Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Clubs lower fees as membership sags « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7688
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Slashed prices. Mass mailings. Gift certificates.

To attract new members, the toniest country clubs and yacht clubs of Metro Detroit are borrowing the sales tactics of Wal-Mart.

The Detroit Athletic Club is temporarily dropping its entrance fee from $5,000 to $2,500 this year.

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20099013103 80

Good news for many people because they have so much spare time on their hands due to all the lost jobs. :-)

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing how the mighty have fallen.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 865
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there's one thing rich, snotty, wannabees don't like, it's hobnobbing with their inferiors, UNLESS, it means they have to pay the difference. That's the great equalizer. They didn't want to pay their way at the DAC when it fell on hard times, so they let some of the lesser wannabees join to help pull the weight. Well folks, the lesser wannabees are jumping ship, or more appropriately, being thrown overboard.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kielsondrive, (Keelson Dr.)

Does that mean the swingers club on your block is going to lower their fees also?

rofl

[quote]so they let some of the lesser wannabees join to help pull the weight. Well folks, the lesser wannabees are jumping ship, or more appropriately, being thrown overboard.[end quote]

I guess that mansion over there on your block will be lowering their fees.

Har-e Har-e

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Purple, ??????????????, sincerely, 1KielsonDrive.

Purpleheart

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Yes KielsonDr, (Keelson Dr) there is a full fledged swingers club on Grey Island. Haven't you seen it in the papers or on TV?

One of The Fisher Mansion's (baby mansion’s) clones on Keelson Dr have been taken over by a swingers group. Police investigation shows that these swingers park their cars in the Hare Temple and get bused over to Grey Island for their debauchery. DPD busted them in the middle of a huge orgy last year (fall 2008) and the case is making its way through the courts as we speak.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3749
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debauchery - where do I sign up ?:-)

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Purple, I do get tired of correcting people on island history. The private road is Keelson Dr. The home on the island was owned by Dossin of Pepsi fame, the island is Grayhaven and the Krisna's are in the Lawrence Fisher Mansion on the mainland. It is unfair to believe that there was any collusion or knowledge by the Krishnas of these activities.I know many adherents, in fact my son will be marrying one.

Where the Dossin house stands there is parking for two cars only (driveway). A previous owner would do charity parties and did the same thing, although he used the local school lot with their permission.

The Garwood where the hippies party is long gone so to try to chide 1kielson for this swingers club is on beyond stupid.

What say you, a 1Kielson?

Bigb23, you missed the real party by several decades. It was at the Garwood Mansion.

Purpleheart

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thehedonistclub.com /Home.html (do not click the link if you find these things are repulsive)

Taken from DPD reports.

All of those mansions were built circa (the same time) and were referred to as the "baby mansions" by the same builder/architect. The Fisher Mansion (ala Hare-Hare)was the main building in the group and the other "baby mansions" were used as speak easy" of the time period.

According to DPD reports the Hare's not only "currently" supply parking for these events but cater them as well. The collusion of the owners of this debauchery and the Hare's are uncertain at this point. All will come clearer as the case works (yes it is current) through the judicial system (Federal Circuit) as the owners are suing the city of Detroit.

As per the police report, you can gain access to the swingers club by parking at the Hare's Temple through the back gate (left open) by the other cars on a Saturday night and board the bus. I'll let you judge how it compares to the Garwood days.

I don't think any charity parties are being undertaken there but for the owners’ personal charity and enjoyment.

As for being beyond stupid, you should really do some research before you banter that word around. My research was being conducted for completely "another purpose," namely the Tamara Greene murder and these events because evident in the work product.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 540
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone explain to me what is illegal about a swinger party or an orgy for that matter?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3750
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bigb23, you missed the real party by several decades.

Sumas, I have my stories from back then !

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a good one. Maybe we should have a Dyes Swingers Party.
http://www.swinglifestyle.com/ swinger/party/michigan/

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can someone explain to me what is illegal about a swinger party or an orgy for that matter?"

Nothing is illegal about them, but based on Purpleheart's postings, he/she certainly has issues with it.

"As for being beyond stupid, you should really do some research before you banter that word around."

Sound advice for everyone. You may want to start with not referring to the followers of the Krishna faith as "Hare's".

Purpleheart

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is illegal activity when a business is conducted in a residential neighborhood without a license. Furthermore proper codes should be followed for people who congregate at an establishment, IE; plumbing, electrical, egress, etc..

Not to mention the possibilities of Joe and Martha being there drunk and Sam takes advantage of Martha (without Martha's consent) and Joe and Sam go at it. You see these sorts of things never have a happy ending :-)

Besides I could care less what happens on Keelson Dr because I live several miles away from there, but don't you think those who live on Keelson should have some say about it?

And there is this matter about a law suit against the City of Detroit by these owners of this house.

Sumas

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I counted 4 historical provable inaccuracies in Purple's original post. In his second post, 3 more mis-statements.

There were only three true mansions within the entire original Grayhaven community. A little difficult to build a mansion on a 50 foot wide lot unless you were a Fisher or a Garwood and bought massive parcels.

