Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Indian Village home on HGTV Feb. 10, 11 pm « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Head's-up from ModelD:

First of four local My House Is Worth What? episodes airs at 11 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 10, on HGTV cable channel.
quote:

The [1446 Seminole Street] home's owner, Michael Tyson, will be on the air. . . .

His 1911 colonial home is 6,000 square feet, has five bedrooms, three full bathrooms and two half baths. The episode looks at whether or not he should continue renovations.

Extrior photo of handsome home at link above.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW, I run past this house all the time and wish I owned it, I live on Parker Street! I will be sure to watch!

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife is addicted to HGTV, so I'll make sure she reminds ME to watch it.
Never been to Detroit so this will be refreshing after viewing umpteen thousand pictures of the Packard Plant, Fisher Body & derelict housing on the web. Don't take offense to that last statement as I do find the ruins very fascinating.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went through a HGTV addiction a couple of years back. Will definitely take a look tonight!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9369
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first run of a new episode is at 11pm? 90% of that channel is reruns of their shows, that's incredibly dumb.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting the info, Reality.

*hug*

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, thanks Reality - I'll be watching too. God, I hope they don't give him some crappy news about what it's worth. It's just a beautiful home, isn't it!

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few blocks down the street from where I grew up. Down in what my Dad calls the fancy part of Indian Village south of Kercheval. You know I'll be watching.

Real estate in that neighborhood is really struggling right now (like everyplace else in the city, I guess), so it will be interesting to see how, or if, they deal with the very harsh realities of the Detroit housing market.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I entered my EEV house for that show last summer. I figured it didn't stand a chance when I found out they picked a McMansion out in the Bloomies. Good to see they did one in the city too.
Actually, I'm glad they're not trotting around calculating how much my place is NOT worth, with three foreclosures across the street.

Gralr
Username: Gralr

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice neighborhood island, beautiful homes, outrageous taxes and utilities. $1000 and up per month just in taxes wow !

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gralr - taxes aren't that outrageous. Yeah, there are some extreme situations where people pay $12K, but those are pretty extreme homes (10,000-12,000 square feet). Other folks with 6000-8000 square foot fixer uppers are paying b/w $2 and $4K per year. Average tax load, probably around $5 - $6K per year, which is similar to Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge and other older communities. Services are pretty much comparable, too. Streets get plowed after a snow, trash gets removed on Thursday, trees get pruned, parks get mowed, schools are sub-average, police are relatively responsive.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Good to see they did one in the city too.

Two, actually, and one each in Royal Oak and Southfield . . . according to trustworthy Kelli B. Kavanaugh at ModelD.

And hey, thanks for this afternoon's e-hug, LodgeDodger!

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a House Hunters on last Friday (?) I think that was in Grosse Pointe Woods - anyways, I didn't catch the intro and they were showing the first house...and I was like, "that is Detroit"! So I ran downstairs to grab the good remote from my husband to read what the info said. And, I would have picked the first house. Only kidding....to each his own. ( - :

Eastsideal

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Property taxes are well below other neighborhoods of this type elsewhere in the country. I've owned in much less nice neighborhoods in other cities and paid more, sometimes considerably more. And they just aren't building them like this anymore, that's for sure. What the hell is it with Michigan people and tax panic? I've lived all over the U.S. and in other countries and I never heard so much griping about taxes as I hear in this area.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3891
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good show. God, that home is beautiful; the owner did a magnificent job in restoring it. The "appraisal" came in at less than he was hoping for, but he's still turned a nice piece of equity in it.

That same home in Newport, RI, would go for three mil, easy.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 574
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think he'd get the 500,000 she suggested today.

I'm thinking about 300,000 max.

It's a fantastic house. What I don't like about that show is that I suggests that we all just do improvements in preparation to sell.

He put a lot of money in the attic and basement. If those are the areas he enjoys working on then so be it.

Spend your money where you will enjoy it the most and don't worry about ever selling.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That same home in Newport, RI, . . .

You too, Ray? I also always get these cities mixed up.

;-) Point well-taken, of course.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, the focus on that show is way to much on money return on improvements. For instance, that basement space looked pretty cozy and nice, and I'll bet that he enjoys spending time there no matter what it's worth on a sales statement. As soon as I saw the segment I realized I'd been in that house as a kid. He really did a great job on that kitchen, which was an ugly wreck of '20s through '60s piecemeal "improvements" before.

As for the price though, that was a play-acting sham. $500k is well out of reach in the current market. I know houses almost as nice in the Village that have sold for more like $200k, and that after sitting on the market for months.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 889
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Seminole St. house is beautiful. An excellent restoration, especially the kitchen. The landscaping looks great too, with an inviting back yard. A turnkey dream home, even with the unrenovated bathrooms (some folks like the original look). But in today's market, it might not fetch $500k in the Grosse Pointes, much less Detroit. That price was realistic for Indian Village in 2005-06, but prices have been falling since then. Too bad, I wish it wasn't so. It would get at least $500k in the current Birmingham/Bloomfield market, but probably nowhere else.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well she mentioned it was a $300,000 kitchen. so i guess the rest of the house is only $200,000..... I guess I could get by without the kitchen part if its being sectioned off.....LOL it was a nice home. Glad IV got a feature

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.