone call to either of his two older sisters or his friends. His Detroit friends believed he was moving back to Marine City, his hometown, and gratefully accepted his possessions. On the morning of his death, he even helped move his treadmill to a neighbor's apartment."

I met Tim 20 years ago when I briefly worked at the GM Tech Center as a contract employee. He was a pleasant guy, who despite his disability. seemed to always be walking around the building more than most with his gimpy legs and rocking gait.

Detroiter checks out

I have to think that his condition worsened as he aged, it must have been stressful on his hip joints. Why he burned through his savings and severance, and apparently did not try to apply for SSI or some kind of assistance, including help from his family and friends is mystifying.

It is one thing to be full of pride and enjoy one's independence, but time and money was eventually going to run out. I guess that he decided to play the string out until its end, how sad.

RIP Tim....

(Message edited by Flanders_field on February 16, 2009)

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 733
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad and unfortunately this story is probably repeating itself more and more.

He was the human face of the problems Detroit and now the nation is going through.

RIP, Tim.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4476
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's why he comitted suicide. Loss of American jobs means a loss of your life! That man who jump out the window is the one of preview for the next Great Depression is coming soon in the near future.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, hes not the first. They have had a few incidents with men who lost their jobs that in turn take the family with them. I think there were 2 reports of this in California.....his wife, the 3 kids and one took his pets out with the family.........so sad.. Jane

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9002
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one AT Ford World Headquarters within the past eighteen months.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9003
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was actually almost two years ago...March of 2007. Boy has the time flown.

Not at the Headquarters, either, at a building identified as the Regent Court.

But Ford was way ahead of the curve on this...but it was kept very quiet.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3324
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredibly sad stories, these folks that feel compelled to commit such an act.

People need to put things in perspective and view adversity as something to overcome.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, who said the guy was losing his job?

Ford kept his personal life quiet?
No conspiracy there.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What to do when society has taught us what type of job we have is what defines us while simultaneously the nouveau solution by the MBAs is to fix any corporate crisis by offering up peoples' jobs for sacrifice by the thousands? Maybe instead of asking young kids what do you want to do when you grow up we need to start phrasing it as what type of person do you want to be?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the only tool you have is a train, everything looks like a rail.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3326
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "That is the future, unless people like Danny wake up and support my cause to make Lansing pay for SMART."

"SMART" funding is why Michigan is like it is? Michigan is like it is because of labor unions and idiotic trade agreements. No auto related business is going to move it's facility here and fight with the UAW. Mom and Pop shops are dropping like flies due to Chinese imports, outsourcing and loss of local auto related work due to the downturn in auto sales/production.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 565
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...society has taught us what type of job we have is what defines us...Maybe instead of asking young kids what do you want to do when you grow up we need to start phrasing it as what type of person do you want to be?

What an excellent thought! I love it.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A member of my H.S. graduating class (1978)killed himself two weeks ago today. Lost his job, then his house and was currently being evicted from his apartment. No wife, no kids, yet still a tragedy. I hadn't seen him in 10 years, but it was still a shock to hear this news. He was a tool & die maker that couldn't find work. Very sad for his family.

Blt
Username: Blt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALIGHT TRAINMAN! Glad to see you seize the opportunity to hi-jack a thread dedicated to the memory of someone who probably needed a little love.

Have a good life.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have a one track mind.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 724
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice one Trainman. Try taking that crap to a thread NOT dedicated to a human's life.

Danny

Post Number: 4479
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

I'm unemployed, how can pay higher taxes if I don't have a job?

Danny

Post Number: 4480
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

I'm going to VOTE yes on SMART bus millage 2010. and a lot of people will too. A NO vote will make SMART bus system disappear.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a man finds himself in dispair, unemployed, unable to pay his taxes and he throws himself in front of a train, does the death tax get offset by the tax rebate on the taxes that he never paid under the new Democratic spending bill?

or is there just a mess for trainman to clean up?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just think it is very said that our government is trying to raise money for new commuter rail and streetcars when people are out of work.

There is no evidence that raising mass transit taxes will bring job growth or more federal transit grants to southeast Michigan at this time.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the gloom and doom, no hope of a recovery and the fearmongering rhetoric lately from Obama, what do you expect.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

The world does not revolve around your obsession. Please try to have some respect - for the subject matter, if nothing else - and talk about what the OP posted about. Plenty of other places to spam about the one thing you seem able to talk about.

O.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"With all the gloom and doom, no hope of a recovery and the fearmongering rhetoric lately from Obama, what do you expect."

Would you prefer "the foundations of economy are sound" two days before a wall street collapse like the Republicans offered? I'd rather have the truth and deal with it accordingly.

Sorry for the hi-jack. I couldn't resist.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that since most of us didn't even know the man, it's a bit inappropriate for us to theorize what was going on in this troubled soul's mind. Not to mention pointless, since he's not here to answer to any of you.

I think the best we can do here is send condolences to his loved ones.

Trainman

Post Number: 751
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter

You are right, but it just makes me so mad that people just don't care about others.

It is very wrong for our state to fund new rail along Woodward Ave after slashing community transit money from the handicapped, elderly and the low income. And the mult-billion dollar freeway plans are still not back of the shelf where they belong also.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very right for our state to fund new rail along Woodward Ave. Keep slashing community transit money from the handicapped, elderly and the low income.

Fire all the trainmen.

Let's keep the mult-billion dollar freeway plans right where they are.

One might suggest that this is the motor city and it is the trainmen of the world that caused this poor soul to jump.

ass transit/schmanzit....buy a car , save a life ...ride a train...just cause strife.

Eventually, if you ride the train long enough and pay enough tax dollars to the train projects , you become just like the train men....they are not like other people...they are singularly obsessed...no food, no women, no games, ...brains of oatmeal, easily molded to take one obsessive idea forward...no bathing, no shaving, no deodorant...eyes glazed over from just the dim black and white light from a PC monitor illuminating their abodes each night....the light squeel of the hamster wheel just a distant memory as they forgot to feed the rodent and its molted corpse lies in the corner...no longer making the sounds of the long past era of the T R A I N M A N

AHHHHHH!

Trainman

Post Number: 752
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia

Thanks for the post.

A recent study showed that 3 our every 5 railroad workers has personality disorder which was disputed.

But, who really knows?

Maybe there is some truth to this?

It must be the PC monitors at work and at home.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Tim from when we used to work in the same building at the GM Tech Center back in the early 1980s. He worked in finance and I was in engineering and we were often in the same meetings together. Tim was always friendly and talkative when we crossed paths in the hall, but I never got to really know him closely and when GM went through the big reorganization in 1985 we ended up in different groups. RIP, Tim.

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that a lot of people attended Tim's funeral in Marine City - and there was a nice turnout last Wednesday for a gathering upstairs at the Detroit Beer Co. It was a mix of his relatives from around Marine City, and friends from the Millender Apts, Old Shileilagh, Detroit Beer Co, and elsewhere. Rest peacefully, Tim.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.