Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Food Mfg. History « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It Started in Detroit.......La Choy Foods? Could that be true? Someone told me that. I know they were later owned by Beatrice Foods and they had a factory on St. Aubin somewhere.

Does anyone know if they originated in Detroit?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they manufactured in Detroit until 1942 before moving to Ohio. Company History

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vlasic Pickels also started in Detroit, as did Ball Park Franks,(i.e. Hygrades)

Where are they now???

They have gone the way of Vernors, Hudson, Uniroyal...

No longer a Detroit Made Product....

Long live Fago and Better Made!!!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5738
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vlasic is in Imlay City, MI and I think Hygrade is in or near Grand Rapids

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Red Pelican still on St. Jean?

Jcole

Post Number: 5742
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Pelican is gone. Dearborn Ham bought the mustard recipe and they manufacture it under their house brand

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ma Cohen's I believe is still in Detroit. I love the creamed herring.

Is Stroh's ice cream still around? I can't believe I don't know because I'm at Trinity Lutheran church from time to time and Eastern Market. Plus I like never buy ice cream.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superior, Crunchee, New Era, Vita Boy, all good chips and I think all Detroit products... I had heard that the name Red Pelican Mustard was bought by Garden Fresh Salsa Company of Ferndale..

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody on here able to confirm the Red Pelican story? Dearborn or Garden Fresh the owners of the recipe?

Stromberg2

Jcole

Post Number: 5753
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had read on another thread on D'Yes that Dearborn had purchased the recipe, so I bought a jar of the Dearborn Sausage Hot Mustard, and it sure tastes like Red Pelican to me. Also, it's not listed on Garden Fresh website as one of their products.

From Red Pelican Thread
Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:15 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Norwalk - you're right about the mustard. Dearborn Sausage bought Red Pelican and re-branded the mustards with the Dearborn name. So, yes, we still have a locally made mustard and as far as I know, the recipes are the same as RP.

(Message edited by jcole on February 12, 2009)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7720
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh's ice cream, was purchased by Melody Farms, and then sold to Dean's Food of Dallas. They consolidated production in Illinois

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.