Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » ROAST Restaurant Review? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone been there? I've heard good things. Eh?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I went the second day it was open. It was FANTASTIC, even that early on. I'm usually a very picky diner but literally couldn't find a single thing wrong with our experience. The waitstaff is well-trained and attentive (but not overly attentive), our servings were well-timed, and, finally, the food itself was outstanding.

Do yourself a favor: splurge. It really wasn't THAT pricey, especially considering the type of experience. My wife and I both had entrees, we started with the charcutterie, both had a glass of wine, two sides between us (DEFINITELY try the brussels sprouts), and the "Beer and Pretzels" dessert (Guinness ice cream with caramel and pretzels, served in a pint glass). I also wrapped with a bourbon. With tip, I think we ended up dropping about $130. Definitely not for nightly dining, but certainly reasonable for a special occasion. Try meeting that price point at Coach or Opus One.

As an aside, Symon himself was walking around the restaurant that night and engaging his guests, including us. You'd think that someone of his stature would be, I don't know, stand-offish or something. He was very down-to-earth and genuinely concerned about his guests' experience and staff's performance. A very classy guy.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 598
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with everything Rugbyman said, I had the same feeling when I left Roast. My girlfriend also. The waitress we had seemed like she was born to do the job that's why we left a big tip, excellent service. The food, decor, and over all layout of the restaurant was excellent. I have no complaints about Roast at all. We ended up dropping about $90 for two dinners, appetizers, wine, and beers tip included. Great place to visit.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with everything Rugbyman said, I had the same feeling when I left Roast. My girlfriend also. The waitress we had seemed like she was born to do the job that's why we left a big tip, excellent service. The food, decor, and over all layout of the restaurant was excellent. I have no complaints about Roast at all. We ended up dropping about $90 for two dinners, appetizers, wine, and beers tip included. Great place to visit.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stayed at the Book in December and dined at Roast that Saturday night. Started off a bit awkward with the hostess spending more time yacking with a waiter than seating patrons. Once we got past that little glitch it was great. As with any fine restaurant, some of the servers were a bit haughty but ours was very good as well as very knowledgeable of the menu. I had Hanger Steak for the first time and it was incredible. Comes from the same area as Flank and Skirt Steak. Roast also has a good list of affordable wine by the glass. We'll definitely go again on our next trip up since we'll also stay at the Book Cadillac again. BEAUTIFUL restoration!

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been a couple times for their $5 appetizer happy hour. When you can get a 10-12 dollar gourmet appetizer for 5 bucks you can't go wrong. I hear they are experimenting with different happy hour specials to try and draw in an early evening crowd (between 5-6pm) Specials may include drinks, and special entree's.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm considering Roast for next Saturday. I was on the fence about it, but these reviews are swaying me.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeezus, you people are high rollers. If you need me, I'll be across the street at the Lafayette. :-)

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, somebody has to keep this economy going!

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 462
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was impressed. Everything very well done. Yes I expected it to be more expensive as well. One minor complaint, the seating in the center has limited back support.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also serve lunch now so if you want to go and not spend tons I would recommend lunch. $9 gets you sandwich or burger and fries...and it's not your average sandwich or burger at all. Same quality, service, etc. just with lunch prices.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall a good restaraunt.....not inexpensive by any means, but less expensive than you would think by the quality of the food and the atmosphere....

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last month I took a friend to Roast for dinner. I ordered the roasted beet salad. It was out of the ordinary for me and I found it to be perfect in its presentation, taste and combination of textures! The petit fillet (6oz.) was way beyond perfect!! The roasted brussels sprouts, again out of the ordinary for me, while a bit too oily, were delicious. The fries, seasoned with rosemary, perfect. The creme brulee, while ordinary, was delicious. All our dishes were beautifully presented.

The decor was very smart with nice carpeting and large, sleek, minimalistic floral arrangements. There was a good feeling in the room and the view out the window to Washington Blvd. gave me an urban feeling.

The service was fine, no problems at all.

The cost was about $130 for two with no alcohol, just tap water and coffee. Without question, I left feeling that I had gotten what I had paid for.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess if I waited a few days, I would have gotten another review...

Free Press: Roast is Restaurant of the Year

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090208/ENT08/902080319/Michae l+Symon+s+Roast+heats+up+Detro it

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3712
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jeezus, you people are high rollers. If you need me, I'll be across the street at the Lafayette.

:-) :-) :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3787
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jeezus, you people are high rollers. If you need me, I'll be across the street at the Lafayette.

HA!

And they say Detroit's the poorest city in the country...:-)

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I found the appetizers and sides at Roast underwhelming (yes, the brussel sprouts were very oily), the steaks were perfect and the wine was very nice (the sommelier helped us pick out a Ripasso). Nice atmosphere, friendly staff. I'd go again.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3473
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/food /review.asp?rid=24791

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roast isn't the cheapest place around, but it's really, really good. The quality of the food and service make this place worth it.

For what it's worth, I blogged about my experience at the place last November @ http://nemecek.blogspot.com/20 08/11/toasting-roast.html

Anyway, if you go, I highly recommend the mac & cheese. They make it with goat cheese and it's a tight race with Slows for the best mac & cheese in town.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 745
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mac & Goat Cheese? sounds temptingly interesting. Just when you thought mac & cheese was the one thing you couldn't gussy up and get at a high end restaurant, someone goes and makes mac & goat cheese.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.