Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Question about Dave Bing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 899
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Dave Bing said he was going to run for Mayor, didn't he have to move from the suburbs to Detroit to establish residency? Would someone please clarify this for me?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing is ready to run for mayor
By Rochelle Riley - Free Press Columnist
September 19, 2008

Saying that it is time for someone "with a clean, fresh outlook" to lead the city, Detroit businessman Dave Bing confirmed to the Free Press on Thursday that he definitely is running for mayor.

"I've made my decision," Bing said in an exclusive interview two months after the Free Press first revealed he was considering a run.

Bing plans to participate in the Feb. 24 special primary, where he will face former City Council President Ken Cockrel, who was sworn in as mayor Wednesday. At least a half dozen others also may run.

Bing, 64, has moved to a new residence on East Jefferson Avenue with his wife, Yvette. And he has changed his voter registration to the city where he has successfully operated the Bing Group for 28 years...... [read the rest]

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that shouldn't matter. i believe his business has always been located in the city while other business fled. at the same time, you can't blame the ones who fled for leaving either.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Bing a safe bet to make the final two?

Initially I thought he would be a lock, but now I'm starting to wonder.

Maybe I'm missing someone, but it seems like it's down to Bing, Hendricks and Cockrel.

(Message edited by rjk on February 14, 2009)

Buyamerican

Post Number: 900
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for answering my question. The reason I asked it was because of Bings campaign ad run on television states that "he refused to leave the City". Obviously that's not true.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He refused to leave the city" is a reference to his business. He left his hometown of Washington DC and eventually settled in Detroit near 7 and Greenfield after he was drafted by the Pistons. He has since moved several times, most recently to the East Jefferson address.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 723
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was referring to his place of business. But the statement was Conveniently vague. His biggest hurdle in his campaign is a perception that he is a carpet bagger.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 902
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^I agree, very vague, very misleading to those who are not aware.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing might make a great mayor, who knows? But he has to be the most unusual mayoral candidate in Detroit history in that he hadn't lived in the city in 30 years, and he had to move in to a condo to run. Anyone want to bet whether he'll stay or leave if he loses? He hasn't shut down the Franklin abode.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing might be the change Detroit needs. A true outsider. But Detroit doesn't take kindly to outsiders. I'd like to think he could get things shaking with his business background and connections. But in this economy, could he make anything happen?
I'm inclined to give him my support as a best of what's out there option, but I would not be disappointed - and certainly not surprised - if he doesn't finish in the top two.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.