Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit - State of the City « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Freep:
"Detroit Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr.’s State of the City address tonight will focus on the need for integrity in city government and shared sacrifice to balance the budget, according to a summary of the speech’s highlights from his office.

The summary says Cockrel also will make announcements on Cobo Center, light rail, workforce training and the city’s 311 program."

If he does not mention an all out assault on crime, then he ain't talking about nothing.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/ has a live stream, and recap.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is not a charismatic speaker, but I think he covered most bases well.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5245
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked the parallels he drew, using the Opera House and Hazen Pingree. By telling bits of the city's story that way more people will get interested and engaged. Teaching the history and telling the stories are a path to getting people to understand more and care about things.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he did a fine job. I thought it was interesting to note the drop in copper theft merely on the fact that the police have begun enforcing and going after scrappers.

Jmil

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He did a very good job. It was obvious he was nervous, but he got the job done. He made his case to remain Mayor. Detroiters face a tough decision ahead. Let the hard work begin.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5246
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to know who's the b@st@rd who scrapped over $400,000 in one year. That really takes balls. To me it seems like it would have had to be a businessman, not the stereotypical average scavenger.

I'll bet DTE and AT&T are happier.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3288
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: " I thought it was interesting to note the drop in copper theft merely on the fact that the police"

The price has dropped on copper.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was pleased with his speech. He was upbeat and charismatic.

He did well.

Wgardner
Username: Wgardner

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was pleased with his address. Now we need to see this "ACTION" sooner then later.....

But as with any real change to actually take place, the people have take it seriously.

Jmil

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Bing in a free fall, looks like Hendrix vs. Cockrel. Let's get ready to rumble. May Detroit win.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 947
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much better than last years!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't overwhelmed but not put off. At least he was realistic with the city's budget deficit, he didn't promise things he can't fulfill.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, Tony Soave has made million's scrapping this city.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

talk is cheap!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have the text of the speech?

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
http://download.gannett.edgesu ite.net/detnews/2009/pdf/0211S tate_of_the_City.pdf

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9382
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think he did a fine job. I thought it was interesting to note the drop in copper theft merely on the fact that the police have begun enforcing and going after scrappers.

Prices have fallen through the floor, because China isn't buying up our resources to build shit right now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.