Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Globe Trading Co. development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone hear about the proposal to develop the old Globe Trading Co. warehouses (aka Detroit Dry Dock) on Atwater? Seems like that plan was announced two or three years ago, before the real estate and economic collapses.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 684
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbors are the ones who have first dibs on it!

The currently own the Grienell Place lofts in Corktown. .

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 508
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope this goes through. I think the idea was it would serve as a welcome center for the Tri-Centennial state park located just across Atwater, and it was also to serve as some kind of waterfront museum/display, and have exhibits up about the Detroit Drydock Company and industry along the river. Plus, the view from the upper floors will be a great one of the riverfront.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was doing some research on this building for my Web site and holy crow, it's history is amazing.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

divulge.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a young dude named henry worked there, got into autos later. apprenticed under kirby the ship builder.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford, Kirby and Edison, too.
It was the Mecca of Great Lakes steamships.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.