Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » America's Emptiest Cities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3799
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you guys PURPOSELY neglected to post this Forbes list.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real- estate/article/106587/America's-Emptiest-Cities

The good news is we're not #1. :-)

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meh. Forbes.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Vegas was just hit by recent forclosures while Detroit, as we all know, vacancy has been ongoing for the last 50 yrs. They state that Vegas still retains 2,000,000 residents.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I see from Forbes these days is lists. Does the magazine even write stories anymore?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5265
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More interesting was the link off that page to a list of the counties in the country with the highest property taxes. Almost all were in New York and New Jersey.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/ 23/taxes-homes-property-forbes life-cx_mw_0123realestate_slid e_2.html?partner=yahoo

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one cares about Forbes lists. I am convinced the writer that comes up with these lived in Detroit, was miserable, worked in the auto industry and go laid off, home was foreclosed and got dumped. There is no other reason they shit on Detroit so much. It seems as if they just come up with lists so Detroit comes out on top. It's no rainbow palace here but damn... wonder why it's one of the most "miserable", because people keep pointing out how "bad it is"

Sounds like a simple recipe, keep talking trash in the media and the mentality will stay where it is, never mind what really goes on IN the city. Fuck Forbes :-D That's how I really feel about it LOL.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

America's Emptiest Cities
by Zack O'Malley Greenburg

Zack "O'Malley" Greenburg that says it all!

I might have to agree with you Vision but less colorful wording :-)

(Message edited by purpleheart on February 15, 2009)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has the best mass transit system in the entire World. It's called the car.

But, that will likely change as 70 to 80 percent of the voters in recent polls suggest that we pay more for mass transit. This includes NEW county sales taxes for a regional transit authority to merge SMART and DDOT.

I'm in the minority and I admit this. I think it is our industries that should pay for our transportation needs. If my job can't pay for my car or bus or train then really now, what is the purpose?

Many workers in southeast Michigan have no benefits and moke less then $10 per hour. Yet, we are now asked to buy new streetcars and trains. If this is what y'all want then go for it. I just hope that I can keep my job so I can afford to pay my Wayne County taxes in the form of property or NEW Sales as voted on.

Sure, go for the nice Detroit to Ann Arbor train and have lots of fun. That's what I plan on doing.

See y'all on the train to Ann Arbor to have lots of fun at the art fair, restaurants, rock concerts, coffee shops and many other nice places.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.