Only three homes were built in the stucco style envisioned by Gray, the developer.

Only one, the Fisher Mansion was built by C. Howard Crane. The other twelve homes had assorted architects and builders. Perhaps the two other stucco homes maybe what are referred to as baby mansions since they were in the stucco style.

The home that these orgies took place in, I still call the Dossin Mansion, but by no means was it a mansion, just a stunning example of Eclectic Revival architecture.

The original Grayhaven was planned as a marina community. Its inception was long before Prohibition. 1913 to be exact. There were no speak easy saloons there, it was mostly a sedate private community. There is no history of rum running there, although the well to do , enjoyed access to the river, to provide for their personal cellars.

As to that sex club, it is certain that the temple provided parking. Catering, I wouldn't know. If you know how the current division in the way Grayhaven is configured, I doubt you will find collusion.

The Fisher Mansion is landside and this sex club is behind private gates on an island where they could not know what might be going on. Anything is possibble however.

What adults do behind closed doors is no business of mine. It sounds like this was a pay to play but since I will not open the hedonist link, I don't know.

Purple I would never rely on DPD historical data, they are police not historians. I honor you for pursuing the Tamara Green case, this sex club is certainly a new lead but has nothing to do with Grayhaven history.

Bigb23 Sorry, never implied you missed our generation's good times, just you missed "That" particular party at the Garwood. PS: I enjoy your posts. you are extremely witty and we always enjoy your posts.

Ferntruth I have done my research. I do not banter words lightly. I stick with "being beyond stupid" Please re read my post.

Purple I do not appreciate your snide remarks regarding the reference to a world religion as Hare's. You allude to a direct connection, to that sex ring. I have an open mind, every group has a few bad apples but please have a few facts before you insult a peaceful congregation with crimes.

The Fisher Mansion is rightfully called the Bhaktivedanta Cultural Center. I am Christian, but believe everyone has the right to follow their faith. The mocking of the Krishna chant just annoys me. What is the rosary but a chant, what is the statement of faith but a chant or what about the Gregorian Chants. All religions have what amount to chants that create calm, faith and communion with man, nature and a perceived God or a connection to nature.

The original post was about discounted private clubs and has now evolved into the history of an area, asex club and a nearby religious facility. I must now wait to see the out come.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 878
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of ruffled feathers here.

Purpleheart

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early Krishna-centered traditions are sometimes referred as Bhagavatism or Vasudevism - R D Ranade Mysticism in Maharashtra: Indian Mysticism,p.3: "Vasudevism was indeed no new religion, see: Dr. Bhandarkar, as has been contended sometimes. It was merely a new stress on certain old beliefs which had come down from the days of the Vedas."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8998787/VedasBrahma-Sutra-Mantras

(Message edited by purpleheart on February 10, 2009)

Sumas

Post Number: 684
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, now my interest is piqued. I knew of the bust a while back. What I didn't know was that there was a law suit against the city. What is the premise for this suit? Violation of privacy, police brutality or what? Since the papers no longer cover much news I would appreciate being brought up to speed. Thanks

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swing when I play saxophone, I didn't know it was illegal.

Purpleheart

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

search warrant was not signed

Sumas

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Dossin Mansion is now on the market for $600,000. The house built by Walter Sheets for Dossin, was sold to Aighler (sp)the old man lived to be over 100 years old. The old place fell into disrepair. When the old man died, his daughters, in their eighties, sold to an investment banker who did a beautiful job restoring and landscaping it. He got married, his wife got pregnant, didn't like the house so they put it on the market for $1.2 million. An interesting article with decent pictures was featured in the News. Note: a lot of history mentioned was dead wrong. You can find this article in the News archives, Rear View Mirror.

Purpleheart

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what you’re talking about, never concurred your identification as the Dossin Mansion.

Police records and plaintiff records in the case, show the names of Lisa and Adam [last name with held here] as the owners of the mansion that currently conducts swingers parties on the island.

If you want to know what house I'm talking about see the link I provided above, click the link, go to the pictures and see for yourself.

It is quite in depth and shows the speak easy and the (quite unique) boat house that goes actually inside the house! Records also show that this was the way a boat would go from Windsor right into the house loaded with booze and would hook up the kegs (still on the boat) to the actual working bar. Apparently they didn't even have to off load the kegs but left right inside the boat. The swingers don't use this type of apparatus to bring booze into their club now, they just go to the store and buy it.

As for the Green case, she was found up at the gas station shortly after what she calls an assault at the mansion. Which mansion that was is not entirely clear. Work in this area is leading to this swinger’s mansion and not the Manoogian as has been previously reported by the news.
______________________________ __________________

Sumas

Post Number: 741
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dossin Museum is on Belle Isle. 450 Keelson was and still is a private residence. I don't question that there was sex parties in that home. I just said up until a few years back there had only been three owners. I thought I made it plain the house was sold several years ago. I think there has been two owners since then. I lost interest in current Grayhaven history a long time ago but I dislike bad historical data being disseminated. Hope your leads on Tamara Green pan out. Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.