Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Petition circulating - Selecting Council members based on Districts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a huge supported of electing Detroit City Council members based on Districts. I was told that there is a petition circulating to have this added to the charter revision that is being put in front of voters in a few months. I NEED to sign this petition, anyone know where I can?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 895
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is a House Representative any better than a Senator?

What is needed is good people.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a start for more accountability!

<313>

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold accountable the people that are already there. What is preventing you from doing so?

If there are districts, will council members be required to have regular neighborhood meetings with the citizens? Why can't they do that now?

Detroit313

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit, I absolutely agree!

But the collective few in the CC [IMOA] feel that don't work for the people anymore. And Detroit's are satisfied with the direction of the city, the petty bickering of the CC, and the lack of city services.

The platform of CHANGE can work there too!

Now is the time to energize the sleeping giant Detroit once was and take back the city from the greed of the terrible political machine that snarls the progress of Detroit.

<313>

Detroit313

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit, I absolutely agree!

But the collective few in the CC [IMOA] feel that don't work for the people anymore. And Detroit's are satisfied with the direction of the city, the petty bickering of the CC, and the lack of city services.

The platform of CHANGE can work there too!

Now is the time to energize the sleeping giant Detroit once was and take back the city from the greed of the terrible political machine that snarls the progress of Detroit.

<313>

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no opposition between having "good people" and a more accountable, representative structure. You can have both at the same time. In fact, you probably won't have one without the other.

Perhaps one of the reasons the city council works so poorly is not because the people in it are bad people, like Retroit says, but because the council is structured in such a way that members become paternalistic and remote from citizens' concerns. And while there's nothing stopping residents from trying to hold members accountable to their communities, there's little that COMPELS members to give a damn, either, which I think is the point.

Anyway, I think it might help, although I'm not great illusions about how much it will help. So, is there a petition or a movement afoot?

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What could help is the creation of districts, the imposing of term limits, and the significant reduction of pay.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Term limits would do wonders for municipal governments and the electorate.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's two sides to the term limit arguement. Why would you want to end the service of somebody that is doing a good job? And take the chance of ending up with somebody that can't do the job? On the other hand, distric government is long overdue in Detroit. Won't see the current structure buy into it. Your only hope would that the issue gains traction as a policy issue in the Mayoral race.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's two sides to the term limit arguement. Why would you want to end the service of somebody that is doing a good job? And take the chance of ending up with somebody that can't do the job? On the other hand, district government is long overdue in Detroit. Won't see the current structure buy into it. Your only hope would that the issue gains traction as a policy issue in the Mayoral race.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Politics should NEVER be a career in itself. If you cannot do what you intended within 12 years you have failed and should move on. If you did a great job then have the satisfaction of knowing that and hand over the keys to someone just as competent.

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to a city manager system and give the strong mayor the boot.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DCMorrison,

You can sign the petition at the Detroit offices of the League of Women Voters. The address can be found on their website

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.