Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Stanley Cup @ Jack Adams Arena 2/14/09 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stanley Cup and the Jack Adams Trophy (Coach of the Year Award) will be on display at Jack Adams Ice Arena this Saturday, Feb. 14, 2009 from 11am to 3pm as part of the Hockey In The Hood V tournament.

http://www.detroithockey.org/h ockey-blog.htm

There is no charge, and no long line to wait in. Not to mention, there is some good hockey going on.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack Adams is located in the Adams-Butzel Recreation Center at 10500 Lyndon (btw. Meyers and Wyoming). Lyndon is the half mile road btw. Fenkell and Schoolcraft.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see the folks at Jack Adams Arena keeping up the good work. I have good memories of playing there way back when the place was new (notwithstanding that we eastside kids got our butts kicked).

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um...there are long lines anywhere the Stanley Cup goes...

But seriously, this is an awesome event. This will be my 3rd Hockey in the Hood experience. It is more well organized and attended each year!

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work over there in the early 70's as a rink guard when the place was brand new. Used to see Gordie Howe and Jack Adams wife came over there once too.
They had great ice and it was a great facility. Nice place to see hockey played.

Olaim
Username: Olaim

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Pinehurst, it deadended directly into Butzel Park. I remember skating at the outdoor rink for a couple years. Then in 1971 Jack Adams was open, it was amazing. I thought it was the biggest - best arena in the world. At 9 years oldI just could not figure out why none of my neighbors were to excited at the time. It great to see Hockey going strong in NW Detroit.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great event. Games will also be played at City Sports on Lafayette (across from King High)

The graduation rate for kids involved in the program is above 90%. Many of the coaches, including myself, grew up there as kids. Kids I once coached are now volunteering as well.

The closest thing resembling a line will be a bunch of kids with their parents taking pictures of them with the cup. The guy with the white gloves is there to make sure no one tries to sit in it.

In 2002, the cup was @ Jack Adams during the finals. About 50 people showed up in a four hour span.

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! If I was in town, I would definitely be going to check this out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.