Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » GM's Bob Lutz retiring « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5239
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

moving to senior advisor role, then retiring at end of 2009

http://jalopnik.com/5149563/bo b-lutz-to-retire-at-end-of-200 9?skyline=true&s=x

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what this means for the Chevy Volt.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He deserves a break at 77 yo if he wants it. He had the right ideas, but I'm not sure GM can use his styling expertise at this juncture when what they need to bring people back in is low cost electric or hybrid type cars.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Bob the Father of the Corvette? or am I thinking of someone else?

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

viper not corvette :-)

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian,

Lutz has a lot of experience in automotive product development, and a good sense of style and pretty good intuition for interesting cars, but he was never a stylist.

Raptor,

Zora Arkus-Duntov was the "father" of the 'Vetter. You're thinking of the Viper, as Detmsp pointed out.

O.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother worked at Chevy Engineering when Lutz was VP for Chevrolet...and my aunt was his personal secretary. They both admired him very much.

When I had a problem with a Chevy Nova back in the late 70's if memory serves...but I'm not sure...my aunt was telling Lutz about it and he had me bring it directly to the engineers at the Tech Center. He rode it my car briefly and then had it fixed for me right there.

They admitted a design flaw in the car which made it vibrate (something to do with the size of the catalytic converter). They put Olds engine mounts on it..and a 13 lb lead bar on the exhaust. Stopped the vibration...unfortunately other Nova owners weren't as lucky until the next model year.

I met him at my aunt's funeral. He spoke very highly of her and was very gracious. I wish him well in his new endeavors.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue - that is a really lovely post about him, what a nice way to remember the man.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Lutz always seems to push car designs that envoke an emotional response: Solstice, Sky etc. He likes to take risk. Once he leaves, who will be that driving force?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 915
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now he might have time to fly his jet.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs, GM probably doesn't need a driving force any longer. They (and probably Chrysler also) are now in servitude to the US Congress, not the auto buying market. To continue their existence, and keep getting government funds or fail, GM must now only please Congress and build the cars Congress wants them to build, whether there is a market for those cars or not.

From what I have read and heard, Lutz was seriously opposed to taking government funding as he understood what that meant to the future of GM.

Gralr
Username: Gralr

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with jiminnm, It is not what people want it is what we are told to want. The gov will no doubt mandate GM into a corner, and for that matter Chrysler.

Case in point, design, look at the magnificence of Detroit in the 30's it was a result of design, design, and more design, coupled with pride, and master craftsmen. Cars of the 30's , Design, Trains, most everything pride and design.

Detroit today, one picture suffices. The automakers are finally producing really nicely designed auto's and now this.

Buy your favorite old car now and keep it running, enjoy it and live in the past!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lutz is an amazing guy. He owns and flies his own Ruskie MIG jet ( which he once landed wheels up---oooops!),and is active in the YAF. Maybe he will spend more time at Willow Run in retirement. He is certainly a drawing card, the Roger Penske of the airwaves.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Buy your favorite old car now and keep it running, enjoy it and live in the past!"

Amen brother.
All these states are trying to crack down on old cars and keep them off the road. I keep asking, "what about hobbiyists who like that old iron?" My fear is that pretty soon, collector car owners will be forced to surrender their cars to the crusher. Please tell me im overreacting.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 659
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Buy your favorite old car now and keep it running, enjoy it and live in the past!"

Amen brother.
All these states are trying to crack down on old cars and keep them off the road. I keep asking, "what about hobbiyists who like that old iron?" My fear is that pretty soon, collector car owners will be forced to surrender their cars to the crusher. Please tell me im overreacting.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very few people in today's car business have the passion Mr. Lutz has for cars.

He's one-of-a-kind.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hp,

You're overreacting.

O.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your points about GM being owned by the Feds are true.
I'll never forget this quote from Bob Lutz:"The car buy decision is not a logical decision!" I didn't believe him at first. My buddy buys a car and I asked him why he bought it in order test Bobs theory out. His response was:"I don't know. I just had to have it!" My wife likes certain vehicle based on their looks alone! Safety, whats that! Another buddy is loaded, bought a used car which breaks down constantly and refuses to buy a new one out of fear! Me, I want to buy a new car with a 2.4 four cylinder engine which can handle E85! Bob is right!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.