Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hard Rock Cafe to close... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You heard it here first. Feel free to wait for confirmation,but I have heard it twice today from downtown restaurant owners.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Georgia Brown, too.
Honestly, I have always thought that Hard Rock Cafes are sterile, cookie stamped, and very expensive for what they offer.
It is sad, though, to see our economy unravel like it is. More jobs lost.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3718
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn...

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you're proclamation may be true, haven't people been saying HRC is going to close ever since it opened?

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be.. horrible. If Border's and Hard Rock Cafe both close, say goodbye to so much progress we've made. They may just be two businesses, but they represented so much, for so many reasons.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3782
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame. :-(

Just imagine downtown Detroit as a hoopie that made it to the top of the hill (that lead to some type of springs or resort), and just before it could make it to the other side, the car ran out of gas, and slid backwards down the hill into the river.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 735
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought Hard Rocks in general were over priced for their food quality, and they played their music too loud to talk to the person across from you. However they did have a really good Quesadilla that was unique and will be missed. It also served as a great place to get out of the sun and cool down with a drink on a hot Jazz Fest afternoon.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 619
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll wait for confirmation, before believing the sky is falling...better yet, I'll go have a beer and burger at the HRC and wait for that confirmation.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checked with two managers who are good friends and they separately said false to this rumor.

Timmyjohn
Username: Timmyjohn

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is true I am going down there and getting something from the store.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just posted the latest on the Hard Rock on my blog for Crain's:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/s hea

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TimmyJ- why not go down and support them even if it's NOT true.

Why does everyone lament the loss of businesses in the City, yet never pays any attention or commerce to them when they're around?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bshea

@Rrl... I hate that, people want the best when it's closing but don't support it before rumors hit.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that's good. I wouldn't have doubted it though. I mean in this crazy winter weather and even colder economy, who would go downtown and patronize a business when another like business is a block down the road. Though I was very skeptical at first, glad to hear this isn't true.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

reallllyyyy

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover, I don't get your last post. What does the winter weather have to do with not patronizing the HRC but patronizing a place a block away(what place anyway)? If the weather is too bad to go to the HRC, then it's too bad to go to the other place "down the road" as you put it.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the hard rock cafe sucks, that's why i don't support it.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4376
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people would go to the HRC in their own town more than once, if at all. Its success requires visitors, thus its success rides on the ability to get conventions and sporting events downtown.

It is one of those "legitimizing" businesses that makes outsiders feel comfortable in your town, so it would be bad to lose.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be moronic to close the HRC before the final four is here in a few weeks. It will be a huge money maker with all the out of towners here. Therefore I do not believe these rumors.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce what I mean is it might be too cold for people to travel all the way downtown. If they wanted to go out, it would just be easier to go to Applebees or TGI Friday's. Of course, I'm sure there's many Metro Detroiters that don't even know an HRC exists downtown.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown & all of Detroit generally does a very shitty job of saying there's anything else down here except the Tigers, the Lions, and the Wings.

I think that the city is continually hurt by the fact it does not have it's own chamber to promote it's interests. There's the regional chamber and the DMCVB, but they're both REGIONAL organizations. Troy, Birmingham, Royal Oak, even Madison Heights/Hazel Park has a local chamber, and Detroit should too.

There are some wonderful exceptions of individuals trying to do their best to share knowledge, but there's only so much they can do.

It needs to be a private group that actually represents the needs of businesses and their need to attract people, even if they're suburbo-tourists that spend $100 and leave. That's more employment for jobs that Detroiters can easily do and retain population.

There is a lot of political resistance to this. But it's what needs to happen - obviously, the government doesn't want to lose it's place as kingmakers. Maybe the new administration will be kinder to the idea, or say a Bing administration (I would assume that he would, being a business owner).

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digi - you are right. The downtown business do need to do a better job of advertising themselves or get ready to turn out the lights.
Times are tight, you have to earn folks hard earned cash. HRC and others should do a better job of promotion. A occassional promo reminding folks they are there. Whatever happenend to Downtown Detroit Days? Pub crawls? Also, many of the businesses try to cater to downtown "visitors" as opposed to the clientele that is readily available. Such as city workers, police, office workers, etc...
Many of downtown workers have moved out of the city due to change in residency laws. They collect their check, and hit the highway. A smart business would find a way to appeal to this clientele, and get them to leave some of that check before hitting the road. Discounts to city workers. Buy ten get one free meal, whatever. Get them in the door, get that cash before T.G.I. Friday or Buffalo Wild Wings does.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R56: "It also served as a great place to get out of the sun and cool down with a drink on a hot Jazz Fest afternoon."

I agree, but have you tried Floran's or Eph's during the Festival?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was surprised to hear this news. Every time we've been there, it's been full. Our waiter told us the Detroit Hard Rock's clientele was much different from other locations--it's considered a "locals" restaurant instead of a tourist destination.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As was overheard by some random - maybe some advice for those looking for something to do:

"When Harvey Milk and other gay business owners on Castro Street were refused membership in the local Eureka Valley Merchants Association, they formed their own business association. It was the begining of Milk's political career. He didn't wait for some magical messiah of a mayor to do it for him. Then again, I doubt Milk spent much time droning on about mission statements or power lunches either."

