Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Villages host students in urban planning charette « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 712
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News out of Detroit's Villages neighborhood (Indian, East, West, and Islandview Villages, plus Gold Coast and the Joseph Berry Subdivision):

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2009902060396

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They covered this very in-depth yesterday on Detroit Today... interviews with people involved, the whole shot. You can download/listen to the audio of the show and see the post here:

http://www.wdetfm.org/detroitt oday/entry.php?entry=609

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone read the comments to that article? VERY VERY positive, that's great. Usually Freep.com attracts the debbie downers

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They'll spend the weekend coming up with nontraditional uses for vacant land in the district such as urban agriculture and bicycle lanes."

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I just think it's interesting that they consider bike lanes nontraditional.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wpitonya, bike lanes are nontraditional here. Remember, we still think it's 1955.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_C, Glad you saw and posted that article. We have a high degree of interest in Islandview Village. Hope you follow up with that group to see if they want a citizen round table.

Actually these kids have great notions along with silly ones. I have seen numerous studies like these over the years. The sad thing is that city government pays no attention to these studies. The kids get A's and graduate then move to a different state.

Best study I ever saw was one done regarding our 4 east area (Creekside) riverfront parks. It was outstanding. Few copies are around so I am happy to own one. Sad thing is none of the suggestions were ever implemented. That college study worked extensively with area residents.

Professorscott, not to be snide but we had bike lanes in the fifties. They were called sidewalks which is something many burbs lack.

New suburban developers have seemingly rediscovered this "novel" idea. They call them safety walks.

Sumas

Post Number: 675
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_C...Who are The Villagers Development Corporation? My computer won't open the MP3 so I am not trying to waste your time. I have never heard of them. I know that real estate agents showcase the villages sometimes. Is this that group?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a good deal of faith that the Villages CDC, Detroit Greenways Coalition, and private foundations will pay attention to the study.

Sumas, Sidewalks are not bike lanes. So called "safety paths" are wide sidewalks and are not suitable for biking according to the national guidelines (AASHTO). That's why when you Google for safety paths, it shows up nearly exclusively in Oakland County, where the Road Commission refuses to implement best (safest) practices for bicycle facilities.

(Message edited by fishtoes2000 on February 07, 2009)

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,

The Villages CDC is an umbrella organization that encompasses ALL the villages, (East, West, English, Islndview, Indian) as well as the Gold Coast along Jefferson (Apts/Co-ops) and the Berry Subdivision. Their purpose is to promote the area and try to find ways to sustain/improve by studies like these, writing for grants, working toward NEZ status, things like that. Most of the villages also have their own seperate Associations/CDC's for this purpose as well. The "Villages" is for the overall area and they do a great job.

www.thevillagesofdetroit.org

edited for grammar...

(Message edited by billybbrew on February 07, 2009)

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know, converting vacant land (other than former rail rights-of-way) to bike lanes is untraditional, which is not surprising because how many cities have enough vacant land for you to do something like that?

Not to be one of the much-derided optimists around here, but the vast amount of cheap and empty land around town could allow a lot of experimentation that would not be feasible if land values were higher. If we are lucky, some of the experiments may pan out.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 706
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Converting vacant non-railroad property to greenways/trails (not bike lanes -- those are on the street by definition) would be unique. It hasn't really happened in Detroit yet, but it seem very possible. Some vacant land has been eyed for pocket parks adjacent to greenways.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c: Thought the idea to study all of the Villages was a good idea. Any idea when the first report/presentation will be made and where to get hard copy. I willl also contact Villages CDC.

The newspaper report indicated that the "tourists" (no disrespect to them) where to give a presentation at the end of the week-end at their Gleaners HQ.

Did you get an opprtunity to attend that session? I would like to read your comments.

Of course, anyone else.

If this was a little disjointed, I am creating my first post here. First one got eaten by the server.

Eric_c

Post Number: 715
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try to answer your questions in detail later, but for now, let me just say that the students did a very fine job in a very short period of time offering suggestions to manage assets in the Villages and make improvemnts where applicable.

One difference between this charette and others where "the students just get their A and go home", is the fact that we have an active neighborhood association who will be able to work toward actually implementing the suggestions. The Villages association can work as a lobbying force to appeal to the city and let them know what we want.

Details later.

Sumas

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Eric c,

I was not trying to be demeaning. These kids over the years have done some excellent work. Please re read my post. My angst is that the city fails to look at the innovative concepts these kids offer.

I live in one of the villages and have a significant interest in another. If you want a pissing match, which I doubt, my village has a great association too. This is why the village areas do well over all. Involved citizens.

Hope one of the posters will give meeting dates and locations for the Village Association Group.

Whoops, I thought East Village meant, East English Village. I was wrong. We have been very active in Creekside a riverfront community too. It does seem however that the use of the word village creates a stronger sense of community.

We do have a strong vested interest in Islandview so please keep us up to date.

Eric_c

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhhhh...EXCUSE ME??????

Perhaps you should re-read MY post, Sumas, then correct your tone. Pissing match?

The fact of the matter is that I never took your post to be demeaning, nor was the tone of my post intended in the least to be snide. In fact, you brought up a very valid point. I used your quote because it was apt and was in fact, addressed during the conference.

My point stands: "One difference between this charette and others where "the students just get their A and go home", is the fact that we have an active neighborhood association who will be able to work toward actually implementing the suggestions. The Villages association can work as a lobbying force to appeal to the city and let them know what we want."

I 'll post details later if I have time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.