Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Who Else Knows Friends of CCK or KK? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am reluctant to toss this out as the one I am thinking of is so quick to intimidate and file a lawsuit. Ah, but why not. I know a Detroit business man who has been a long term friend of CCK and wanted to be in with her son, but never could seem to make it work. Definitely his friendship with CCK has had all the appearances of helping. He owns an optical company, a consulting firm and a laboratory data service company. Business operations run about as straight and true as a corkscrew. I know when it comes to paying their local, county, state, and federal taxes the outstanding bill has come to over $650,000. They use the whole minority card to the hilt to get work and opportunities, but have a terrible history of paying thier subcontractors, etc. I know that at one point the county taped a foreclosure notice on their building door (it is owned by his son) for about $19,000 in back taxes. But nothing happens.... Of course its rumored that he has a close friendship with the county executive staff. He is involved with the land bank and thought that he could pull all the consulting work towards his environmental firm before the obvious conflict of interest shut that down (duh....).

And he filed to become a federally disadvantaged business even though he reported to be a millionaire. When that didn't work they tried to do it under his son's name, but that did not work either (Feds too smart..). Now he has another firm set up with a female employee that fronts for him so he can go and get work as a woman owned business and also as a federally disadvantaged business.

This is from a self-described childhood friend of Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick. The observation that I would make is that the Kilpatrick family and some of their friends have taken their status as a minority not for the opportunity to make headway in business as a successful employer and to create more diversity in the business climate. No, it is to take advantage of the system and to get theirs.... To get their "cut" by whatever means they can get away with. It is so distasteful and it cheapens and degrades programs aimed at trying to level the playing field.

Its a sad story, but true. I am just one person and its a big city. I know others must know of similar situations and relationships. It would be interesting to know what is out there.

Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, but then I think of people like Cheney and Haliburton. Or how much stock the Bush family owns in companies like Exxon Mobil. Might just explain who gasoline at $4 a gallon is not so bad....

Makes people that I know look like amateurs...

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 968
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have worked for two companies that misused the minority owned business classification, but I didn't squawk because I don't believe it should exist in the first place (but I don't care to start a debate about it either). However, if you think something illegal is taking place, I would suggest you do your civic duty:

http://detroit.fbi.gov/complai n.htm

Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I have no desire to discuss the issue of whether these are good programs or not. I understand the intent, but I do not think they work very well. I would state for the record that I am not in support of the programs of this type.

In the situation noted above the liens have been filed, IRS has pursued them, attempted to collect funds from their clients directly and firms have sued and received court orders to take money from their accounts. Its no secret.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brownfieldguy...

The bottom line here is that the Kwami family, Mom and Pops, Monica Conyers and others live by a very simple and straight forward creed.....

"Whitey got his and I'm gonna get mine".....

Regards

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Whitey got his and I'm gonna get mine".....

ahh... but is this the "basic white people" or is it higher grade white people?

THAT is the question...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.