Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Who on City Council is Worthy of Another Term? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick poll, who do you think should be renewed for another 4 year term?

My picks are the follows:

1. Kwame Kenyatta. He seems to care about the city and has a good grasp on the issues. Also, from what I've seen lately, he is a man of integrity.

2. Sheila Cockrel. Again someone who knows issues and cares deeply about Detroit's future.

3. Alberta Tinsly-Talabi. She is my dark horse, she rarly makes headlines, and seems to just do her job.

Whats DY's thoughts?

(Message edited by detroitej72 on February 11, 2009)

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't there just be term limits?

I'm sure someone can get enough signatures to get it on the ballot.

Make it happen. 3 terms and you're out!!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd never vote for Tinsley-Talabi.

Here are my picks:

Kenyatta, Jones, and Cockrel.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Cockrel and Kenyatta, but I think they all need to go. Time for new blood.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I nominate Cub!

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S. Cockrel and K. Kenyatta are the only two I would retain.
I worry about who might replace the others.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Coleman Young Jr. or others like him. I worry about that too

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenyatta, Jones, and Cockrel.
Watson is okay sometimes.

The rest, it is unfortunate they were ever born.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenyatta, Cockrel, Watson and maybe Jones.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4108
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Cockrel and have grown to like Watson for her intelligence and support of things like mass transit and an overall knowledge of how government works, though, she can be very, very wrong when she's wrong on something.

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel, Kenyatta, TT, Jones (iffy), and Watson (iffy).

I would rather vote for the "iffy's" than deal with some of the new knit-whits that "could" win. Cockrel and Kenyatta are the only two with common sense. Watson runs hot and cold: I like how she defends Detroit but she send the message that she's a representative of BLACK Detroit and the hell with any other races/ethnicity.

What I would REALLY like to see is some representation from SW Detroit.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What I would REALLY like to see is some representation from SW Detroit."

WORD UP! It's ridiculous that we have NOBODY representin' SW. I'm hoping Tobocman or Clarke consider a run.

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you kidding me? why conyers of course. where else are we gonna get this type of comedic entertainment???

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You wouldn't find it comedic entertainment if you lived in the city.

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so you know me personally rhymes? lol

Wallins
Username: Wallins

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S.Cockrel, K.Kenyatta and B.Jones are the only ones I will vote for. I supported Watson in the past,but she has made it clear,she is for Blacks only and that leaves me out,in spite of my living and working in Detroit for forty five years.
Monica Conyers needs to be locked up and the rest of the bunch are useless.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why is nobobody representing Southwest Detroit?

I think its about time Detroit has a council-person of Latino Decent representing their interests...

Folks like Blksoul_x may disagree, but Detroit needs to keep Latino's interests in mind.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we had a WARD system, we'd have a councilman from SW Detroit. Just sayin'...

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenyatta, Watson, Cockrel...

Hopefully the rest of them are indicted.

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the story on Tinsley-Talabi and Brenda Jones? I don't know much about them.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not one of them. They all either need to:

a) sent to a mental institution (MC)
b) sent to prison (MC,?,?)
c) given thanks, a gold watch and sent away
(KC (he'll be back in May), SC, JW, ATT, KK)
d) sent away (BRC, BJ, MR)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Le gislative/CityCouncil/Members/ Mahaffey/Mahaffey_content.htm

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add to this question....if Ken Cockrel doesnt make it to the Mayorality after the primary or general, should he be voted back on the council as well?

How does this work in your selections of who should be on council....?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watson makes some great points about the Cobo deal and why she voted for holding it up in the Freep op-ed. She is a very community-minded politician and comes off as someone who really cares about/fights for what is best for everyone in the city. Remember she has been one of the point people for enhancing mass transit and shutting down the incinerator. I think things like that get lost behind some of her racial views.

Expand Cobo, but with the right vision
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090212/OPINION05/90212023

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanne Watson is probably the clearest thinking person on the Council. I like Kenyatta as well he seems as though he really studies the issues.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>I think its about time Detroit has a council-person of Latino Decent representing their interests...<<

If we were to go to a ward system, there would be a cross-section of different ethnicities elected to the council. I'm all for it.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAnn Watson seems to not be aware on how the representative process works. She complains that the Council was not consulted on the deal; whereas the folks in Lansing, Oakland and Macomb County were.

The reason her reasoning is flawed: according to the Charter the Executive Branch has the power and the duty to make deals on behalf of the City. The Executive branch presents the deal and the Legislative branch votes.

That is the process. To seem shocked or outraged that Cockrell somehow tried to pull a fast one demonstrates either a naked political move or a pathological lack of understanding how the Legislative process works.

In fact, when MonCon was in Israel, JoAnn was acting as Council President. At that time she was quoted as saying about the Cobo Deal, "we are all smiles, full steam ahead."

Now, for being clear headed, I am loath to characterize her in those terms. You can differ if you desire.

I see her comments as some magician's trick of directing your attention to one thing while the real action is going on somewhere else.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the link mentioned above: JoAnn's About Face.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090115/M ETRO/901150451/1409/METRO

quote:

Councilwoman JoAnn Watson said the council will spend the coming days reviewing the plan and possibly "tweaking" it, although she wouldn't specify what that might mean.

She did say she is "all smiles and full steam ahead."

"We need a major convention center," Watson said. "It's time for us to be a big city again."

So, according to what JoAnn Watson said, it sounds that her tweaks didn't make the cut, hence, we need to find out which one of her relatives were left out in the cold.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.