Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Tiger Tunnel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spirit2028
Username: Spirit2028

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a video of the tunnel from the Tiger locker room to the dugout. www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnMQHk fXn_Y I know the hope is to have little league baseball and a museum but I wonder if that is finacially feasible. I would say ideally you get a minor league baseball team in here and charge $5-$10 a ticket. I realize King Caesar would have to sign off on it because of it's proximity to Comerica Park. To do that I would guess he would have to have complete control and be the one holding all the purse strings. If that doesn't work does anyone think there would be a market for sandlot baseball teams to schedule games at Tiger Stadium. I think it would be a thrill for amateur baseball players to play on this historic field. Whether you could charge the teams enough money to play and charge fans to watch them, such that you could break even let alone be profitable is certainly up for debate. I possibly could see outdoor movies on a Friday night, maybe some concerts and also renting the place for company picnics as other sources of revenue. The floor is now open for discussion ...

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It works for the Yankees and Mets in NYC. Both the Brooklyn Cyclones (Mets affiliate) and the Staten Island Yankees are money makers, and neither of them have a historic/beloved stadium like Tiger/Briggs Stadium - Navin Field.

Having said that, it would be mighty brave to start a sports franchise in the current disaster of the Detroit economy. And I would think Tiger management might be afraid that people would go to the minor league games at $10 or so a pop, and forego the much more expensive Tiger games. Particularly if the Tigers suck again.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's be real. TEAR IT DOWN! If you watch that video how can you possibly think that place can be saved now. It's disgusting and I can't believe that people can't just let go of the place.

Thats right, we need another abandoned structure in Detroit.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerrytimes...BITE ME if you can't understand the historical and emotional significance of Tiger Stadium. If you don't like it DON'T worry about it and let it go to those of us who do.

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why spend money tearing down the structure? Oh yeah, I forgot land is so coveted over in that section of town...

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I love Tiger stadium. I was against the Tigers moving to a new place and I believe that they intentionally let Tigers Stadium go downhill so they could build a new park. That being said, it's time to let go. The place has been 2/3 demolished and it needs to go. We are the only city in America that hasn't demolished a pro teams tadium that wasn't being used for anything. The city of Detroit wasted millions of dollars on 'keeping it up' (2 million a year I believe) and for what? Did you see the condition of it in that video? It's revolting that Tigers stadium looks that way. Even the Yankees are imploding their castle, I believe before the first game is played at the new stadium.

Those of you who do worry about it need to understand that this was something that shuold have been taken care of in '99 than in '09, before the place clumbled like it has. This city will never recover by leaving all these vacant deteriorating structures standing.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The remaining part of Tiger Stadium can be restored to its former glory just like the Book Cadillac. If people had your attitude about the Book, "Did you see the condition of it", it wouldn't be open and thriving today. The Conservancy Plan, which I've donated to, is very detailed as to the renovation and use. Your comment "We are the only city in America that hasn't demolished a pro teams tadium that wasn't being used for anything", is irrelevant since the only stadium older than ours is Fenway. So it doesn't matter that other cities haven't appreciated the historical and community significance of their old parks. If the City of Detroit spent 2 million/year for upkeep they got screwed as their wasn't much done.

Asa far as those of us who "worry about it" don't you lose sleep as we all contribute and there is a plan in place so those of you who don't care can eventually enjoy the old park when re-opened. Thank God the City has virtually nothing to do with its fate anymore otherwise it would be like other crumbling relics with no hope.

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did Ill-itch do with the 2 million the city paid him for the up keep of the stadium? Cause from the looks of it he didn't do a damm thing. I so hope the FBI sends in some forensic accountants to take his books apart and send mikey on a long vacation.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah (above) thats just what the city needs.... get rid of ilitch!!!!!

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Olympia Stadium was demolished in 1987.

There. We can all rejoice that the city of Detroit demolished a 'pro teams stadium that wasn't being used for anything.' Yahhhhhhhh!

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerrytimes, we all said the same thing for YEARS regarding the old Book-Cadillac, and look at it now. Anything is possible.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3265
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand the sentimental attachment, but seriously, what could possibly be done with old Tiger stadium? We have a new stadium. It's too big and costly to host lesser games there. Other than a monument and another rotting hulk, what purpose does it have now?

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the Conservancy's Plan and you'll get an answer to your question.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3267
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a google search or a trip to the library? Think that would help?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.