Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Seeking advice on things to do in detroit tomorrow « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm from NYC, been out here a little over 2 years, so I'm a little underinformed about the hidden gems scattered throughout the city. With that in mind, I would really appreciate some "local" advice on "must see" things to see and do in the city tomorrow. My wife and I will be staying at the Omni (where we got married), having dinner at Giovanni's and going to the DSO at 8:30. Other than that, we're basically open for anything ... any ideas that would add to the pleasure of our wonderful day would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have lunch in Eastern Market and visit the Belle Ilse Conservatory.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between Belle Isle and Eastern Market, stop by City Sports Center (Lafayette and Mt. Elliot) and check out the Hockey in the Hood tournament. Inner-city youth programs, of varying skill levels, from around the country (and Canada) will be here for the annual tourney, hosted by Detroit.

Hey, if it's on your way......

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that seriously the name of it? hockey in the hood?!? i HAVE to check that out. Thanks.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd call Inside Detroit and see if they have a scheduled tour tomorrow of the city. It's saturday, so they probably do, or maybe could work something out for you. I saw one of their nifty bike-taxi-doohickeys outside of my window the other day.

Call them at 313.268.6562.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe D'Mongos on Griswold just north of Grand River always impresses the outtatowners. Good for late night drinks on Fri & Sat only.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 955
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.detroit.cityvisitorsguide. com/attractions.htm
www.discoverdetroittv.com/
www.visitdetroit.com/index.php /attractions-information
www.detroit.com/
http://www.google.com/search?h l=en&as_q=attractions&as_epq=d etroit&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&l r=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitese arch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as _occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=& safe=images

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scrap the Metropolitan building. That thing is wide-open.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 748
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the kiddie pool just thawed...er.... I mean opened at the MCS in the basement.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Run some red lights.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 683
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle Conservatory!! It is soooo Nice!! Maybe coffee at Au Bon Pain in Campus Martius.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try avalon or le petit zinc for coffee and treats. pizza and beer at motor city brewery, the new show at mocad that is opening tonight, d'mongos definitely, the new italian place - angelinas, russell street deli for breakfast. there is a good movie at the dft at the dia this weekend...

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are going to the Cadieux Cafe tonight to enjoy some music and Feather Bowling. That is an east side option.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 582
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second on the Cadieux Cafe suggestion. Oscar shorts are showing at the DFT. I would suggest roller derby or Torch With A Twist at Cliff Bell's, but they conflict with the DSO, and I dunno if it's your thing. You might like Brunch With Bach at the DIA on Sunday morning.

O.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a welcome center in downtown detroit. I know one of the co-owners, she's immensely fond/knowledgable about the city. It's located downtown right off of Woodward Avenue (right next to the Detroit Breakfast House). If you go there, you can find out any tours, great restaurants and fun things to do. It's definately your best bet. You can also go to their website at InsideDetroit.org

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle Conservatory, Eastern Market, lunch at Roma Cafe, and you MUST visit the Guardian Building!

Tomorrow night, Thornetta Davis is playing at Fishbone's.

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm heading to the Detroit Film Theatre tomorrow to watch the short films nominated for Academy Awards. We've done it for a couple of years now, and it's a lot of fun.

http://www.dia.org/dft/item.as p?webitemid=1724

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 709
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Detroit Derby Girls match at the Masonic Tomorrow, but from all accounts it's sold out already. Inside Detroit is doing a tour tomorrow that includes the derby bout, so they may have tickets. http://detroitderbygirls.com/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.