Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Is Park Apartments Now Vacant? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Park Apartments Just off Grand Circus Park got a new facade recently. I know they recently underwent a renovation as well. However, despite the new look, lobby lights, and new parking lot improvements, I noticed the windows all appear dark black, and the parking lot is mostly empty.

Does anyone know what is going on there? Are there still residents in the building, or is this yet another loss? I did notice that the building and adjacent parking lot was recently put on the market.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Hood2643
Username: Hood2643

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live behind the Park Apartments and hardly ever see many lights on in there. Last time i looked out there appeared to be some people living there...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By black, I mean they appeared to be painted or boarded up/covered from the inside. This building was largely vacant before the big fire in 2005. I believe the fire cleared out everyone above the 10th or 11th floor, and those floors appeared to remain empty for a little while. Floors two through four were already vacant, and there were vacancies among the other five. Park Apartments is 18 stories total, with only the office occupying the ground floor.

It's owned by Milner Hotels.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people live there

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milner Park Apartments

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6130
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entrance to the Park Apartments used to be the entranceway to the former Oriental Theatre (built 1927 by Peireia & Peireia, 2,950 seats in a Pseudo-Oriental style). I'm not certain if the tower portion of the Oriental Theatre was always residential, but that is what it is today.

In 1930 the theatre name was changed to the Downtown Theatre, and by the 1940's it was called the Downtown RKO Theatre, once owned by Howard Hughes.

Strange as it may sound, the theatre was just a little too far away from the Theatre District, and it had a tough time attracting an audience.

The auditorium part of the theatre on W. Adams Ave., just west of the tower part of the building was razed in the early 1950's. The grand lobby space (within the tower) is used as storage space, and remnants of the gaudy grand lobby survive.

2 years ago the Milner folks started opening up the former Grand Lobby to Preservation Wayne's Downtown Historic Movie Palace tours, and it's been on their itinerary ever since.

The tower is indeed used as residentail property and maintained by the same folks who occupy (and refurbished) the Milner Hotel over by Harmonie Park.

The former Oriental Grand Lobby chandeliers now grace the lobby of the Redford Theatre.

I believe that 56packman has some photos of the former lobby space, but there are no good photographs of the auditorium known to exist.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you passed by these apartments, why didn't you stop in and inquire what the vacancy was?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Oriental Grand Lobby chandeliers now grace the lobby of the Redford Theatre.

NO SCHITT?! Is THAT where those came from? I was just there for "Sunset Blvd." and was looking at those chandeliers, wondering if they were original to the Redford. Seemed out of place in an old, small neighborhood theater. You are the MAN, Gistok!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.