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work downtown and will agree that Hard Rock's food is mediocre. Typical stuff from mass-produced food suppliers like Sysco. I also will admit that I am a bit of a foodie and there are VERY FEW restaurants in the city proper that are A-level _ I'm not talking expensive, I'm just talking about innovative, interesting, well-prepared, consistent food with good service. Just go to Toronto or Chicago or tiny New Orleans. They blow the socks off Detroit when it comes to dining out. That said, Hard Rock is a decent place with a decent burger and many folks _ local and visitors _ will be comfortable going there. If it closes, which would be a possiblity cuz I'm convinced their rent is expensive, that would hurt downtown. The challenge of finding a replacement very, very hard.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be back for the final four, but I won't be eating at the Hard Rock Cafe... Detroit Beer Company one of the days and somewhere in Greektown for the finals!

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lodgedodger - Don't worry, it's not closing, only a rumor.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 674
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard Rock Cafe probably makes Tourist feel more Comfortable.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would have made a great amount of cash had it been near Partridge Creek...just saying.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hard Rock Cafe probably makes Tourist feel more Comfortable.

the first time i went to Tijuana, i felt as if i walked into the American Embassy when i stepped inside the HRC for a Coke and a burger...

the next couple of times, not so much. i was more familiar with the surroundings and didnt feel so out of place...

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lt. Dave, I know the feeling...

HRCs are a little bit of home when you're traveling and homesick.

*hug*

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4381
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, Patrick, because it's just a themed version of Applebee's, which thrives in exurbia.

The musical heritage of northern Macomb county lacks, unfortunately.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the HRC Detroit once a few months after it opened.

I have been to a few others and it was by far the worst.

Our server was more interested in the football game than us and the food wasn't even as good as other HRCs. Which I don't think is anything more than average.

24grille
Username: 24grille

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Detroiters: A friend told me about this thread and after reading Jmil and Urbanpioneer's comments, I felt I had to sign-up for Detroit Yes and spread a little good news...

Two weeks ago, 24 Grille opened in the Book-Cadillac Hotel (Michigan Ave side). It is owned by 4 Detroiters whose careers have been built on our enthusiasm for the city of Detroit, and now we are passionately committed to the city with this investment in Downtown Detroit. The recent economic times have been a challenge for our city but I hope you will support our latest attempt to bring more amenities and life to downtown Detroit.

Urbanpioneer, I hope 24 Grille can be a counterpoint to your early posting. We pride ourselves on our service culture and innovative menu. Urbanpioneer's quote:

"I also will admit that I am a bit of a foodie and there are VERY FEW restaurants in the city proper that are A-level _ I'm not talking expensive, I'm just talking about innovative, interesting, well-prepared, consistent food with good service. Just go to Toronto or Chicago or tiny New Orleans. They blow the socks off Detroit when it comes to dining out."

Detroit, I hope you all will enjoy. Cheers! www.Spa1924Grille.com

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've eaten at Roast and was impressed. That would be one of the few on the a-list. Hanger steak was amazing; marrow bones were interesting. GREAT wine list. I still maintain there are VERY FEW restaurants that are A-level in the city-proper. For example, I like Slow's - affordably priced but service is inconsistent and it's OK. IF you go to Memphis, or even the small rib joints in Detroit neighborhoods, their food is better. I think I will try the new grill this weekend. Thanks for recommendation

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best to you 24G, I hope your business is very successful. Would not have known 24 Grille existed without your post. The wife & I are going out to dinner next friday, I will run 24 Grille past her.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

24grille, I don't care about innovative or interesting, just make it taste good.

Also, people on this site are amazing food critics...eat at a place one time, and suddenly you are an expert on service and the quality of everything on the menu. I have been to HRC many times, and although I am no fan of chains in general, I actually find the food there slightly better than most chains. Good portions, and good taste....nothing spectacular, but a nice place for an office lunch or slightly special occasion for someone in the office....I challenge you to find another rest. downtown that has that kind of selection, at that price point....Fishbones, as an example, is waaay more expensive and the quality has waned in recent years....

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

went to the HRC Detroit once a few months after it opened.

I have been to a few others and it was by far the worst.

Our server was more interested in the football game than us and the food wasn't even as good as other HRCs. Which I don't think is anything more than average.

My experience is just the opposite. I've been to a few HRCs and HRC Detroit was by far the best experience. I try avoid all HRCs except the Detroit one.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what happened to all that stuff from the Metro Music Cafe` that used to be in Royal Oak? They had a shit load of stuff in the basement storage area.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll put in a plug for the HRC Detroit. Been there many times. It's not fine dining, but it is excellent value. Service has always been friendly and efficient. The menu is well selected so that everybody from kids to students to adults can find something to order. Yet the menu is not so large that the kitchen is overextended and unable to offer much fresh selection. The room itself is interesting and exciting without going over the top. The bar is very cool. It's always been a positive experience dining there. Occasionally, management has the music too loud but I've seen people ask and it has been turned down a little. Just because the place is part of a chain and not exclusive to our city is no reason not to patronize a local business. The place is an important asset to downtown and should be supported.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't think we needed another "..... closed" thread so I'll post on this one that the coney island in Comerica Park, I think it was a Leo's- is now closed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.