Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Support local businesses! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are many doom and gloom threads right now bemoaning horrible things happening and businesses that are closing in detroit.

i'm not blind to the many problems we face in our city - i've lived downtown for most of my life and have been here through thick and thin.

being a realist is one thing, but dwelling on negativity is another. i'm really sad to hear about businesses having to close in this horrible economy. obviously, it is a tragedy that people (including many friends) are out of work.

but complaining, exaggerating, and spreading rumors do nothing to help and only spread feelings of despair.

for those of us who are fortunate to still have employment, a real way to help is to support the local businesses that are open so that they can make it through these rough times.

check out le petit zinc - the new french place in corktown. shop at bureau of urban living and mezzanine. pick up a crepe at good girls go to paris. buy records at peoples. take your dog to canine to five. meet a friend for lunch at mudgie's deli or at mocad's cafe. pick up a book at john king or the bookbeat. eat sushi at wasabi or french food at cliff bell's. have a drink at the bronx or motor city brewery. get a haircut at curl up and dye. support mercury bar when it reopens so that it is able to stay open.

these are only a few of the many wonderful new and old businesses and restaurants that are open and who need our support to weather these bad times.

it's time to be proactive!
Top of pageBottom of page

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.